Rifle suggestion

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Roksliders. I know I have several posts about custom suggestions and cartridges but going the custom route seems like too long of a project and too many things came up financially for this to work at the moment. In the mean time looking at production rifle as I'm trying to hit the woods next season and maybe in the future I'll work toward a custom. Listed below is what I'm looking at so any suggestions would be appreciated. Really leaning to a 280 AI with the 6.5 PRC second.

Tikka T3x Veil/Alpine 6.5 PRC
Winchester 70 EW/SS 6.5 PRC
Weatherby Mark V Hunter 280 AI
Kimber Hunter 280 AI
Christensen Arms Ridgeline 280 AI or 270 WSM
7SAUM used depending on manufacturer and price

Last edited:

rdb83

FNG
Out of that list the only one that I wouldn't buy would be the Christensen I have had 2 one would not group even after the 3rd barrel the other the action would lock up after shots. I love all of my Winchesters and my Weatherbys. The Tikkas I have shot have ben nice.

None of those rifles feels anything alike. I've handled, shouldered, and pulled the trigger on them all. If you do, one should feel the most natural/best fit for you.

I've had 4 Christensens (3 Ridgelines and 1 Mesa), and all 4 shot sub-1/2 MOA for me, but I do load my own.

It sounds like you should be looking for a run of the mill good rifle in a very common round that you can afford to shoot.

I’d suggest a Tikka, Howa, Browning, ect.. in something common like 270win, 7mm-08, 6.6 creedmoor, 30-06, ect…

Buying something like a 280, 270wsm, or SAUM isn’t going to do you any favors.

mt100gr.

WKR
Of those chamberings, I would suggest the 6.5 PRC. Find ammo that your rifle shoots well in the 140+ grain dept and buy a bunch. Don't look back.

Then, instead of a custom down the road, buy a .223 and a bunch more ammo for both of them.

Gradually, you realize that the .223 will do almost everything you want.

Tikka, since you asked.😁

SPEDRAY

FNG
In that price range i wouldn't rule out a Browning in some sort of hells canyon flavor

JD Jones

WKR
Go with a 6.5 … unless you can start reloading with the savings from not going full custom. 280ai is in my opinion a reloaders cartridge

Edit: to answer your question a little more…I like my ridgeline a bunch. Shoots amazingly and is light weight. My buddy has 2 as well in 28 nos. Shooters. All 3

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
None of those rifles feels anything alike. I've handled, shouldered, and pulled the trigger on them all. If you do, one should feel the most natural/best fit for you.

I've had 4 Christensens (3 Ridgelines and 1 Mesa), and all 4 shot sub-1/2 MOA for me, but I do load my own.
I've managed to hold them all minus kimber and honestly the tikka and mod 70 were best fit

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Lwarner03

FNG
I agree with several others. 1) Tikka would be my choice, hands down. 2) I would not choose a Christiansen. 3) get the 6.5, I love the SAUM but you would need to plan to load for it and I’d recommend sourcing brass before buying a rifle if you go that route. Tikka in 6.5 will be pretty straightforward.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
The easy button is the Tikka. Ammunition is usually easy to obtain for the 6.5. Everybody has a 6.5 though…

I would go with the Weatherby 280 AI if it fits you well. You don’t have to reload to shoot the 280 AI. My Mountain Ascent really likes Choice Ammunition 162gr ELDx, and it is easy enough to order to maintain your supply.179E312C-181B-40EC-AEA0-66B3A2F614E6.jpegFF55CCC8-7CD7-476A-A8E0-49793EF94DFF.jpeg

MHWASH

WKR
It sounds like you should be looking for a run of the mill good rifle in a very common round that you can afford to shoot.

I’d suggest a Tikka, Howa, Browning, ect.. in something common like 270win, 7mm-08, 6.6 creedmoor, 30-06, ect…

Buying something like a 280, 270wsm, or SAUM isn’t going to do you any favors.
I haven't followed your other posts, but if this is your first rifle, follow this suggestion.

nobody

WKR
Choice 1 - Tikka
Choice 2 - Tikka
Choice 3 - Tikka

The tikka will make a great build platform one day when you’re ready for the custom, much better than anything else you listed. And in stock form it’s a much better rifle, mechanically, in the meantime.

But dump the 280 AI and 6.5 PRC. Both great rounds ballistically, but low on the availability scale relative to other cartridges. Based on what you’re looking for, you need good factory availability. Pick up either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 270 Winchester in the tikka, put a mechanically solid and reliable scope on it, and go fill some tags.

Spoonbill

WKR
I've managed to hold them all minus kimber and honestly the tikka and mod 70 were best fit

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Both the model 70 and the tikka are a great choice. I own both and both are accurate. The model 70 has a 3 position safety, controlled round feed, and you can load from the top. Tikkas are more modular and you can go between a short or long action just be changing the bolt stop.
There are plenty of people who build custom rifles off of model 70s. If you are set on a custom 280 ackley, then buy whatever rifle you like best in a .473 bolt face and go from there.

I own the Tikka in 7RM and the Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. The Tikka was my go to until I bought the Ridgeline. Now I would be comfortable and confident with either one. They both are sub MOA rifles with factory ammunition. The Ridgeline is just sexier!

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
In that price range i wouldn't rule out a Browning in some sort of hells canyon flavor
My .02 as well. Own a tikka T3x SS .308 and x bolt hells canyon 6.5 PRC. Granted they’re different cartridges, but I like the x bolt more. My tikka shoots well, but my x bolt has been 1/2” @100y with all 3 factory loads I tried (again, could be the cartridge more than the rifle, but he’s asking about a 6.5 PRC). I’ve tried 13 different factory loads with my tikka, and about half were under an inch, 2 were under 1/2”. Absolutely love the x bolt HC in 6.5 PRC

EDIT: PRC ammo is getting easier and easier to find although there still aren’t many factory loads for it. All over gunbroker for $2 a shot or less.