Why are you shooting PRC, AI, creedmoor, or WSM?

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
The 300WSM was born in 2001 followed by the 270WSM and 7mm WSM in 2002 and the 325 WSM in 2005. The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2007 while the 6mm Creedmoor version wasn't SAAMI approved until 2017 even though I has been wildcatted and used since right after the 6.5 Creedmoor was released. Not sure what AI cartridges you are referring to but the 280AI was standardized by Nosler in 2008 when it started selling loaded ammo and brass for it and chambering their own rifles in that cartridge. The PRC family is newer but the 6.5 PRC was released in 2018 followed by the 300 PRC in 2019 and the new kid on the block, the 7mm PRC in 2022.

Ammo cost for these cartridges are pretty equal when buying the same quality of ammo. This may not be seen at your local gun shop as there are huge variables in localized retail pricing but overall for the same brand and style, prices are very similar for 30-06 to 300 PRC ammo (Midway USA price on 30-06 Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELDX @ $50.99 and 300 PRC Precision Hunter 212 ELDX @ $55.29) while both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC can be had for $45 and $50, respectively.

As for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Winchester being "questionable" for elk, I'd suggest you rethink your statement. Using all metrics both of those cartridges have more than enough killing qualities for shots on elk to 400 yards with all but the lowest performance hunting ammunition. My nephew killed his first elk at 275 yards this weekend with a 6.5CM and the high shoulder shot dropped it in its tracks. The 308 has killed elk with ease for over 70 years.

Jay
I gotacha, I'd still call anything made in the 2000's as relatively new. Not as new as the PRC's for sure bit still way newer than the tried and trues.

I can get .30-06 and 6.5 creed precision hunter for just under $40 a box locally. I didn't check prices on every other caliber but it seemed like the others started at $55. Maybe 7 rem mag was lower. Either way though, I'm still able to get corelokt and other "hunting level ammo" in .30-06 and I wasn't seeing that in most of the newer calibers.

So, my personal .308's and 6.5 creeds were running typical soft point loads when I realized that they didnt have as much energy and velocity as expected especially because my m308 was 16" long barrel. I didn't feel comfortable with the energy or velocity levels on them past 250-325. I was able to get better results with SSt's/more aerodynamic bullets and felt more confident in 300 yards. Anything can and will kill further than the rules of thumbs say for sure. I just didn't want to be close to it personally.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Back in summer of 2019, I picked up a Tikka in 30-06. This was a rifle intended for elk hunting and they had the rifle I wanted in 30-06 and 300wsm. I wanted the WSM because it was different. But ultimately I went to the 30-06. The gun shop i got it from at the time had 3 offers of ammo for the WSM at twice the cost and 20 or so for the 30-06. Covid hit 6 months the later and I’m not sure if I’ve actually seen 300wsm in stock anywhere in person since. I’m very happy with the choice I made.

Recently the amount of load offerings on the shelf is what has drove my cartridge choices.

The PRCs are great I understand that, but my local shop only have the precision hunter on the shelf. The 7PRC may have a box or two of the match. With this being the case I can’t justify getting one.
Same boat.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
What we are currently seeing is that people are taking AI cartridges, making even more adjustments to them and coming out with their own versions. The 7SAW and the Sheman line of cartridges are good examples of this. Additionally, the sharper shoulder angles and less body taper characteristics of the AI cartridges are being incorporated in even the newly developed cartridges, so I would say that things that work to increase efficiency are finally becoming mainstream within an industry that is notoriously slow to adopt new things.
Interesting, I haven't heard about any of these yet as an average Joe shooter.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I swapped from 7RM to 270WSM back in 2015 because

..I wanted a lighter rifle
...less recoil (didn't want a brake, hurtsies my ears, suppressors not much of a thing back then)
....was only hunting deer
.....didn't want to dial and the 270 is a screamer under 600
.....I was a handloader so wasn't worried about ammo cost

10 seasons later, and having killed two elk with it, still pretty happy with it. but when Ryan gets my Rokstock/Tikka/6UM done, I'm gonna try that on a few bucks because...

-less recoil
-screamer for my yardages
-am using UM for my reloads now
-and I'm afraid Ryan, Jake, and Form will judge & belittle me on the podcast if I don't switch lol