More NR elk licenses in Wyoming?

OP

WKR
Wish I had a nickel for every time the "7250 is law and will never change" was thrown in everyone's face.

I'd guess this will lead to fewer NR licenses being issued.
Did you read the article? They were talking about INCREASING NR license #.

Those NR full price licenses are too valuable to reduce IMO, though as a resident, I'd like to see more of them in a general area vs. draw area. Sounds like they'd like to regionalize the general licenses as well which makes sense.

Last edited:

Elite7

FNG
The task force is all over the place. My opinion is that Sy is trying to do anything he can to get his clients more tags. They are also considering raising the non resident tags considerably higher

wytx

WKR
The proposal is on the info for the Commission meeting.
Here is how it reads :
Sixteen percent (16%) of the total available full price limited quota elk licenses plus the number of general elk licenses necessary to reach a total license limit of seven thousand two hundred fifty (7,250) nonresident elk licenses shall be made available to nonresidents in an initial nonresident drawing each year. The order of this initial nonresident drawing shall be Nonresident Landowner Licenses, Nonresident Special Licenses and then Nonresident Regular Licenses. Following the Nonresident Landowner License Drawing, remaining licenses from the total license limit shall be allocated as follows: Forty percent (40%) to the Nonresident Special License Drawing and sixty percent (60%) to the Nonresident Regular License Drawing. In addition, sixteen percent (16%) of the total available reduced price cow/calf elk licenses shall be offered to nonresidents in a separate nonresident initial drawing each year. Any licenses remaining after each initial drawing shall be made available in the resident initial drawing.

jmez

WKR
I read the article. They aren't talking about increasing NR licenses. I can' t see a scenario, going forward, where a state increases the # of non resident licenses sold. It's not going to happen. They will cut the total number of licenses to NR's, and issue more to residents. They will also shift more NR licenses to general areas and increase the number of resident licenses in draw areas. After a few years of that, the residents will raise hell about overcrowded general units and they will further restrict NR tags.

I hunt in WY. I'm not part of the WWT . WY can do whatever they see fit with their licenses, allocation, and percentages. Their state, their choice. The only way they increase NR licenses will be guaranteed guide tags or landowner vouchers than can be sold to NR.

jmez

WKR
I read the article. They aren't talking about increasing NR licenses. I can' t see a scenario, going forward, where a state increases the # of non resident licenses sold. It's not going to happen. They will cut the total number of licenses to NR's, and issue more to residents. They will also shift more NR licenses to general areas and increase the number of resident licenses in draw areas. After a few years of that, the residents will raise hell about overcrowded general units and they will further restrict NR tags.

I hunt in WY. I'm not part of the WWT . WY can do whatever they see fit with their licenses, allocation, and percentages. Their state, their choice. The only way they increase NR licenses will be guaranteed guide tags or landowner vouchers than can be sold to NR.

Laramie

WKR

They are indeed going to provide WG&F the ability to sell more than 7250 licenses. Those will be regionalized general tag licenses, not increases in LQ areas. By regionalizing, they will actually lower draw odds in non-grizzly areas and make the general areas in grizzly country easier to draw.

As a non-resident that hunts primarily in non-grizzly habitat, I don't really care for the changes but there isn't a good reason for the state to listen to me because it is actually pretty sound thinking from a financial perspective and from a management perspective. From my selfish perspective, it will cause me to wait an extra year or two to draw or cause me to shift areas that I have been hunting most of my life.

jmez

WKR
Absolutely they will provide the ability to sell more NR licenses. They will also provide the same ability to sell less NR licensed.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Absolutely they will provide the ability to sell more NR licenses. They will also provide the same ability to sell less NR licensed.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
This is true but unless the elk herds are drastically reduced, they really wouldn't have motivation to do that. Wyoming residents, as a group, aren't complaining about the number of general tag hunters. It is the LQ tag numbers that they are concerned with. The WG&F wants, and needs, those non-resident sales so when elk populations are up, why not sell more tags?

jmez

WKR
They aren't complaining about the general tag numbers yet. When they start allocating the tags differently they will complain, loudly. They will push a larger % of NR;s into general areas, more crowds in those generals. It is only going to take a couple years of that for them to start complaining.

OP

WKR
They aren't complaining about the general tag numbers yet. When they start allocating the tags differently they will complain, loudly. They will push a larger % of NR;s into general areas, more crowds in those generals. It is only going to take a couple years of that for them to start complaining.
Nah, we'll just go into the magical wilderness where all the 400" bulls are and you dang NR's can't bother us...

Laramie

WKR
Probably true to a point but I personally would rather the WG&F have the ability to adjust hunter numbers up and down as elk population fluctuate. Leave the management decisions to the biologists.

Keep in mind, residents weren't complaining about overcrowding from non-residents. They were complaining about not being able to draw a LQ tag. By issuing tags by region they will actually be able to keep hunter densities from getting too high, like it is currently in the SE part of Wyoming. Ultimately this should result in better management and hunting experience.