Our new Secretary of the Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
well lets hope trump sticks to what he said..... “I don’t like the idea because I want to keep the lands great, and you don’t know what the state is going to do,” Trump told Field & Stream. “I mean, are they going to sell if they get into a little bit of trouble? And I don’t think it’s something that should be sold. We have to be great stewards of this land. This is magnificent land.”

and doesnt act like every other politician that we have known

I'd like to know exactly which lands are on the chopping block. National Forests? They'll have to fight for that one, and Standing Rock will look like a girl scout camp in comparison.

But that 1/2 section of BLM sitting in the middle of Ted Turner's ranch? I could care less if they sold it.

JWP58

WKR
I remember him being opposed to selling public lands (a claim made largely by his sons, who are avid hunters). And then later being sort of for it when campaigning in Nevada. And now maybe being against it again because he said a few things about Teddy Roosevelt. And then nominating an Interior Secretary who is definitely for it.

What do you remember?

Sent using Tapatalk

I remember that most left wing folks said gun owners had nothing to worry about when Obama was elected. Now the left wingers are losing their minds before trump has even been sworn in....irony I suppose.

In reality this fight will be fought in congress, but hopefully trump will be a last line of defense for public land. I could see him making a deal on tiny private land locked areas of blm, but not large scale transfers.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
But that 1/2 section of BLM sitting in the middle of Ted Turner's ranch? I could care less if they sold it.

would be better if that 1/2 section was traded for like, adjacent to more blocked up BLM; OR if sold, $ earmarked to purchase 1/2 section of deeded adjacent to public

belly-deep- love your signature btw :D

I hope they sell every piece of land off that will create jobs.

Biggest herd of bulls I've ever saw was 200 yards from our rig floor

Better for my kids to have a stable economy then a two week hunting season that takes 5 years applying for.

As my ancestors said, you can't eat the scenery.

Then again most people don't know how government took over these lands in the first place.

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider

Then again most people don't know how government took over these lands in the first place.

Cool, that'll be great hunting for you. The rest of us will be trespassing on your employers' private property, hope they don't mind.

As for how the government took over these lands in the first place, you might want to read up on that. The vast majority of them have always belonged to the Federal government since before the States even existed. No one "took them over".

Sent using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I'd like to know exactly which lands are on the chopping block. National Forests? They'll have to fight for that one, and Standing Rock will look like a girl scout camp in comparison.

The farce at standing rock is a horrible comparison. If Iwould be expected to act like those eco terrorist to keep public land. Sell it.

I don't want the land sold at all but after dealing with that shit show up there for the last 4 months it hits a nerve. I have never been so happy to see -15

kicker338

WKR
But they are federal and we have access. Selling to state or private and we will no longer have access.
r
Access your kidding me. come out here to nth Idaho and i'le show you access. Water barred roads, gated roads signs saying restricted road areas, stay on designated roads, signs saying use of vehicles ie atv's to retrieve game prohibited now that's real access.

JWP58

WKR
r
Access your kidding me. come out here to nth Idaho and i'le show you access. Water barred roads, gated roads signs saying restricted road areas, stay on designated roads, signs saying use of vehicles ie atv's to retrieve game prohibited now that's real access.

Ya having to walk is such a bummer. Sorry vehicles belong on the road.

If federal lands get sold, there won't be any access. I can't speak for the western states but here in KY, if and when those lands get sold. Large companies will buy them just to reduce their carbon footprint. I work for a coal fired power plant here in KY, we own over 3000 acres. The plant actually sits on maybe 200. The rest is to reduce our carbon footprint. Same goes for Alcan, it's plant sits right next to ours. They own 4600 acres. The only use 200. How do you think KY has an elk heard? Do you think it's on publicly accessible land, maybe during elk season. Look at the Revelation Energy land. They enrolled over 5000 acres in the program so they could get a golden ticket of a bull elk tag, so the execs could hunt. But that same 5000 is only open to the public for elk hunting during elk season. What that means is, you have to have an elk tag in your pocket to enter the property. So no camping or fishing or hiking or anything else. You are allowed to enter to shoot your elk. And absolutely no preseason scouting.

So that's what our federal lands will be if sold. Very very limited access, if any!!! Large companies will purchase, not to add jobs, but reduce their carbon footprint to meet EPA standards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
Large companies will purchase, not to add jobs, but reduce their carbon footprint to meet EPA standards.

Yeah that's another thing. With natural gas as cheap as it is and crude prices still fairly low, there is not going to be a lot of demand to flood the market with more cheap product.

I'll wager you'll see energy companies going on a buying spree to lock up land, but then sitting on it until commodity prices are more favorable to develop.

Sent using Tapatalk

Chad E

WKR
I hope they sell every piece of land off that will create jobs.

Better for my kids to have a stable economy then a two week hunting season that takes 5 years applying for.

As my ancestors said, you can't eat the scenery.

Your post terrifies me. I am blown away to see this kind of attitude from the hunting community but I guess nothing should surprise me at this point. The federal lands of the United States are there for all of us. Once they are gone they are gone. I have had some amazing adventures across the west utilizing these lands and the idea that people within my own group are pushing for their sale is mind boggling.

Jobs, industry and the economy are constantly subject change, ebb and flow. Once lands have been sold they will never come back to public ownership. You your kids and all Americans can hunt seasons all across the west that are far longer than 2 weeks and take far less that 5 years to draw so I highly suggest you take the opportunity to do so if that is what is holding you back.

I'm sure your ancestors had different pressures on them than we do now to secure food but if the only reason you hunt is to eat something and you get nothing out of the "scenery" I think your missing a huge part of equation, but to each their own. Selling the public lands to gain jobs in the short run would be a disaster for our country. No longer having places to hunt, fish, hike, and enjoy the wild places would be removing a huge part of what I feel makes America great.

The DOI has a lot of leeway in transfer and sale of federal land. Some summary from the following https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34273.pdf (cross posted from another forum):
They have the primary responsibility for identifying what lands to acquire and what land to dispose of.
For parcels less than 2500 acres, the Secretary has sole authority to approve the sale of federal lands. No presidential or Congressional approval necessary.
The primary means of disposal shall be competitive bid.
The justifications the Secretary may use for the sale of federal lands are extremely broad, and sound very similar to all the justifications that have been given for why the federal lands should be transferred to states.
I don't care what Donald Trump says, I care what he does. If he was truly against public land transfer, why would he even float the name of McMorris-Rodgers? Of course he also hammered Clinton and Ted Cruz about their cozy relationship with Goldman Sachs and now has 3 key positions filled by former GS employees. He also said he would repeal Obamacare then said he wants to keep parts of it. He said he was going to lock up Clinton and then said he wouldn't. Point is, Trump is a liar, always has been. He cares nothing about running this country and will toe the line of the Republican party. Shit, he will still produce that damn reality show in his "free time". I really hope I am wrong and he does a good job but his actions since the election have not made me hopeful.

And that I think strikes at the point. Is it "Ted Turners land" or is he the current steward of that land? Will Ted live forever. We think in such short time frames. Maybe the next owner opens to hunting, or donates to a conservation easement, or breaks it up into parcels. What then with OUR land in the middle. You tend to become more of a critical thinker when focused on your great grandchildren and not yourself. Same story with climate change, pace of energy development etc.

JWP58

WKR
He can't be any worse than hilldog, crazy uncle bernie, or ted cruz. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

TheTone

WKR
r

Yeah man walking is such a bummer...

I'll take that over our timber company and state lands that are increasingly devoid of trees, covered in weeds and cattle and have four wheeler hunters cruising everywhere.

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
He can't be any worse than hilldog, crazy uncle bernie, or ted cruz. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Since you like nicknames so much, how about Comrade Trump? Helped into office by Russian intelligence, and preparing to sell off your birthright to multi-national oil interests.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.