WKR
  • Weatherby Mark V Backcountry 2.0 TI $3600
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline $2100
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT $2400
  • Nosler Model 48 Mountain carbon $3700
  • Kimber Mountain Ascent Skyfall $2800
  • Fierce Carbon Rouge $2200

Internet prices next to them. 280AI
Any input/comments good or bad are welcome and appreciated. A good friend is wanting a do it all North American big game (minus brown bear) rifle. I'll be the one hand loading it for him.
His short list is above. I have my own thoughts but would love to hear others.
Thanks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d get the weatherby off that list. I’m a big Kimber fan but havnt seen one of the new ones yet. I have handled a weatherby back country and it’s a nice gun.

83cj-7

WKR
I have handled or shot every rifle on that list. I’d go with the Weatherby or a Kimber Montana. I prefer the Montana over the Ascent series because the bolt is smoother being unfluted and I prefer the CF stock.

-Nosler is pretty much an overpriced Howa in a good stock.
-Christensen rifles are so hard to cock (bolt lift) that it usually cannot be done from the shoulder or while prone. My gunsmith has worked on a bunch of these to try and fix the issue but he doesn’t like them.
-Fierce has screwed two people I know personally on rifles that would not shoot and they took almost a year before there was a final resolution.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I’d stay away from the Christensen rifles. I have a Ridgeline in 28 nosler and it’s been a pain. They run a tight chamber when I had my bullets loaded the guy had to load that bullets 150 thousands deeper. Probably wouldn’t be as big of a deal since you are loading. For me when I tried factory ammo I had to use a lot of force to open the bolt after every shot.

rbaney

FNG
Well I maybe the odd ball out here but, I purchased my 280AI in the Browning X bolt Speed Ovix for 1400 and topped it off with a Trijicon Tenmile from EuroOptic 3-18X50mm Scope sitting on a Leupold rail held on with either Leupold rings or Seekins. I am shooting the 162 gr ELD-X factory ammo for now. I am very happy so far I did get the lighter trigger spring from M-Carbo as I prefer a 2.5-2 pound trigger. Just me 2 cents on the subject. I also would stay away from Christensen Rifles they just seem problematic.

bsween8

FNG
Out of that list I have only ever personally shot the Christensen Ridgeline in 300 win mag. I know 3 other guys that have the same gun. All 4 of the guns shoot sub MOA groups with factory ammo and do not have a heavy bolt lift. I am not saying its the best option on that list or not, since I haven't shot the others, but I wanted to share my experience with the Christensen.

My recommendation on that list would be the Weatherby, seen too many issues with the Christensen rifles in the last 2-3 years. I don’t have any experience with the fierce rifles.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Once you’re over that $3k mark it’s hard not to consider a basic R700 footprint custom action and prefit barrel….especially when most of your rifles have basic sporter sticks from the start.

I’d be looking at one of the UM Tikka builds in that $3k range, and like other have said I’d drop CA and Fierce right off that list. I do love a Kimber but haven’t handled one since they moved out of Yonkers.

jimh406

WKR
Maybe my comment isn't worth a lot to you since I don't have experience with those particular rifles, but it seems like all are pretty expensive for what you are getting. Note: if he's planning on selling in the future or is in love with some of the features, maybe it makes sense. Many guns now have accuracy warranties including those half or 1/3 the price.

Maybe he's not willing to include any other guns. I wonder if the approach was to choose the cartridge which limits the possible options. If the approach was the opposite, the list could be much longer. I'd personally spend more money on the optics and less on the rifle, but maybe money isn't an issue. Also, I'd consider a folding stock like a MDT HNT26.

From what I've heard/read, the thinner barrels like the Mountain Ascent don't allow much practice time without a lot of time to cool off in between. That may or may not be an issue.

One thought about the caliber choice, I understand the reloading, but what happens if the ammo is left home or otherwise lost? A more popular cartridge with similar performance might be a better choice. A 7mm Remington Magnum has similar performance even though it uses a bit more powder, for example.

Have fun shopping.

I’d be looking at a Seekins or custom Tikka/700 for just a little bit more so you can build the rifle you want instead of settling for a factory option.
Beat me to it. For that money a PH2 or Element should be at least considered on that list. Great rifles and if you do have an issue they will take care of you. I looked at all of Kimbers, Noslers, FIerce stuff a few years ago and they don't hold a candle fit and finish wise IMO

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
From your list my top 3 would be Mark V, Kimber MA then Christensen FFT in that order. 280AI is a great choice for an all around, do it all cartridge.

Once you’re over that $3k mark it’s hard not to consider a basic R700 footprint custom action and prefit barrel….especially when most of your rifles have basic sporter sticks from the start.

I’d be looking at one of the UM Tikka builds in that $3k range, and like other have said I’d drop CA and Fierce right off that list. I do love a Kimber but haven’t handled one since they moved out of Yonkers.

Great point. I'd get a UM tikka in a rokstok miles before any of those.