New Truck--Dependability

manitou1

WKR
That's because Toyota doesn't make 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I towed just 5k lbs behind my Tundra one time. I will always use my old F-350 for even light loads from here on out. Big difference between the two.
That was my point. They never have made anything over 1/2 T.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
20 years on a vehicle? Secondary I assume, my daily is going on 11 years old with 218k, and it sat for months for a few years while I had a work rig for parts of the year!
I still drive my 35 year old Toyota 4x4 several times a week around town. It was my only vehicle for years, then sat at my parents while I was overseas for 6 years. I'd drive it cross country today if I needed to. But I also have two other vehicles that are 20+.....the F-350 (that I've had for 16 years now) and a 2000 Maxima that my daughter drives. The Maxima was my parent's since new, I've had it since 2015. My sister still has a '91 4Runner that her daughter drives.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Age of a vehicle is irrelevant. It’s the miles that cause the wear and tear. I’d say my 13 year old f350 with 540000 miles has had a harder life than some 30 year old truck with 200000 miles.

willtim

WKR
I own two Super Duty's. Both purchased new by me. One is a 2000 F250 with a V10. It has 365,000 miles. I had to replace the fuel pump at 280,000 miles. My son drives it daily. My newest is a 2013 F350 with a 6.2L V8. It has 235,000 miles . It had an exhaust stud break around 200,000 miles. Both still running strong.

Billinsd

WKR
Age of a vehicle is irrelevant. It’s the miles that cause the wear and tear. I’d say my 13 year old f350 with 540000 miles has had a harder life than some 30 year old truck with 200000 miles.
Age is much less relevant. It's the miles, the kind of miles, the loads, the maintenance, and the environment it's driven and stored in that are critical.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If anybody in Denver is looking for a tundra, shoot me a PM. I Have a line on a 2021 sr5 with 65,000 miles. 6 1/2 foot bed, newer tires and super clean.

Randyb

FNG
I have messed around with having older, used trucks for too long. Ready to step up to something more modern.

I almost purchased a Tundra back in 21, but was talked into holding off for their newer 22 model. The 22 Tundras dropped and now all I hear are horror stories.

I've read that Chevy and GMC have gone down hill too.

I've been looking at the F150 with the 5.0 V8. I've heard thats their most reliable engine.

Looking for input so I can narrow my search down.

Thanks!
Get a 21 tundra

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
Get a 21 tundra
I have a 21 offer on the table right now. They want 45k on one with 45k miles. They are selling it for roughly 2021 MSRP, which is a tough pill to swallow. Plus another 3-4k for taxes, tag, etc.

If I spend 10k more I can get a new F150 5.0 V8 with a 125k FORD warranty.

It's making for a tough decision.

Do I pay the extra money or do I pay basically MSRP on a 3 year old truck with 50k miles and a year warranty and throw the 10k I would save toward investments.

WHAT DO I DO?

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
I have a 21 offer on the table right now. They want 45k on one with 45k miles. They are selling it for roughly 2021 MSRP, which is a tough pill to swallow. Plus another 3-4k for taxes, tag, etc.

If I spend 10k more I can get a new F150 with a 125k FORD warranty.

Do I pay the extra money or do I pay basically MSRP on a 3 year old truck with 50k miles and a year warranty and throw the 10k I would save toward investments.

WHAT DO I DO?
for that price buy this one

CorbLand

WKR

WHAT DO I DO?
If you really want a Toyota right now, you are pretty much going to have to pay near MSRP for it when it was new. Its just the way they are right now. The old models of the Tundra and Tacoma are most likely going to hold their value. The Gen 3 Tundra doesnt seem to be holding the Tundra reliability it was known for and the new Tacoma's are yet to be tested. I think you will have a couple more years of high resale and if they get the issues solved, older models will fall in price. If they dont, older models will maintain high resale.

If you go F150 and its the 3.5, start saving for new turbos the day you drive it home. They are pretty known for going out around 150K. Some do and some dont but the last time I heard its 5-6K to get them done.

I was in your same boat and ended up getting a Tacoma off a family member. I got an ok deal but it was still a punch in the balls.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR

WHAT DO I DO?
I'd buy the ford.

WRO

WKR
for that price buy this one

WHAT DO I DO?

Is it bumper to bumper or powertrain? Because Ford electronics suck as does their recall service.

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
If you really want a Toyota right now, you are pretty much going to have to pay near MSRP for it when it was new. Its just the way they are right now. The old models of the Tundra and Tacoma are most likely going to hold their value. The Gen 3 Tundra doesnt seem to be holding the Tundra reliability it was known for and the new Tacoma's are yet to be tested. I think you will have a couple more years of high resale and if they get the issues solved, older models will fall in price. If they dont, older models will maintain high resale.

If you go F150 and its the 3.5, start saving for new turbos the day you drive it home. They are pretty known for going out around 150K. Some do and some dont but the last time I heard its 5-6K to get them done.

I was in your same boat and ended up getting a Tacoma off a family member. I got an ok deal but it was still a punch in the balls.
It's the 2024 F150 XLT with the FX4 package. It does have the 5.0 V8 in there. I will purchase the Ford warranty for 10yr 125,000 miles.

Bcleck90

WKR
It's the 2024 F150 XLT with the FX4 package. It does have the 5.0 V8 in there. I will purchase the Ford warranty for 10yr 125,000 miles.

How much is the 10 year / 125,000 mile costing you? I'm in the same boat as you looking at new trucks. I'm between a 2024 Tundra or 2024 F150 5.0. Also thought about going with a 20-21 Tundra, but don't really want to buy used for the prices I'm seeing.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My buddy’s company car is a 2023 f150xlt 5.0. No issues other than he says it feels like a POS. He hates it. His last one was a Silverado which he preferred.

One random thing about the f150 is that it rubs when he makes left and right turns. Apparently the stock tires that came with it hit the inner fender. It’s loud enough that people look over. Not sure how ford did that but it started day 1…

Bought a new 2024 F450 SuperDuty diesel, double cab and 8' box with FX4 suspension.......at almost 64 I will never need another truck - period. It's a beast and still gets far better fuel mileage than my friends 2020 Tundra Pro.
The price tag start with a 9 or a 1 for that truck? Could buy two NEW Tacomas for that price tag. And PA roads and salt will eat the ass out of that truck long before it dies.........

RE: super extended Toyota warranties. I have no personal warranty experience. At 53yo I've only ever purchased ONE new vehicle in my life. I am borderline terrified.

I want to ask how often does "Can we please see the receipts from every Dealer serviced oil change" ever happen when attempting warranty repairs?

Had a buddy that got completely F'd on a Ram truck w a Hemi......he changed the oil. But couldn't prove it since he had no receipts. He ate a brand new engine and install out of pocket.

Do you really expect to be able to use the warranty up to the 100K mileage?