NEW Kifaru Frame & Suspension Review

Pretty tough to carry all of your gear and 30-40 pounds of meat without a pack.

Maybe I'm just anti-procrastination, but if you have a hunt planned in August or September and you don't own a single pack, why would you wait until July to order one? Mr Murphy likes to kick me in the balls. If I were to order something on a short timeline, that would ensure a delay.

And if your ordered pack was delayed, why wouldn't you borrow a pack or buy a sacrificial crap pack? I've spent a lot of time with gear that isn't worth packing out. I'd rather ratchet strap my pig of an old tent to a Dora the Explorer book bag than blow off a trip.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Aron you kick butt at your job. If I were you I wouldn't even be turning my phone on when up hunting. These customers should be damn Happy just with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slyck68

FNG
Maybe I'm just anti-procrastination, but if you have a hunt planned in August or September and you don't own a single pack, why would you wait until July to order one? Mr Murphy likes to kick me in the balls. If I were to order something on a short timeline, that would ensure a delay.

And if your ordered pack was delayed, why wouldn't you borrow a pack or buy a sacrificial crap pack? I've spent a lot of time with gear that isn't worth packing out. I'd rather ratchet strap my pig of an old tent to a Dora the Explorer book bag than blow off a trip.

Easy boys. Re-read my posts. I said the shipping date "missed" my hunt, not messed it up. I still went and had a great time...aside from the smoke that is. My second post clarified that and also explained that I borrowed a KUIU from a buddy plus I still have my old Eberlestock. Not blaming, badmouthing, or whining about Kifaru in the slightest. The only reason I chimed in at all was because everyone was referring to an estimated shipping email date being included on their confirmation email and mine did not have it and I was worried my order didn't process properly through PayPal.

Aron, thanks for keeping everyone up to speed. I am proud to buy from an innovative company that puts the needs of our service men and women first and definitely do not mind waiting. In fact, since my next big trip isn't until October, I would be fine with Kifaru shipping my pack to someone with an upcoming September hunt. PM me if you would like to take me up on that and I'll give my order #.

Where's Bruce, you are right about worse problems than late shipping. I sincerely hope you heal up quick. Happy hunting everyone.

Shrek

WKR
I'm hoping they're caught up by the end of the week. I hate that anyone has to wait past the expected ship date but I think those that have will be very happy with the new frame. I was wondering how they were going to improve the Duplex but they have managed to do it. Lighter , easier to adjust , and more comfortable. For anyone thinking about ordering one I'd tell you to get in line because tradionally the wait gets longer as hunting season is upon us and every year there are guys who waited until the last minute to order and are left without a pack when the clock runs out. For the guys who ordered when it went live it has been frustrating with the delays. I ordered mine on the phone and don't even know what day it was and I didn't need the pack until October and I have mine already and it makes me feel a little bad for the guys with their backs against an opener wall. Murphys law at work :(. I still have my gen 2 duplex so I was covered either way. It's not just that I'm a Kifaru fan and hate to see them take a black eye missing early order ship dates but as a fellow hunter I feel the pain of having a hunting trip go off the rails in any way. Not having my sweet new pack there to add its sweetness to my hunt would sting.

7mag.

WKR
Easy boys. Re-read my posts. I said the shipping date "missed" my hunt, not messed it up. I still went and had a great time...aside from the smoke that is. My second post clarified that and also explained that I borrowed a KUIU from a buddy plus I still have my old Eberlestock. Not blaming, badmouthing, or whining about Kifaru in the slightest. The only reason I chimed in at all was because everyone was referring to an estimated shipping email date being included on their confirmation email and mine did not have it and I was worried my order didn't process properly through PayPal.

Aron, thanks for keeping everyone up to speed. I am proud to buy from an innovative company that puts the needs of our service men and women first and definitely do not mind waiting. In fact, since my next big trip isn't until October, I would be fine with Kifaru shipping my pack to someone with an upcoming September hunt. PM me if you would like to take me up on that and I'll give my order #.

Where's Bruce, you are right about worse problems than late shipping. I sincerely hope you heal up quick. Happy hunting everyone.

Very cool.

trk3263

WKR
Anyone have feedback on the UL stays vs Hunting stays. Mine is coming with both and I need to decide what to carry for my trip.

I've hunted from the Klammath River (near the OR border) south to Redding...dodging deer on the roads but have not ever seen anything that I'd call a monster. Not like a whitetail or anything. Those blackies are pretty small once ya debone em. What's your average yeild?

dotman

WKR
Pretty tough to carry all of your gear and 30-40 pounds of meat without a pack.

Well that's why you never sell anything until you have a replacement otherwise you run the risk from your decision of not having what you need.

I don't risk my hunting especially when coming down to the wire on companies est or expected ship dates (look at any Kifaru invoice it says expected not guranteed ship date). If you had a hunt around your expected ship date probably would of been a good idea to have a setup ready and tested well in advance or even wait to upgrade gear.

If you needed to sell to fund the newest released gear right before season your putting your season at risk. It is all a personal choice imo and if your choice happens to make you not have the needed gear you should only be upset with or blame yourself.

If you don't want to wait there are tons of options that are available immediately.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
uploadfromtaptalk1440960054437.jpg

My hunting partner and I are the same build and he's using the hunting frame and I'm using the UL. We swapped frames back and forth on the pack out yesterday (He had 120 I had 115).

I felt no difference in comfort, but he felt a decrease of roughly 15% with the UL.

We're back at it now and trying for another. We plan on doing the same thing throughout the season, but he also helped with the original testing, so I doubt he'll change his thoughts.

trk3263

WKR
What's your max carrying ability from the furthest you plan on going back?

I prob would keep it at 100lbs or less and will be around about 5 miles in. From what Aron says he was liking the UL even with his beast of a bear pack out. Obviously I am no Aron Snyder but for comfort I am thinking the UL will work for me. I will have the Hunter stays in my jeep so I could switch out if needed.
I am moving from a bikini frame that I felt was very comfortable and had no problems with what so ever.

trk3263

WKR
View attachment 28358

My hunting partner and I are the same build and he's using the hunting frame and I'm using the UL. We swapped frames back and forth on the pack out yesterday (He had 120 I had 115).

I felt no difference in comfort, but he felt a decrease of roughly 15% with the UL.

We're back at it now and trying for another. We plan on doing the same thing throughout the season, but he also helped with the original testing, so I doubt he'll change his thoughts.

Can't beat that for CS and an answer. Thanks it looks like we replied at the same time. I will most likely being running the UL with the hunters in the jeep in case I want to switch them out or to compare on different pack outs.
Either way I know I will have the most comfortable pack out when my new frame arrives. Hunting with someone who has a EXO pack and two Kuiu pack owners. I call them the Walmart packs.

Off topic but Gobbler will be doing a EXO vs T2 comparison if anyone is interested in that after season.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
View attachment 28358

I guess my question is how does it change the shape of the frame. With the standard stays you have curvature pushing the lumbar pad into the small of your back and especially if you have the standard shape stays. Does it make the frame feel like a flat board? If you lose that extra lumbar pressure from the curved stay will the pack slide down easier? Maybe its just me but when you are packing out an animal why would you saccrifice comfort for 1# not much difference between 100 and 101. I am curious for all you UL guys and your thoughts when carrying heavy weight.

dotman

WKR
I guess my question is how does it change the shape of the frame. With the standard stays you have curvature pushing the lumbar pad into the small of your back and especially if you have the standard shape stays. Does it make the frame feel like a flat board? If you lose that extra lumbar pressure from the curved stay will the pack slide down easier? Maybe its just me but when you are packing out an animal why would you saccrifice comfort for 1# not much difference between 100 and 101. I am curious for all you UL guys and your thoughts when carrying heavy weight.

I haven't packed or put a ton of weight in it but it is far from feeling like a board even with a empty pack, the UL conforms to your body but is straight when not on if that makes sense, the arrows bed to shape when the pack is on. It is a very flexible setup I think. I just noticed all of this with my standard day hunt gear.

bbrown

WKR
Only had a couple good loads in my old duplex with the arrow stays so far - packed out 1/4 to 1/2 per load of 3 cow elk. The comfort is no different from the aluminum stays so far. The arrows do straighten out the frame while it's off your back but once it's on your back it flexes and conforms just like the pre-bent stays - if not better actually.

Here is the heaviest load I have carried so far - 1/2 a 2-3 year old cow for over a mile across the sand and the base of the Sangres. Bone in front and hind with 1 backstrap and tenderloin in the front quarter bag. Cargo panel was perfect for this!
attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Wasn't trying to jump all over you. My humor doesn't always roll on the computer. I'm not really advocating Dora the Explorer book bags for backcountry hunts and I'm glad you had a good hunt. And it's stand up for you to offer your spot in the queue. My limited exposure to Aron leads me to think we'll of him, though, if he were sewing through the night, a couple more of these guys wouldn't be freaking out. Short bloodtrails.