New Mountain Rifle

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a new lightweight mountain rifle and am trying to decide between the following:

1. Kimber Montana - 280 AI
2. Kimber Mt. Ascent - 280 AI
3. Christensen Arms Ridgeline - 7mm Rem Mag

I will use it mostly for mule deer and elk, unless I ever draw a sheep or goat tag, for week long to day trip backpack hunts mostly in Wyoming.

Which would you choose and why?

elkguide

WKR
I own 3 Kimber Montanas..... .300 WSM - .270 WSM - 7MM08.

While the amount of energy delivered is substantially different so is the recoil. I have shot animals with each of them. They each do their job well. Each is remarkably accurate. Having hunted Mule Deer and Elk for many years and if that was what I was buying a light weight mountain rifle for, I would definitely get another Kimber Montana in .300 WSM.

As to your question of why...... the Montana is light, points well, is very accurate.

The .280 AI is a great cartridge but availability of ammo and the fact that Elk and big Mule Deer can absorb a lot of energy and still run off so I would opt for more energy of the .300.

I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for a new ultra lightweight mountain rifle, although I don't really need one. I guess I'm just looking to spend some money. I have had really good luck with Kimber Montana's and after a fair amount of research, I think what I decide to do is more than likely pick up another Montana and just have some work done to get it lighter. Like lightening the action, changing the bolt handle out to a titanium, changing the trigger guard out to aluminum, cutting a few inches off the barrel, etc. I think that I can get pretty much all this work done here locally, for cheaper than purchasing a mountain ascent. I really don't care much for the mountain ascent camo stock pattern either. I'm also leaning heavily towards the .280 AI. I like the Christensen arms rifles but they are super expensive and I really like the model 70/Mauser action, & safety.

i'm actually on my way into town right now to drop my .300 WSM Montana off at a smith to have some lightening work done to it, but I'm still in the market for another one.

handwerk

WKR
Although I'm a model 70 guy, I've been around montanas quite a bit and of your 3 choices I'd go with the montana in 280 AI. I'm not sure the ascent is worth the extra dough? and the 280 AI is a wonderful caliber. My pre 64 M70 /280 AI/mcm edge rifle sees a bunch of use each year especially when it's a combo hunt for elk/mule deer.
150 TTSX's @3050 do good work.

We took my buddies Weatherby ultralight in 300 wby out to 1080 yesterday, seriously impressive! They come in 7 rm and are a good option between the Montana and ridgeline.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Kimber Montana - 280 AI - MSRP $1,427 - 5lbs 10oz or 90ozs (Magnum version is 6lbs 13ozs or 109ozs)
2. Kimber Mt. Ascent - 280 AI - MSRP $2,040 - 5lbs 5ozs or 80ozs (6lbs 8ozs for 300WM, or 104ozs)
3. Christensen Arms Ridgeline - 7mm Rem Mag - MSRP $2,149 7lbs or 112ozs
4. Weatherby ultralight in 300 wby - MSRP $2,400 Weighs 6 3/4lbs or 108ozs
5. Cooper Model 92 Backcountry 280/280 AI or 300 WM (same specs) - MSRP TBD $3ish I think - 5.75lbs or 92ozs
*Just pulled the specs off what I could find. Might be off slightly here or there.
As I view light rifles I seek the lightest first. Then I start to counter that with reputation, consistency, quality, and price.

Caliber is a big factor in determining weight, and different folks want different things out of their light weight rifle. I've been eyeing 300 WM for a long time due to its extra reach, and the fact I like a .30 caliber in bear country (Alaska Mountain Country).

Pretty excited to see how the new Cooper Model 92 shakes out, it seems tailor made to my specs.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FYI if the mountain ascent 84L 280AI is on your radar they are instock at sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore for $1689 shipped (not sure if there is better pricing elsewhere, just recalled seeing them on there). I have ordered a pistol from that place before and no complaints on the deal.

Other than that no experience with the above rifles but I do enjoy my 280AI. Are you a reloader? If not I'd likely look more at 7mag of the mentioned 300wsm. If reloading who cares really, you just blow out some 280rem cases or pony up for nosler brass.

^ prices above aren't super accurate I don't think. Some are msrp and some are retail. I think it goes montana 1,400 , Montana ascent and weatherby ultralight about even around 1,700 and ridgeline at around 2,100. I have experience with the Kimberling montanas and know that many here like them but I have heard of feeding issues, poor accuracy from some and more a few dissapointments with overall fit and finish. If I was looking at a factory lightweight rifle it would be tikka, weatherby and christensen arms ascending price point wise.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ prices above aren't super accurate I don't think. Some are msrp and some are retail. I think it goes montana 1,400 , Montana ascent and weatherby ultralight about even around 1,700 and ridgeline at around 2,100. I have experience with the Kimberling montanas and know that many here like them but I have heard of feeding issues, poor accuracy from some and more a few dissapointments with overall fit and finish. If I was looking at a factory lightweight rifle it would be tikka, weatherby and christensen arms ascending price point wise.

I was working off my phone and trying to pull MSRP off the websites. Apologize for the errors. The only one I found via a different website than the manufacturer, was the CA Ridgeline, for some reason CA's site was not working on my phone today. I utilized Cabela's listing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Montana in 30-06 for $1200 anywhere on gunbroker. Easily make it a 5 pound 8 oz rifle and still shoot 180s at 2900 FPs. 4+1 vs 3+1. Yeah you are given up about 7% velocity over the 300 Wm but the 300 Wm will also weigh 25% more. Can buy and scope two of them for the cost of a NULA and the ilk.

Last edited:
I just priced some Kimbers at a local mom-and-pop gun shop and they wanted roughly $1100 and change for the Montana's and $1700 and change for the mountain ascents .280AI I think like with everything, a little shopping around can probably pay dividends with better deals.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180

The Montana Rifle Company Extreme X2 would sure be sweet in a .280 AI. They are very well made her in Montana. My Winchester Model 70 I had turned into a custom 280 AI is not a lightweight really, but I sure like it. They run about $1200.00 I believe. Might check the Montana Rifle Company product out. The Winchester Extreme Weather SS would also be a good one but they don't chamber the .280 AI.

As far as knocking an elk down I took my elk, a big cow, at 450 yards with one shot this year. Best of luck.

Montana for $1200 anywhere on gunbroker. Easily make it a 5 pound 8 oz rifle and still shoot 180s at 2900 FPs. 4+1 vs 3+1. Yeah you are given up about 7% velocity over the 300 Wm but the 300 Wm will also weigh 25% more. Can buy and scope two of them for the cost of a NULA and the ilk.

You are getting 2900 fps with 180 gr bullets in a cut down 308? I can't even get that in a 24" 300 wsm

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope sorry I didn't say caliber. 30-06. You should be smoking easily over 3000 in a WSM. Need to change powders if wanting more speed. But if you are getting good accuracy at 30-06 velocity then rock in and enjoy one less in the mag and a heavier action ;)

GKPrice

Banned
1. Kimber Montana - 280 AI - MSRP $1,427 - 5lbs 10oz or 90ozs (Magnum version is 6lbs 13ozs or 109ozs)
2. Kimber Mt. Ascent - 280 AI - MSRP $2,040 - 5lbs 5ozs or 80ozs (6lbs 8ozs for 300WM, or 104ozs)
3. Christensen Arms Ridgeline - 7mm Rem Mag - MSRP $2,149 7lbs or 112ozs
4. Weatherby ultralight in 300 wby - MSRP $2,400 Weighs 6 3/4lbs or 108ozs
5. Cooper Model 92 Backcountry 280/280 AI or 300 WM (same specs) - MSRP TBD $3ish I think - 5.75lbs or 92ozs
*Just pulled the specs off what I could find. Might be off slightly here or there.
As I view light rifles I seek the lightest first. Then I start to counter that with reputation, consistency, quality, and price.

Caliber is a big factor in determining weight, and different folks want different things out of their light weight rifle. I've been eyeing 300 WM for a long time due to its extra reach, and the fact I like a .30 caliber in bear country (Alaska Mountain Country).

Pretty excited to see how the new Cooper Model 92 shakes out, it seems tailor made to my specs.

Kimber Montana 84L can be had on gunbroker for $1150 any day of the week

Hmmm.. my tikka is definitely underprforming according to my magneto speed it's only getting 2871 fps with 150 gr bullets over 70gr of rl 19. However my buddies 300 wby with 24" barrel running 180 over 81.5 gr of H4831 sc is still only getting 3081 fps so a 22" 30-06 running over 2900 seems high? Either way my tikka is suddenly very unimpressive.... thanks luke now I'm gun shopping again

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Haha if it's shooting good who cares man. But yeah my buddy Stid got me started with loading for the 30-06. I don't even own one personally just reload for a couple.

dotman

WKR
I saw a Kimber Montana 325wsm the other day for $999 at a mom & pop shop, no I will not say where :)

Muttly

WKR
Dunno...Got my first Montana this fall, not enough experience with em to be an authority.. Light in the hand, cycles nicely and feeds just fine, pleasure to shoot, I,m probably not a good enough shot to tell the difference anyway. Southeast Alaska, pretty thick, lots, and lots, and lots of rain, and the hills are,nt getting any less steep as I get older. So I kinda like the stainless, and light rifle. First few shots with it, started feeling pretty treacherous, thinking it might not be a bad idea to sell off the heavy rifles, get a couple more Montana,s.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kimber Montana 84L can be had on gunbroker for $1150 any day of the week

Understood. I was just posting MSRP as it's about the only way to have a level comparison. We Roksliders know to never pay MSRP. ;)