New Ruger American Gen II

Presswood_936

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the video, he has a 7-08 listed as 20" comparing to a gen 1 22" RA.

Go to 6:05 in the video posted above.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah I watched it , there’s no way ruger is putting out rifles with less than 16” barrels .

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
something does not add up . If the barrel is 20" including the brake the guns over all length with same length of pull should be 2" shooter than the gen 1 with a 22" barrel, But its only 3/4" shorter witch would be more inline if the brake was not included.
gen 1 over all lenths 42"
gen 2 overall lenth 41 1/4"

grfox92

WKR
something does not add up . If the barrel is 20" including the brake the guns over all length with same length of pull should be 2" shooter than the gen 1 with a 22" barrel, But its only 3/4" shorter witch would be more inline if the brake was not included.
gen 1 over all lenths 42"
gen 2 overall lenth 41 1/4"
b8e79755df61cf7beea4c74d90b6dbe7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Well the LOP is adjustable down to 12” so that’s not as much of a concern. They compensate for the comb drop with the three heights of cheek piece available. One concern I have is the recoil pad shape. It might be a little too curved to sit well if you want to have the rifle close to center mass instead of in the shoulder pocket. Pretty niche issue all things considered. I think it’s a rather well thought out design with flexibility to accommodate most shooters.
I'm not talking about the lop. The trigger reach is too far, and shortening the lop doesn't fix that. Also, the recoil pad being too low is not fixed by raising the cheek piece. It looks like they were going for a civil war replica musket with a cheek piece thrown on top.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Probably not the case on the ranch rifle as 16 is the minimum. The video is on the 20" though.

He doesn't show us the barrel with a tape on it and the brake spun off, so we're just taking some guy's word for it.
And ya, that'd mean they're measuring barrel length different on the ranch or selling NFA items. Unlikely.

matthewmt

WKR
I dont have any model in hand to check but I can guarantee the 16" ranch is 16" + break length. There is no doubt.

Other models 20", 22" and whatever they're going to offer calibers yet to be released in Q1 of 2024 could very well have the break included in the overall length, atleast that's what was stated in the video and at this point there is likely a few people who have also purchased "non" ranch models who could confirm actual bbl length.

Dsellen14

FNG
Tell us what you think. how's the bolt action compared to the first generation? fit and finish?
For those asking I got my ranch Gen 2 home today. I’ve had 3 of the Ruger ranches first generation and here is what I’m seeing in comparison:

- stock is an upgrade no doubt about that. It’s a little more rigid than the prior generation but probably not going to satisfy some of you that you can still squeeze barrel and some flexing. It does take more grip strength though. The finish is way better than the prior gen and I personally like it a lot.

- bolt handle and knob is better than gen 1. You can get a hold of it and rack it fast but not too large. I always replaced my gen 1’s anyhow but don’t feel like I need to do this.

- bolt smoothness is similar to the gen 1 with the AR mag. So a little rough. Maybe a tad smoother than my current each with AR mag

- barrel indeed 16.1”. Muzzle break extends an inch beyond

- 3 position safety is nice feature. Seems a hair louder but assume that will smooth out over time. Moving it from middle position to fire is quiet. It’s the moving it from bolt lock and safer to the middle is when it clicks a bit

Haven’t shot it but assume it’s going to shoot like all their previous models. They didn’t change the barrel maker nor the bedding system. Hope that helps.

Dsellen14

FNG
Also should just mention that I
For those asking I got my ranch Gen 2 home today. I’ve had 3 of the Ruger ranches first generation and here is what I’m seeing in comparison:

- stock is an upgrade no doubt about that. It’s a little more rigid than the prior generation but probably not going to satisfy some of you that you can still squeeze barrel and some flexing. It does take more grip strength though. The finish is way better than the prior gen and I personally like it a lot.

- bolt handle and knob is better than gen 1. You can get a hold of it and rack it fast but not too large. I always replaced my gen 1’s anyhow but don’t feel like I need to do this.

- bolt smoothness is similar to the gen 1 with the AR mag. So a little rough. Maybe a tad smoother than my current each with AR mag

- 3 position safety is nice feature. Seems a hair louder but assume that will smooth out over time. Moving it from middle position to fire is quiet. It’s the moving it from bolt lock and safer to the middle is when it clicks a bit

Haven’t shot it but assume it’s going to shoot like all their previous models. They didn’t change the barrel maker nor the bedding system. Hope that helps.

Also should mention that I kind of wanted the standard with the 20” barrel but when I shouldered them and such the ranch just felt more balanced than the standard. I still may get standard yet but also running suppressed the shorter barrel is better for me.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Also should just mention that I

Also should mention that I kind of wanted the standard with the 20” barrel but when I shouldered them and such the ranch just felt more balanced than the standard. I still may get standard yet but also running suppressed the shorter barrel is better for me.
I got the call from my FFL that mine is sitting at the shop. I’ve got some 77 grain TMK inbound as well to get some idea of how it shoots. It’s going to stay dedicated suppressed so I appreciate the length.

If it’s like my gen 1s, it’s accuracy is going to be great. I’ll be interested how the non-pmag versions feel when feeding, though I’m holding out for the 7PRC. I have never taken note of the bolt sound/feel when shooting/reloading in the field. More just when I’m dry firing.

I’m going to throw a pic rail up front for bipod and tripod use - still undecided if I through a pic rail closer to the action or keep it slick.

Wanker

FNG
If you folks that have purchased a new rifle already don’t mind me asking, what did you end up paying? I’m curious what the street price actually is versus the msrp

I also have the ranch. I love it. I have shot 1 box of cheap ammo, though it and at 70 yards, which is all I have to shoot in my backyard. It was shooting at an inch, probably a little under. If I had a better rest, it definitely would shoot better than that. My bolt already seems a little more smooth, and my mag fed 100 percent of the time. You will definitely enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Just to confirm, this is a new action right? So it won't fit currently available stocks for the American?
I don't think that's the case. If it is it would be the biggest manufacturing blunder of all time. There is zero improvement in accuracy with aftermarket stocks on the RA, which means that v block bedding system is essentially a flawless design.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk