New Truck--Dependability

Billinsd

WKR
I have a 21 offer on the table right now. They want 45k on one with 45k miles. They are selling it for roughly 2021 MSRP, which is a tough pill to swallow. Plus another 3-4k for taxes, tag, etc.

If I spend 10k more I can get a new F150 5.0 V8 with a 125k FORD warranty.

It's making for a tough decision.

Do I pay the extra money or do I pay basically MSRP on a 3 year old truck with 50k miles and a year warranty and throw the 10k I would save toward investments.

WHAT DO I DO?
Talk them down, unless that is a great price and they goat multiple offers. Offer them $40 or $42. I bought a 21 last summer at $1k below 2021 msrp with 30,000 with no regrets. I was a good price for a great truck that had everything I wanted. I bought a 100,000 mile extended 5 year warranty for about $1,500 for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
RE: super extended Toyota warranties. I have no personal warranty experience. At 53yo I've only ever purchased ONE new vehicle in my life. I am borderline terrified.

I want to ask how often does "Can we please see the receipts from every Dealer serviced oil change" ever happen when attempting warranty repairs?

Had a buddy that got completely F'd on a Ram truck w a Hemi......he changed the oil. But couldn't prove it since he had no receipts. He ate a brand new engine and install out of pocket.

Do you really expect to be able to use the warranty up to the 100K mileage?
I believe extended warranty’s from different manufacturers and even dealers you bring the vehicle into various considerably. I’ll wager if you have a catastrophic failure on an engine or transmission the dealer is probably going to work hard for ways to avoid paying for warranty damages. Ford, GMC, RAM, and Toyota I would wager are the same. I got invoices for my Tundra maintenance and keep oil, and filter etc receipts. I believe I may use my extended warranty for possible leaking valve towers in the next few years before my 5 years and/or 100,000 miles on the truck. I will get my truck inspected for possible known warranty issues well before my warranty expires.

I have a 21 offer on the table right now. They want 45k on one with 45k miles. They are selling it for roughly 2021 MSRP, which is a tough pill to swallow. Plus another 3-4k for taxes, tag, etc.

Do I pay the extra money or do I pay basically MSRP on a 3 year old truck with 50k miles and a year warranty and throw the 10k I would save toward investments.

WHAT DO I DO?
I’d test drive the new Tundra as well if you’re getting into the $55k range. Like I mentioned earlier, you can get the 125k platinum warranty for about $2k depending on who you buy it from.

How much is the 10 year / 125,000 mile costing you? I'm in the same boat as you looking at new trucks. I'm between a 2024 Tundra or 2024 F150 5.0. Also thought about going with a 20-21 Tundra, but don't really want to buy used for the prices I'm seeing.
If you’re comparing costs the Toyota one is ~$2k depending on who you purchase it from. If you try to get it from the dealer you’re buying the truck from then they’ll probably try to make you pay double that.

WHAT DO I DO?
Feels like I need a commission check from Toyota at this point but you can get an equivalent Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road for that same price (with the ability to obviously haggle that price down)IMG_1915.jpeg

WKR
Owned a 2008 and a 2015 Tundra. Solid trucks, poor mpg, but zero maintenance issues. Bought a F250 with 7.3 gasser in 2022. So far 30,000 trouble free miles and same or slightly better mpg than the Tundras. Really love it so far.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at new vs used is interest rates. Unless its only a year old, the used interest rate is always worse. Make sure when you're factoring in savings that you consider that as well because that dulls it somewhat.

When it comes to extended warranties, a couple things to keep in mind.

I wouldn't touch a third party warranty. The finance guy will try to sell you on it. It covers all this stuff, usable anywhere. What they don't tell you is that most of them are shit. When they do cover something, there's a chance they'll want to use junkyard parts. Don't waste your time or money. If you're buying an extended warranty, make sure it's the one from the manufacturer.

There is an absolute BOATLOAD of markup/margin in extended warranties. Case in point, the dealer I bought my Tacoma from offered me the third party(nope), then came out with the Toyota warranties. The top one 10/125k he wanted almost 5k for. I got a quote from an online dealer for $1795. Same warranty. Same coverage. The guy selling it for $1795 is making money on it still - it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

As an aside, if they're pushing the third party for almost the same price and pushing those out of the gate, that tells me there's even more markup in those.

180ls1

WKR
If reliability is primary, the base engines (v6, small v8) are still very reliable and make respectable power.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Don’t overlook the Nissan Titan. Just as reliable as the Tundra.
I haven’t seen this unfortunately. In my experience the Nissans don’t pass the longevity test. They’re both made in Japan, but that’s about all they have in common unfortunately. The Nissans are cheap for a reason, which can make them attractive in certain situations.

180ls1

WKR
I haven’t seen this unfortunately. In my experience the Nissans don’t pass the longevity test. They’re both made in Japan, but that’s about all they have in common unfortunately. The Nissans are cheap for a reason, which can make them attractive in certain situations.

Indeed. The data confirms this as well.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
If you really want a Toyota right now, you are pretty much going to have to pay near MSRP for it when it was new. Its just the way they are right now. The old models of the Tundra and Tacoma are most likely going to hold their value. The Gen 3 Tundra doesnt seem to be holding the Tundra reliability it was known for and the new Tacoma's are yet to be tested. I think you will have a couple more years of high resale and if they get the issues solved, older models will fall in price. If they dont, older models will maintain high resale.

If you go F150 and its the 3.5, start saving for new turbos the day you drive it home. They are pretty known for going out around 150K. Some do and some dont but the last time I heard its 5-6K to get them done.

I was in your same boat and ended up getting a Tacoma off a family member. I got an ok deal but it was still a punch in the balls.
Replaced the right turbo on my 2014 F150 ecoboost in 2023@ 137,000kms. $3700 Canadian taxes in @ Ford deslership. Recently sold that truck and bought a 2022 F150 5.0.

If you have it serviced at the dealer the records are kept by Toyota. You can see the records on your Toyota app on your phone.

The app for your phone tells you how many miles on the truck, miles to empty on fuel, whether your doors are locked, tailgate down, etc. Even tells the battery condition of your key FOB. Everything is tracked, even your driving habits (which can be turned off thankfully).

The app informs you of your next scheduled service. You can add your own maintenance records also.

Say you are away on a business trip and the wife needs something out of your truck or gets locked out while shopping... I can lock/unlock my Tundra from 3000 miles away via my phone.
I get that...but 55,000 in who REALLY goes to the dealer for service?

My wife does with her Subaru...and anyone that buys it is she upgrades is going to get a meticulously cared for and documented vehicle. But she's the only bougie person I've ever met that has.

Think most dudes roll their own and run boutique synthetics in the driveway after 30K. At least I do.

TSAMP

WKR
I get that...but 55,000 in who REALLY goes to the dealer for service?

My wife does with her Subaru...and anyone that buys it is she upgrades is going to get a meticulously cared for and documented vehicle. But she's the only bougie person I've ever met that has.

Think most dudes roll their own and run boutique synthetics in the driveway after 30K. At least I do.
Me. My 2014 f150 has had every fluid changed at reccomended intervals since new. Im currently just at 180k miles. I estimate the cost around $700per year to do this. I'm talking oil/trans/diff/coolant and transfer case. Keeping up with this maintenance has added protections through the dealership as well. I've never dug into the fine print but by allowing them to do the service it provides a degree of coverage. For example ; on coolant flushes, my water pump failed at 66k miles and was covered by the dealer, even though I was outside my ford warranty. That saved me about 500 bucks (had I paid the dealer to perform the actual replacement)

I've done the brakes, tire rotations, and replaced 1 battery and 1 starter myself.

I should disclose they had a promotion when I bought it of 75 cent oil changes for life. I don't think they expected me keep it this long.

Me. My 2014 f150 has had every fluid changed at reccomended intervals since new. Im currently just at 180k miles. I estimate the cost around $700per year to do this. I'm talking oil/trans/diff/coolant and transfer case. Keeping up with this maintenance has added protections through the dealership as well. I've never dug into the fine print but by allowing them to do the service it provides a degree of coverage. For example ; on coolant flushes, my water pump failed at 66k miles and was covered by the dealer, even though I was outside my ford warranty. That saved me about 500 bucks (had I paid the dealer to perform the actual replacement)

I've done the brakes, tire rotations, and replaced 1 battery and 1 starter myself.

I should disclose they had a promotion when I bought it of 75 cent oil changes for life. I don't think they expected me keep it this long.
So 7k spent and you think you are ahead? My 2014 has only been to the dealer to replace a thermostat and coolant flush. I have 165000 on it and average $220 a year in oil changes done by me. Diffs have royal purple in them, done by me.

You Never win going to the dealer for maintenance unless, your piece of mind, is priceless.

TSAMP

WKR
So 7k spent and you think you are ahead? My 2014 has only been to the dealer to replace a thermostat and coolant flush. I have 165000 on it and average $220 a year in oil changes done by me. Diffs have royal purple in them, done by me.

You Never win going to the dealer for maintenance unless, your piece of mind, is priceless.
Alot would have to go wrong to be financially ahead. I've never had any break downs or issues that ruined trips. I've spent very little time working on my vehicle. Which is ultimately what I am after.

Broomd

WKR
No chance in heck I'd buy a new Tundra right now..after all of the endless fit, finish, mechanical issues of that new TTV6 debut?! Good lord, what a disaster. And I'm the OP that had the "New 2022 Tundra" thread back a couple of years ago. Was so stoked for that new truck.

Best decision I've ever made was cancelling my new TRD Offroad build in '22, that truck, like 80% of other '22's and many '23's, would have been a nightmare.

Buy the '21 Tundra and don't look back!
Loving my 2020 SR5, just at 36,000 miles.
Recently took a couple of days and did a chrome delete on it as well, added some TRD Pro wheels I bought with new tires very reasonably off of FB marketplace. BIlstien shocks, etc.
Looks like it should have from the factory.... before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.JPG
    IMG_7076.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 54
  • WaifkFZ9QbWfCnYZaF6jDw.jpg
    WaifkFZ9QbWfCnYZaF6jDw.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

tt280AI

FNG
I had a Tundra, horrid mileage. Have a '23 F150 with the 3.5 Eco(or)boost. Amazing ride, very quiet and comfortable. Averaging 18mpg, get 20 on the freeway. Disappointing given the rating of 18 city 23 highway, and I baby it.

From what I've read the 3.5 issues have been worked out from previous generations. Price sucks though, stupid expensive.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a Tundra, horrid mileage. Have a '23 F150 with the 3.5 Eco(or)boost. Amazing ride, very quiet and comfortable. Averaging 18mpg, get 20 on the freeway. Disappointing given the rating of 18 city 23 highway, and I baby it.

From what I've read the 3.5 issues have been worked out from previous generations. Price sucks though, stupid expensive.
You’re averaging 3-5 mpg better on the f150? Sounds like the tundra was horrid and the f150 is terrible.