Our new Secretary of the Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfolch

WKR
Take a look at who'll in charge of the EPA and the State Department.

I fully expect all of national resources to be handed over to the oil and gas industry a.s.a.p.

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
Props to Wyoming Republican Governor Matt Mead: Wyoming gov. says state doesn't have the law, money to handle public land transfer

"Gov. Matt Mead said the transfer of federal public land to the state is legally and financially impractical, as lawmakers continue to eye amending the Wyoming Constitution to accommodate receiving more terrain.

Mead said in an interview Wednesday with the Star-Tribune that two state attorneys general have advised him that Wyoming is not legally structured, through an enabling act that began the process of statehood in the late 1800s, to obtain federal land. States such as Utah have enabling acts that provide a stronger case for transfer, but even they are battling to obtain the land, he said."

elkyinzer

WKR
Death by a thousand cuts...and this is a pretty deep one.

Trump talked out of both sides of his mouth on this issue (big surprise there!) and we see which side won out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think one could make an argument that states could do a better job of managing lands than the Feds, but, and it's a big but!, they simply don't have the resources to do it. A major fire, short comings in the budget and a whole bunch of possible scenarios that could tempt a state to sell off some of the said lands "just this once". Much too risky imo.

I think one could make an argument that states could do a better job of managing lands than the Feds, but, and it's a big but!, they simply don't have the resources to do it. A major fire, short comings in the budget and a whole bunch of possible scenarios that could tempt a state to sell off some of the said lands "just this once". Much too risky imo.

Depends on what you want it managed for? One time profit? Oil, gas, or mineral extraction?
Or for public use?

Not everyone believes management means the same as we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a lot of blind party alignment in here. If this new SOI appointment was made by Clinton or Sanders would you guys who are championing for her causes feel any different?

We have to understand the issue of public land sell off has little to do with the letter in front our representatives names. Putting people like Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers who is for the selling/transferring of our public lands in positions of power will only make our fight more difficult.

I don't care what letter is in front of someone's name, and I care even less who would appoint them. I care about their past and future actions.

Those in charge who put income above all and have the short sighted attitude of "drill, baby, drill" will almost always side with policies aimed at increasing jobs/income now, regardless of what it may mean for the future.

Problem is, the decisions they make today can have negative economic effects tomorrow. I live in a mountain town whose entire lifeblood relies on skiing, rafting, hunting, climbing 14ers, fly fishing, etc. Every one of these activities occur on public land and, once public access is restricted or eliminated, our local business owners will be the first to notice.

beefman, based on the county your in im assuming your in Salida or BV. Those towns would absolutely fold if access was cut off.. I love it up there cause it is an environment that rest solely on public access. And the people all know it and love it. Thats a part of america we need to preserve forever and thats a lifestyle that everyone should have the ability to persue. And you know if corporate america took over they would rape the natural beauty too, leaving you with the chopped off Appalachian mountains like in West VA and Eastern Kentucky.. a few jobs now cant every replace what we already have. Just ask the coal towns back east.

beefman, based on the county your in im assuming your in Salida or BV. Those towns would absolutely fold if access was cut off.. I love it up there cause it is an environment that rest solely on public access. And the people all know it and love it.

Yeah, I'm in Salida and, as you mentioned, we'd be completely bust without the public land access we have in Chaffee County. After it became evident Trump was going to name McMorris, my wife and I tried to estimate the number of days every year we access public lands...we came up with a conservative number of 300. This is an issue that can have a huge impact on my day to day life as well as fundamentally change the economic landscape of the Arkansas Valley. There are places like Salida and BV all over the Western US who have a lot on the line with this issue.

I think we need as many user groups ob board with this as possible. As hunters and fisherman, we're on the frontlines but need the help of peak baggers, mountain bikers, hikers and anyone who values the uniquely American concept of public land.

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know much about this guy but this is extremely encouraging news

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as interior secretary

Looks like he has the support of BHA, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, and others. Has broken ranks with Republicans on public lands transfer in the past, and pushed for full funding of the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

Props to Trump on this one

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Looks like the gun was jumped just a little ....

The Theodore Roosevelt partnership foundation just posted this on their Facebook feed.

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as interior secretary - The Washington Post

I think this is as good a pick as we could've hoped for in a Republican.

Land Tawney, president and CEO of the Montana-based Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, described Zinke on Tuesday as “a straight shooter” who has established credibility with outdoors enthusiasts in the state. During a recent meeting with him at a distillery in Whitefish, the congressman’s hometown, Zinke walked into the place in flip-flops.

“You wouldn’t know he’s a congressman,” Tawney said. “He really prides himself on being a Theodore Roosevelt Republican, and he lives that a little bit more than other people.”

Looks like you were wrong. Zinke of MT was selected and I can't think of a better choice personally.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
That's great news if true, nothing official has been stated though. Think we all got our pantries in a twist a little early, let's not celebrate early either :)

The Theodore Roosevelt partnership foundation just posted this on their Facebook feed.

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as interior secretary - The Washington Post

Land Tawney, president and CEO of the Montana-based Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, described Zinke on Tuesday as “a straight shooter” who has established credibility with outdoors enthusiasts in the state. During a recent meeting with him at a distillery in Whitefish, the congressman’s hometown, Zinke walked into the place in flip-flops.

“You wouldn’t know he’s a congressman,” Tawney said. “He really prides himself on being a Theodore Roosevelt Republican, and he lives that a little bit more than other people.”

View attachment 44041

aion2come

WKR
"A lifelong hunter and fisherman, the 55-year-old Zinke has defended public access to federal lands even though he frequently votes against environmentalists. This summer, he quit his post as a member of the GOP platform-writing committee after the group included language that would have transferred federal land ownership to the states.

“What I saw was a platform that was more divisive than uniting,” Zinke said at the time. “At this point, I think it’s better to show leadership.”

Trump also opposes such land transfers, but the provision made it into the official Republican platform." msn

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as Interior secretary

Not sure what happened, but every outlet said Rodgers was the pick. So either something happened behind the scenes(i.e. She turned it down, sons put a bug in his ear, or something else)
But this option is better than Rodgers that's for sure.

On a side note, BHA needs to get their shit together. Wether the guy wears flip flops is irrelevant. I'd like to see them put some actual thought in what they start writing, they are not a small potatoes grass roots org anymore, they need to stop acting like it.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Reposted via Big Fin ...Randy

Congressman Zinke, from my state of Montana, is the best of those under consideration for Secretary of Interior; at least in my opinion. His nomination was being pushed by many in the hunting community. Most involved would say that the nomination of Congressman Zinke was aided by the influence of Donald Trump, Jr.
Congressman Zinke is a hunter. Zinke has stood against the crazies who have promoted the position of selling the public lands of the west.

His critics will point to his positions about reform of land management rules, his opinions on litigation reform, and his emphasis on forest management. If it is like most nominations, everyone will find something in his record of which they are critical.

Those of us who pushed for his nomination are thankful to see it come to fruition. He will be on a hot seat, as the left will not like his positions on land management policy reforms and his strong defense of keeping public lands in public hands will make him a target for the fringe elements in his own party.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zinke is his own man they have found out. When he first ran for our lone US Rep seat, the "establishment" Republicans did not want him at all, but he won anyways (sounds vaguely familiar :))

I think he will do pretty well in that position, time will tell.

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan Zinke has my full support for this position. A great choice for interior!

Was getting a little worried when the talk was Rogers, am feeling better now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.