Monos vs. Lead. Which do you choose and why?

ljalberta

WKR
I have used both. I use monos now mostly for big game. My experience has been there is less meat loss from damaged meat, and less dealing with lead/shards as much in the meat. Plus I won’t mutate as much as all you lead consumers :).

There’s no doubt that lead is the better option for longer ranges or simply to maximize destructive damage and efficient killing. I may swap back off monos as I extend my effective shooting ranges.

Rick M.

WKR
Well... there it is, folks. I post my opinion in a reasonable, thoughtful way, and get personally attacked by people who provide no valuable insight, data, or intelligent discourse of their own. It's wild that simply describing my thought process for deciding to use copper bullets can garner so much vitriol.

That being said, I really appreciate and value the handful of individuals that engage in mature, respectful discourse. You guys more than make up for the bitter guys here that just seem to thrive on belligerence.

JGRaider

WKR
Well... there it is, folks. I post my opinion in a reasonable, thoughtful way, and get personally attacked by people who provide no valuable insight, data, or intelligent discourse of their own. It's wild that simply describing my thought process for deciding to use copper bullets can garner so much vitriol.

That being said, I really appreciate and value the handful of individuals that engage in mature, respectful discourse. You guys more than make up for the bitter guys here that just seem to thrive on belligerence.
The victim card is weak, very weak. Simple question....do you believe what the CDC reported about COVID, the vaccine, etc?

49ereric

WKR
so you are wanting people to tell you lead is bad?

former splicer here. i have breathed more lead fumes than most people have sucked in oxygen.
Lead only stays in the bones for 30 years and then gets excreted so not like it is permanent. Pretty sure I ate lead chips as a kid. 🥴
some people live despite the bad stuff they breath in and some have no luck.

WildBoose

FNG

Indeed, the internet is full of "Napoleons" with a complex...unfortunately Rokslide isn't any immune. Lots of great info here, just gotta sift thought the Jabronis.

I have to shoot monos here in the lousy state of California. I have seen great results in the accuracy department and mixed results on game. While I havent had an animal go far after being shot with copper, rarely have I had a dramatic bang flop. Blood trails have been mostly non-existant. No animal has gone further than 100 yards, I watched that one run in a wide open burn and watched it go down, if I hadnt been able to watch it fall I may not have found it. If it had been in thick brush Im sure it would have been a hell of a chore. The buck I killed this year I shot at less than 50 yards, bullet went in 2nd rib from the back and exited high tight to the offside shoulder. I found 1 drop of blood about the size of a pencil eraser, that deer made it about 50-60 yards down the hill.

Kurts86

WKR
I’m constantly back and forth between shooting the LRX/ELD-X/TTSX in my rifles. I killed an antelope with an ELD-X and a deer with an LRX in 2022.

I really like the LRX as a hunting bullet, I think it solves a lot of Mono bullet problems (opening velocity and BC). I don’t shoot critters past 450 yards or so velocity is less of a concern for me. I’ve definitely seen TTSX bullets not open up all that well in the past and the LRX seems like an improvement. I like that it does less damage to the meat than the ELDX does. I had an LRX open up at 1928 fps (calculated) last weekend on a deer that was dead right there at 428 yards. That’s about the limit for me so a mono works for me.

Coming from a background in metallurgical & mechanical engineering I’ve always felt bonding dissimilar metals was a less than ideal solution and left room for greater variability in terminal performance on lead cored copper jacketed bullets. I feel like Mono’s have an inherent material science advantage over a bimetal bullet.

There is no getting around the higher density of lead over copper and the better BC that will provide. Copper bullets will always suffer worse external ballistics than a lead core bullet but that’s also rarely a large factor in hunting versus target shooting. Certain groups in the hunting world definitely have a target shooters mindset and will never adopt copper bullets voluntarily. Also copper bullets make a tiny orange crayon sized splash on steel plates which sucks on the range.

I would prefer to not put lead into anything I’m eating if possible but months of off-season range time and my inner ballistics whore always brings me back to a high BC lead cored bullet from time to time.

I rather dislike the internal hunting controversy around lead free ammo. When I was doing outdoor media stuff it was the only time I got a bunch of negative feedback when I discussed hunting with copper bullets. I try to speak as analytically about the engineering pro’s and con’s of mono bullets rather than dive off into the culture war weeds.

I do feel at some point in my lifetime lead free bullets will be required for hunting and I think it’s best to learn about them now and further develop the technology.

Rick M.

WKR
The victim card is weak, very weak. Simple question....do you believe what the CDC reported about COVID, the vaccine, etc?
JG... I know your type, dude. There are trolls like you in every forum on the internet, and you and trolls like you are a dime a dozen. You thrive on creating conflict and talking to people online in a way that you'd never speak to them in person. You exist only to create arguments, call names, and sew discord. You constantly seek the validation of others by conforming to populist beliefs, without ever experiencing a moment of true self-reflection or original thought, and you lash out at others for having the audacity to be capable of doing so themselves. You contribute nothing of value. Hopefully you're a better person in real life than the persona you've adapted online. God bless.

Rick M.

WKR
I really like the LRX as a hunting bullet, I think it solves a lot of Mono bullet problems (opening velocity and BC). I don’t shoot critters past 450 yards or so velocity is less of a concern for me. I’ve definitely seen TTSX bullets not open up all that well in the past and the LRX seems like an improvement. I like that it does less damage to the meat than the ELDX does. I had an LRX open up at 1928 fps (calculated) last weekend on a deer that was dead right there at 428 yards. That’s about the limit for me so a mono works for me.
I've also had good luck with the LRX. Have you tried the Hammer bullets yet? Supposedly they mimic the fragmenting of lead core bullets, while retaining a decent amount of weight. I'm going to load some of the 120g Hammers for the Wisconsin holiday hunt.

JGRaider

WKR
God Bless you as well. I think you're overreaching personally. This is a forum of opinions. You have yours, I have mine, I don't agree with you. That's all there is to it. I told you why I don't believe what you post and that's just the way it is. Some people choose to live in fear, just the way the Fed Gov't wants you to live. I choose not to, and that's why I asked you about the CDC and COVID, a question you haven't answered yet?

Drenalin

WKR
73iwaw.jpg

OP
Newtosavage
God Bless you as well. I think you're overreaching personally. This is a forum of opinions. You have yours, I have mine, I don't agree with you. That's all there is to it. I told you why I don't believe what you post and that's just the way it is. Some people choose to live in fear, just the way the Fed Gov't wants you to live. I choose not to, and that's why I asked you about the CDC and COVID, a question you haven't answered yet?
The "if you believe that then you must believe ... too" comments are not just unproductive, they are intended to suppress and silence someone whose opinions who don't align with your own.

It's basically the right's version of cancel culture - to accuse someone of being a liberal or whatever, in the hopes you can just silence their uncomfortable opinion.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Not directed at me I know, or maybe it is more general. No fear here - especially to learn more. Maybe others fear the unknown, or learning that they have been incorrect or under informed. (Which could include me, as I’ve certainly been wrong many times.)

You didn’t ask me - but I didn’t believe everything from the CDC or Fauci. Are you going to answer my question? (“Are there any sources you would trust, ideally any who have done some level of research to show lead in meat is fine?”)

fwafwow

WKR
The "if you believe that then you must believe ... too" comments that are not just unproductive, they are intended to suppress and quiet someone with opinions who don't align with your own.

It's basically the right's version of cancel culture - to accuse someone of being a liberal or whatever, in the hopes you can just silence their uncomfortable opinion.
My only quibble with the above is that it’s not a red or blue technique. I’d consider myself “right” (but as time passes I guess I dislike them all). It’s just a way to divert from what could otherwise be a substantive discussion.

@Drenalin was right!

OP
Newtosavage
My only quibble with the above is that it’s not a red or blue technique. I’d consider myself “right” (but as time passes I guess I dislike them all). It’s just a way to divert from what could otherwise be a substantive discussion.

@Drenalin was right!
Correct. I didn't mean to imply it was the sole domain of one extreme.