Moving to Colorado

brsnow

WKR
The doctors weren't force feeding them. Every prescription has a daily dosage printed on it. The user is responsible for knowing and understanding what that means. The doctors could give me a million pills, but that doesn't change the max daily dosage.

With opioids you can follow the daily prescription dosage and still become an addict. That is why you are seeing a Purdue filing bankruptcy for example. They weren’t prescribing penicillin.

All things being equal, there's zero chance I'd move to Colorado again given the choice. I'd take my talents elsewhere.

brsnow

WKR
If people are looking for a place where everyone thinks and behaves the exact same, Colorado is not the right place.

grand junction is nice for westslope access, but it is also kind of a shit-hole. but you are close to some cool shit. I think the most awesome place in colorado is Durango. not sure how work for you would be there though.

hobbes

WKR
I always liked Durango and Pagosa Springs.

I'm not really a fan of desert terrain either, but I'd pick Grand Junction over almost anything on the Front Range. I can't tell where "Denver" begins and ends while traveling north to south or south to north. It's one giant mass of people and traffic, but that's just my perspective.

I like Glenwood Springs also. Housing costs are out of control there also did to proximity to Aspen.

Other small towns that I liked:
Rifle, Montrose, Buena Vista, Salida, Eagle, Gypsum. Of those towns, cost of housing will be highest in Eagle and Gypsum due to proximity to Vail/Beaver Creek.

I lived in Leadville and worked in Avon. Leadville is not for everyone (many). Almost made it 5 years. Avon just costs too dang much.

Poser

WKR
I always liked Durango and Pagosa Springs.

I'm not really a fan of desert terrain either, but I'd pick Grand Junction over almost anything on the Front Range. I can't tell where "Denver" begins and ends while traveling north to south or south to north. It's one giant mass of people and traffic, but that's just my perspective.

I like Glenwood Springs also. Housing costs are out of control there also did to proximity to Aspen.

Other small towns that I liked:
Rifle, Montrose, Buena Vista, Salida, Eagle, Gypsum. Of those towns, cost of housing will be highest in Eagle and Gypsum due to proximity to Vail/Beaver Creek.

I lived in Leadville and worked in Avon. Leadville is not for everyone (many). Almost made it 5 years. Avon just costs too dang much.

Leadville always seems to have a vibe of depression -not sure what it is in particular as I’ve never spent any time there beyond stopping for lunch and filling up on gas. I will say, that corner facing dive bar looks cool A.F.

hobbes

WKR
Leadville always seems to have a vibe of depression -not sure what it is in particular as I’ve never spent any time there beyond stopping for lunch and filling up on gas. I will say, that corner facing dive bar looks cool A.F.

I was told just before I moved there that Leadville had two seasons, winter and August. My wife felt depressed there a lot, too much winter and too dry for her.

I live in Castle Rock too (9 years). It is way too crowded here. I might as well live in downtown Denver.

I lived in Monument/Palmer Lake for a few years and it is way less crowded. Nice area

I lived in Monument/Palmer Lake for a few years and it is way less crowded. Nice area

I lived in Monument last year and recently bought a house in northern COS a little south of Monument. There's definitely worse areas to live. I'm happy here and so is the wife, which is all that really matters. Really good public schools in this area if you have kids.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
As a Colorado native I’m pretty sad to see what this place has become, wouldn’t recommend it to anyone but if a guy was determined to live here for some reason only areas I could recommend is the FAR west edge, or the FAR south edge or the FAR east edge in that order. I live on the north edge and it’s so frickin yuppy anymore......

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would look elsewhere.

Born and raised in Michigan but came out here to CO at the end of 2005. The state was still pretty cool then. The beer scene was just starting to become a thing, weed hadn't attracted everybody and their brother, and it was still somewhat affordable.

I've lived in Denver and the southern suburbs. I finally managed to get get the hell out of Denver last year, but sadly my job is still located downtown. I dread the drive and being in the Denver environment every single day.

I used to ski. Now a combination of the sheer population and the cost of doing it have made it damn near impossible, or really not that enjoyable.

I used to fish a lot too. But the South Platte River is an absolute shit-show anymore. So if you want to fish, now you really have to drive a bit to get off any of the front-range water.

And that leads to all of that spilling over into the hunting community and the overcrowding of public lands. Can you still get away from some of it? Yes, but you better be willing to get out of dodge and bust your ass to go where most people won't.

I think CO has seen it's best days, but who knows. If I were you I would look in WY, northern MT, or even some parts of ID.

Oh and maybe it's the Michigan thing and people just really are nicer in the midwest, or maybe it's the fact that everyone here now is from somewhere else....but the majority of people you deal with on a daily basis seem to be absolute assholes.

Phaseolus

WKR
I spent my first 25 years east of Fort Collins and my last 35 years in Palisade. It’s a nicer option than Grand Junction. I’ll never move back to the Front Range. West Slope, Best Slope.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kremmling, because it’s pretty central to the north with access to rafting, fishing, hunting, winter sports, hiking, rmnp, lots of public land near by.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I moved from Denver to Basalt just over a year ago. I'm an attorney as well and joined a firm in the Roaring Fork Valley. We absolutely love it here. Glenwood is a decent place, but there are better views and easier access to public land if you go up valley. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk more about Glenwood/the valley.

Lytro

WKR
If I had the opportunity to move from CO Springs to anywhere else in CO, I would be moving to Gunnison.

Calcoyote

FNG
I am assuming that you meant Bozeman. Had a place in Big Sky for a few years, but quite frankly not a big fan of the grizzly and would have to switch professions in that Mt. is not very easy place for me to practice law. Their state bar is not very friendly for lawyers that did not go to their law schools. But Yellowstone and West Yellowstone is one of my favorite places.

If Grizzlies are a reason for not moving to Montana I would not be too concerned if I were you. It is my understanding that Grizzlies and wolves will eat just about anything except lawyers. Even they won't touch those. lol