New Rifle / Looking to Hear the RS Comments on this Short List

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Once you’re over that $3k mark it’s hard not to consider a basic R700 footprint custom action and prefit barrel….especially when most of your rifles have basic sporter sticks from the start.

I’d be looking at one of the UM Tikka builds in that $3k range, and like other have said I’d drop CA and Fierce right off that list. I do love a Kimber but haven’t handled one since they moved out of Yonkers.
MT, have you handled a UM build? I am looking at them

For the cost of the Weatherby, I’d consider a custom instead. And as someone who owns a Pierce Titanium action, I would go steel instead. You’re only saving a few oz there and they are not as smooth as steel; even fully DLC coated.

If it’s a cartridge you won’t shoot high volume I’d look at a custom builder that will do load development as well, like Unknown Munitions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MT_Wyatt

WKR
MT, have you handled a UM build? I am looking at them
Negative unfortunately, a friend here has an ACE barrel that’s a hammer put on one of his rifles by UM, so they have that going for them.

I do have a McMillan GW2.0 like they use on my custom rifle……I have small hands so the grip/trigger engagement are a bit tough for me, will be looking to replace that next year I think.

• Weatherby Mark V Backcountry 2.0 TI $3600
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline $2100
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT $2400
  • Nosler Model 48 Mountain carbon $3700
  • Kimber Mountain Ascent Skyfall $2800
  • Fierce Carbon Rouge $2200

Internet prices next to them. 280AI
Any input/comments good or bad are welcome and appreciated. A good friend is wanting a do it all North American big game (minus brown bear) rifle. I'll be the one hand loading it for him.
His short list is above. I have my own thoughts but would love to hear others.
Thanks
Does your buddy know about the UM tikka builds?

From that list only, I’d get the kimber but my money has a different looking list

letrbuck

WKR
I have a gen 1 Backcountry in 280ai. Like others have said, you aren't gaining much for the price hike going with the titanium version. The gen 2 stocks are much better as well. It has shot everything I've put through it quite well.

I wouldn't hesitate to even shoot a brown bear with it, had no problem taking down a bison last season with mine.

Kimbers are also nice, and wouldnt balk at the mountain ascent at all.

I've heard too many horror stories on Fierce and Christensen, followed by terrible customer service.

Weatherby customer service is also top notch in my experience. I recently had them thread my wife's Vanguard, they estimated 6-8 weeks and it was back in 2, charge was 100$

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Christensen Ranger 22. It was ok. Shot well, but mags had to be pride out with a knife in damp weather, the stock flexed around the action, and the bolt was rough. I was not impressed and will not be getting another Christensen.

I've had a Kimber, rifle was ok, but customer service sucked and there is minimal after market support.

I have no personal experience with the other brands listed.

I’ve had 5 Christensens. All shot 1/2 MOA or better. If your friend is going to use a suppressor, get the FFT Ridgeline. If not, standard Ridgeline.

Lots of folks on here with no first hand experience, parroting what they heard from the few vocal people who had problems. I’d take their comments with a bite of salt.

I’ve had 5 Christensens. All shot 1/2 MOA or better. If your friend is going to use a suppressor, get the FFT Ridgeline. If not, standard Ridgeline.

Lots of folks on here with no first hand experience, parroting what they heard from the few vocal people who had problems. I’d take their comments with a bite of salt.

I’ve owned 3 CA’s and they all had problems. You couldn’t give me another one. Junk.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve had the Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 280 AI. Had to take it to my gunsmith to be properly bedded as the factory “bedding” was merely a dollop in recoil lug area. Shot better afterwards but I moved it along in favor of smaller cartridge.

I also had a Kimber MA in 280 AI before that. It needed work to unbind the mag sleeve and proper bedding. This was a common issue a few years back. Don’t know about now.

There are threads on CA and Fierce. Approach with caution. I would only get a Fierce 3 lug (Sako clone) and not the 2 lug (R700 clone).

Apart from the list, I’d have UM do a custom Tikka for $3000

I’ve owned 3 CA’s and they all had problems. You couldn’t give me another one. Junk.
Hey, we’re still a little bit above 50% customer satisfaction 😏

I have horrible luck gambling, so I’m out on the CA, there is one savage in the household, so I’m not going to push my luck, already playing with fire