Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
My current rig is nearing 300k miles and I will likely be in the market for a new truck in the near future. Truck prices are outrageous right now and I can't rap my mind around paying $30-40k for a 5-10 yr old truck with 60-100k miles.

I'm seeing 20 yr old trucks with 100k miles for $10-15k and it's very tempting. My current truck is an 05 Chevy and has everything I need and serves me well but unfortunately they don't last forever.

I will likely not attempt to resell my new truck in the future and plan to run it into the ground so resell value isn't much of a concern.

Someone convince me that spending over double for a truck that is 15 years newer is a better idea than buying an old truck with identical miles.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with a 20 year old truck is getting decent parts when you need them. At that age it can be difficult to get factory parts especially electronics. What will it look like when those trucks are 30 years old if you plan on keeping it that long?

Rob5589

WKR
Not a better idea for sure. Look at it this way; how many repairs (if even needed) can you do to the current ride for 10-15k? The 4.8/5.3 are easily sourced/replaced as is the 4L60. I had a 03 and parts were easily found.

180ls1

WKR
I would say you at least owe it to yourself to drive a newer truck. The 19+ rams ride as nice and *any* luxury car. I know that may not sound high on the list but that along with other safety features can be really nice.

The base models v6's can be had for a good price and have the same power/reliability as your v8.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
An older truck probably will have some issues. Are you capable of fixing small things yourself?

I’d rather fix a truck that’s easier to work on myself then by a new one that’s hard to work on when it breaks.

If your truck is reliable, I personally wouldn’t sell it. Quality is so hit and miss with vehicles. Even if you buy something known to be reliable, you just don’t know what you’re getting in to, and guarantee anything made in the last 10ish years is going to have way more electrical components to break than your old Chevy.

I personally toyed with upgrading my 2010 Tundra. While the fancy stuff with the newer trucks catches your eye, it doesn’t make it so truck stuff any better, and then I just have a new truck that I’m worried about getting a door ding. And you also have more property tax and higher insurance. Financially it cant be justified, though that isn’t the only factor.

BKM

FNG
Time seems to degrade many parts on a vehicle just as much as mileage. I sold a lower mileage (just under100,000) older (2013) GMC Sierra to the company I work for and it has been breaking down and getting repaired ever since.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Me personally I would shy away from anything made 2020 to current. It seems like everything has kinda gone down hill quality wise (could be wrong) . And never a new model year.

For example I'd rather buy a 1st gen tundra with 160k miles then a 22-24 tundra that's going to have a main bearing go....for 65k.

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
Unless you are going to cycle a new truck every 2-4yrs. New trucks do not make sense to own. Most are very unreliable and cost substantially more to repair. They are not made as well as the older ones. If you find a low mileage what appears to be well maintained truck you like. It most likely makes more sense vs a newer truck. Good luck!

go_deep

WKR
The perk of an older vehicle is that there easier to work on yourself and parts are generally cheaper too. So the real question is, can you work on and fix vehicles to make it worth your while if there are a few more repairs with an older vehicle?

tann435

FNG
Buying from an old timmer sigle owner with service records is a blessing we see once in a blue moon. Good luck.

Weldor

WKR
It's scary when a used truck is close to what a new one is. I see the high prices on vehicles here in AZ. But most sit on the lot and go to auction after awhile. They would like you to believe people are paying those prices. Private party is even worse, they think they struck gold.

KenLee

WKR
Buying from an old timmer sigle owner with service records is a blessing we see once in a blue moon. Good luck.
These days, usually the old timer has passed away if that truck leaves his garage.
Old folks aren't getting rid of a good truck to pay $60-100k for a new one.

tann435

FNG
These days, usually the old timer has passed away if that truck leaves his garage.
Old folks aren't getting rid of a good truck to pay $60-100k for a new one.
maybe only every other red moon then.

But hey i hear ya, what the heck happend to the world?! I sold off some stuff in 2015 ( river sled boat, crawler jeep, & few guns with intentions of upgrading once i retired from Army in 23' ..... big ol' back fire! I coulds have made a small fortune if i had kept and sold those items in this new market... no I hoard!

Sure wish a new plain Jane manual 4wd tacoma or Ranger could be bought for 25/26000.
I would buy new.
But never will I give 40000 or more for any vehicle unless it’s making me money.