Moving to Colorado

*zap*

WKR
Western Kansas, that way your a close drive to visit Colorado but can easily come home to a normal place......:love:

Personally I would look elsewhere.

Born and raised in Michigan but came out here to CO at the end of 2005. The state was still pretty cool then. The beer scene was just starting to become a thing, weed hadn't attracted everybody and their brother, and it was still somewhat affordable.

I've lived in Denver and the southern suburbs. I finally managed to get get the hell out of Denver last year, but sadly my job is still located downtown. I dread the drive and being in the Denver environment every single day.

I used to ski. Now a combination of the sheer population and the cost of doing it have made it damn near impossible, or really not that enjoyable.

I used to fish a lot too. But the South Platte River is an absolute shit-show anymore. So if you want to fish, now you really have to drive a bit to get off any of the front-range water.

And that leads to all of that spilling over into the hunting community and the overcrowding of public lands. Can you still get away from some of it? Yes, but you better be willing to get out of dodge and bust your ass to go where most people won't.

I think CO has seen it's best days, but who knows. If I were you I would look in WY, northern MT, or even some parts of ID.

Oh and maybe it's the Michigan thing and people just really are nicer in the midwest, or maybe it's the fact that everyone here now is from somewhere else....but the majority of people you deal with on a daily basis seem to be absolute assholes.
This man gets it. Also from Michigan originally. Would look at just about any other western state before CO again.

Co-UT

FNG
I used to live in Grand Junction. It’s a great place to raise a family and very close to some of the best hunting the state has to offer. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
When we first moved to Castle Rock it was much more enjoyable than it is now. That city has seen a crazy population growth. If I were to live anywhere on the front range it would be Elizabeth or Kiowa.

Now If I were to live in the mountains It would be in Buena Vista. I love it there. My uncle has a cabin close to Como and Jefferson if there was any work around there it would be the place to be but there isn't.

Maybe one of these days I'll move back up there but the crazy number of people and crazy politics make OK a better option for now.

aggieland

WKR
In Colorado I would probably choose Pagosa Springs.. Montana would be Whitefish or Bozeman.
Not sure in Iaho or Wyoming but probably Sheridan..

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
So here's the problem for outdoorsmen on the Front Range...I-70. It is the only major road heading west into prime hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing areas. And it is a dang parking lot, summer or winter. Western slope, Durango, Grand Junction, all the way.

sveltri

WKR
I've spent most of my life in Salida. It was certainly a better place to live 10 years ago, but that being said its a pretty cool town to live in. Close enough to the city if you have to go, and close to good hunting and fishing. Our winter climate is one of the best in the state and summers aren't too hot. Home prices are ridiculous.

brsnow

WKR
Any idea place worth living will tend to get more populated, inevitable.

I moved to SW Colorado three years ago and in that time I have seen less and less animals and more and more people. Most folks are here to recreate, but there's still a big number of hunters everywhere. Between the number of hunters and the cattle and sheep allotments the FS allows, its getting harder and harder to hunt here. However, it still doesn't stop a ton of folks from spending the money to come here to leave empty handed, most don't even see an elk, they just get to take their rifle for a walk and get to an expensive trip to figure out backcountry hunting.

Poser

WKR
I moved to SW Colorado three years ago and in that time I have seen less and less animals and more and more people. Most folks are here to recreate, but there's still a big number of hunters everywhere. Between the number of hunters and the cattle and sheep allotments the FS allows, its getting harder and harder to hunt here. However, it still doesn't stop a ton of folks from spending the money to come here to leave empty handed, most don't even see an elk, they just get to take their rifle for a walk and get to an expensive trip to figure out backcountry hunting.

I did a very extensive amount of scouting this year for rifle season (10 days over 5 weekends) and would keep seeing new hunter camps in the same exact spots every weekend. When talking to guys who were not seeing anything, I couldn’t help but laugh at the idea that they were the 10th hunting party to camp in that same exact spot so far in archery season. You do hit a tipping point when too many other people have the exact same plans that you do, even if they are offset by a few days or weeks. One has to spend an increasing amount of time thinking about what other people won’t be thinking about where to go and how to hunt. Even with a lot of scouting, I am shocked at the remote elky looking places that are completely devoid of any fresh sign once archery season has been opened for a handful of days.

sndmn11

WKR
I've spent most of my life in Salida. It was certainly a better place to live 10 years ago, but that being said its a pretty cool town to live in. Close enough to the city if you have to go, and close to good hunting and fishing. Our winter climate is one of the best in the state and summers aren't too hot. Home prices are ridiculous.

If I could move from the Metro area, the middle to lower Ark valley would be my first choice hands down. I sure as heck would not choose to move from somewhere else to the front range or any of the ski towns.

Hoot

WKR
Aside from a stint in the army, I have lived in northern Colorado my whole life. When I got out of the army in 2006 I swore I’d never leave CO again. Now I’m married with (soon to be) 3 young kids, and I am doing everything I can to leave in the next 5 years.

I even entertained taking a promotion with my company that would transfer me to Houston.

If I could move to Wyoming Montana or Idaho, and still make a similar living I’d pack my bags tonight. If I could convince my wife to visit Alaska, let alone move, I’d find a way to end up “stranded” there for ever...

Everything I'm reading here about CO is giving me intense flashbacks of Oregon. Any town close to a major freeway or highway is phucked. Go to a grocery store along I5 anywhere and it looks like an insane asylum and a welfare center screwed and had a baby together. I guess I'm just here to tell anyone as a fellow human to make sure Oregon is not your backup plan after CO. WA is just as bad.