NEW Kifaru Frame & Suspension Review

lintond

WKR
Oops I did it again! The Kifaru fairy got the best of my intentions of not spending a bunch of money on hunting gear. :D

Buckman

WKR
Aron for a guy that has never used a pack with a frame sheet such as the new duplex,(I use the T-1) Is there a learning curve? Does It feel way different on your back, like hard board ish?? I won't ever carry a 100 lbs in it. Thanks.

mt100gr.

WKR
aron, quick question: are the widths of the frame stay channels the same on the ultralight and the old duplex the same. I want to keep my old duplex for training etc and would love to be able to use the stays from it in the new frame as I have the aluminum bent just so. if not, is the new hunting platform available in flat back aluminum? starting with flat back means less bending to get them where I need them.
thanks

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are exactly the same, so you won't have an issue.
aron, quick question: are the widths of the frame stay channels the same on the ultralight and the old duplex the same. I want to keep my old duplex for training etc and would love to be able to use the stays from it in the new frame as I have the aluminum bent just so. if not, is the new hunting platform available in flat back aluminum? starting with flat back means less bending to get them where I need them.
thanks

bates

WKR
Just looking for some clarification

I know it's been said that one can swap the arrows for the composite stays

So can you run the standard curved stays and arrows or just the straight stays with the UL? I've never seen a frame sheet so I don't know if it rigid or not.

I'm leaning towards ordering the ul and getting the composite stays later and swapping depending on the hunt.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron for a guy that has never used a pack with a frame sheet such as the new duplex,(I use the T-1) Is there a learning curve? Does It feel way different on your back, like hard board ish?? I won't ever carry a 100 lbs in it. Thanks.

I don't think there's a learning curve, but it will feel a little different for sure.

To be honest, someone else may be better at answering this, as I really like the Duplex frame for how I hunt.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just looking for some clarification

I know it's been said that one can swap the arrows for the composite stays

So can you run the standard curved stays and arrows or just the straight stays with the UL? I've never seen a frame sheet so I don't know if it rigid or not.

I'm leaning towards ordering the ul and getting the composite stays later and swapping depending on the hunt.

You can run either in the UL frame....same frame as the hunting version, just the stays are different.

bounds

WKR
Bates - the arrows or the composite (curved) stays will work with the UL. The UL and the Hunter frame are exactly the same. The only difference is that when you purchase the UL, it comes with the arrows, when you purchase the Hunter, it comes with the curved stays. The frame sheet is mostly rigid but it will conform to the curved stays, or stay straight with the arrows.

So yes, you could order the UL and later get the composite stays and switch them out depending on your hunt.

mauidiver

WKR
It's so funny...You can tell Aron aint keen on the load shelf idea at all!! But since it seems to be the fad lately, he did it for you guys. This frame looks friggin sweet!!No forest colors yet? And that pack looks perfect!! I just bought the EXO 3500 and do love it. This is my first Pack ever so I'm learning from you guys, who are the best in the business. Love this site. How big is that new bag? CI And was the duplex the bag was on in the video a 22' frame? Im in between belt sizes and fluctuate 33-34. I got the medium on my EXO and its hits on heavy load. But im in T-shirts now and clothes should bulk it up perfect. Now I want to try this....Ugh!!! Thanks

trk3263

WKR
NEW Kifaru Frame & Suspension Review

Aron you talk about using the UL frame to pack out your bear. Is the UL or the Hunting frame your goto setup? How was the pack out compared to similar weight you have packed with the hunting frame.
My plan is to have both the hunting and UL setup but would have to wait on ordering the Hunting setup a little bit compared to ordering the UL
If ordered this week will the frame be here by OR Elk season?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron you talk about using the UL frame to pack out your bear. Is the UL or the Hunting frame your goto setup? How was the pack out compared to similar weight you have packed with the hunting frame.
My plan is to have both the hunting and UL setup but would have to wait on ordering the Hunting setup a little bit compared to ordering the UL
If ordered this week will the frame be here by OR Elk season?

The UL works really well for me, but what frame works best is highly dependent on each persons body type. Some of the guys we had try the UL frame loved it, but others preferred the hunting frame over the UL for comfort.

I like the frame comparison pics in the store. Not only for the stay length difference, but the back profiles. It really shows the difference between flat vs standard profiles.

Brendan

WKR
This isn't necessarily related to the frame - but I saw mentioned Fusion Camo bags coming - is there an ETA for when we could order those?

bounds

WKR
Aron, what is the guy's torso length in the pictures on the website? I've got an 18" torso and wondering if the 24" height would be plenty for me.

***Nevermind. Find this exact question/answer on the website.

bounds

WKR
Ok, new UL frame and Mountain Warrior ordered. Aaron, at 19" torso I went 24" since I will use this for everything, should I have gone 26"? Any chance I will see it before September 14th?

On the UL frame page on their website, a guy asks this exact question, but he has an 18" torso. Kifaru suggested the 26" frame.

Quick question - I am a 33/34" waist. Is it better to max out the small belt or hangout on the bottom end of the medium belt for comfort?

dotman

WKR
I'd go small if I was you. You want to snug the crap out of it and get it tight, med may bottom out before it gets really tight.