Rifle suggestion

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I hear a lot of mixed reviews on christensen arms though i still consider it but the amount of complaints does worry me . Of all the rifles I shouldered the tikka, christensen, and winchester fit me the best. The responsible side of me says go Tikka for future possibilities I've been heavily eyeing the roughtech, alpine/veil, and the superlite

Firestone

WKR
I've loaded for that exact tikka and it was a hammer, 156 bergers right at 2850. I also did a 280ai with 168 vlds around 2900. Can't go wrong with either, maybe just buy one of each

Last edited:
OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I've loaded for that exact tikka and it was a hammer, 156 bergers right at 2850. I also did a 280ai with 168 vlds around 2900. Can't go wrong with either, maybe just by one of each
How easy would it be to convert a tikka to a 280AI in the future?

Changing calibers on a Tikka is pretty easy, and easier if you start with something that is the same bolt face, bolt stop, and magazine. 6.5 prc shares at most the bolt stop with the 280 ai, 6.5 creed would be an easier swap since at least the bolt face is the right diameter.

The prc adds a couple hundred yards to the creed effective range, but if you aren't shooting hundreds of rounds per year that capability won't really show up in the field, so i would recommend the tikka in 6.5 creed, one of the standard rokslide specials.

the christensen is the way to go. We have over a dozen and all are shooters. I have a BA tactical in 6.5 PRC and a Ridgeline FFT in 280 AI. You are splitting hairs there.

nobody

WKR
Changing calibers on a Tikka is pretty easy, and easier if you start with something that is the same bolt face, bolt stop, and magazine. 6.5 prc shares at most the bolt stop with the 280 ai, 6.5 creed would be an easier swap since at least the bolt face is the right diameter.

The prc adds a couple hundred yards to the creed effective range, but if you aren't shooting hundreds of rounds per year that capability won't really show up in the field, so i would recommend the tikka in 6.5 creed, one of the standard rokslide specials.
Add a 6x SWFA, some sports match rings, maybe a KRG bravo, and you’ve got the makings of a Rokslide fairy tale. He’ll live happily ever after

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I would say Tika and a higher end scope. Spend more on your scope than the rifle. It's worth the investment. Then you can change stocks down the road when your fired up for something new.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not hard on the 6.5 PRC I'd take a 6.5 CM, 7-08, or 270 win

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
The answer was right here the whole time!

***can’t vouch for seller or rifle, just saw it while browsing classifieds just now***

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
The responsible side of me says go Tikka in 7-08, 6.5cm, or 270win

Taudisio

WKR
Nothing I can say that hasn’t been said. I will never own another Christensen. If one was gifted to me I’d figure out how to sell it without even opening the box.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
From your list, I’d go with the tikka but I’d try to just get a regular lite or superlite instead of one of those fancy ones.

The Winchester m70 EWSS is a very nice rifle too, I have one in 30-06 and I’m always on the lookout for one in 300wm.

Beer_Me

FNG
I have 3 Tikkas in 22-250, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, and a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 WSM.

All shoots lights out and none has given me any issues. Love the Ridgeline the most, but tend to take the Tikkas out more due to the ammo availability.

OP - Of the choices and my limited experience, I would take the Tikka in 6.5 PRC... especially if you don't reload. I tend to find 6.5 PRC ammo more available on the shelves than 280 AI.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone I think i'll go with the consensus opinions and get a superlite or lite in 6.5 CM or 6.5PRC the prc is if i want to go 7saum as i have 145 pieces of brass on hand

Taudisio

WKR
Don’t count out the 270 vs the prc. 145 vs 143 going the same velocity and you can swap it for the 280ai down the road if you are so inclined (I have all 3 calibers and prefer my prc). I concur with selling the brass. Don’t let it hold you back from doing what you truly want.

H

HappyHuntr

Ok Roksliders. I know I have several posts about custom suggestions and cartridges but going the custom route seems like too long of a project and too many things came up financially for this to work at the moment. In the mean time looking at production rifle as I'm trying to hit the woods next season and maybe in the future I'll work toward a custom. Listed below is what I'm looking at so any suggestions would be appreciated. Really leaning to a 280 AI with the 6.5 PRC second.

Tikka T3x Veil/Alpine 6.5 PRC
Winchester 70 EW/SS 6.5 PRC
Weatherby Mark V Hunter 280 AI
Kimber Hunter 280 AI
Christensen Arms Ridgeline 280 AI or 270 WSM
7SAUM used depending on manufacturer and price
What are you hunting also what distance? Weight matters