Men’s Mental Health Challenge

OP
lyle_destroys
Just checking in today boys. Hope everyone is well. Had a few hours to squirrel hunt and brought home 4 tree rats. Unfortunately I shot one at about 10 yards with 7.5 from a mod choke and it didn’t treat him well.

jahaze

FNG
I've enjoyed reading what's been posted so far. Had a great fall, killed a cow elk in Wyoming, now back home getting ready for deer season. Things looked great, until my dad took a turn for the worst. Spent the last two weeks in ICU, still a long way to go.

I know it's been said many times, but enjoy each day, pray without ceasing, and appreciate all you have. Stay safe my friends, the adventures not over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s tough being a man in today’s world. It’s easy to beat ourselves up and bring ourselves down, often forgetting what we have to appreciate. I’m going to update and bump this thread at least weekly, my plan is to state something I’m thankful for and maybe sometimes things I struggle with.
This can be an open forum for discussion, an outlet, a place to vent or my main intent; remind ourselves that no matter how dark life seems to be, we can brighten it up together.

I went squirrel hunting a few weeks ago and ran into a couple guys that invited myself and kids to tag along on the youth pheasant opener. I’m still pretty new to the area, I’m thankful for this.

Guys, tell me something you have to live for, something you appreciate. Struggling with life? A relationship? Kids? Work? You’re not alone, lots of us are so let’s talk about it. Need someone to talk to? PM me.
Love this - Grateful for the outdoors. Struggle with being present with the kids. Love stuff like this because it is a good reminder to look at what is going on around us and adapt as necessary. Thank you!

OP
lyle_destroys
I've enjoyed reading what's been posted so far. Had a great fall, killed a cow elk in Wyoming, now back home getting ready for deer season. Things looked great, until my dad took a turn for the worst. Spent the last two weeks in ICU, still a long way to go.

I know it's been said many times, but enjoy each day, pray without ceasing, and appreciate all you have. Stay safe my friends, the adventures not over yet.

Good luck to you and your family brother. Keep us updated.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Just had a couple text from some hunting friends I met the last two years while hunting. One only lives a half mile form me I found out.... Had a Teams call with our hunting party tonight for our elk hunting strategy so we are all pretty excited. So thankful for my health this year compared to last year and all the great people God put into my life who helped me with care and therapy and I'm thankful I took their advice.

It sounds like you're doing the best approach you can with your family. Being present and praying.

Alright internet strangers, here goes nothing!

I have struggled with mental illness my entire life. My official diagnosis is "Complex PTSD" from repeated childhood issues and trauma. I also have been told I am less than "typical" in terms of potentially being neuro-divergent. I'm very awkward in social settings, didn't read until I was in the 2nd grade, but started doing college level math in middle school (I entered undergrad with enough credits to be considered a junior). Luckily, I was able to point those skills/quirks into a career (see username).

Something that has helped so far is EMDR therapy. It sounds hokey, but helped me process a lot of the crap that happened. Being in the outdoors helps a ton as well. If I'm able to make it through a tough hunt and not give up on myself, daily life is much smoother and easier.

Symptoms include anxiety and panic attacks stemming from flashbacks, which sucks because I have two boys now. They'll be doing something innocuous (playing, drawing, etc.) that will bring me right back to a very bad place. It's a work in progress.

If you're struggling, there are some amazing resources out there to help. You don't have to carry this burden alone.

cjdewese

WKR

I have struggled with mental illness my entire life. My official diagnosis is "Complex PTSD" from repeated childhood issues and trauma. I also have been told I am less than "typical" in terms of potentially being neuro-divergent. I'm very awkward in social settings, didn't read until I was in the 2nd grade, but started doing college level math in middle school (I entered undergrad with enough credits to be considered a junior). Luckily, I was able to point those skills/quirks into a career (see username).

Something that has helped so far is EMDR therapy. It sounds hokey, but helped me process a lot of the crap that happened. Being in the outdoors helps a ton as well. If I'm able to make it through a tough hunt and not give up on myself, daily life is much smoother and easier.

Symptoms include anxiety and panic attacks stemming from flashbacks, which sucks because I have two boys now. They'll be doing something innocuous (playing, drawing, etc.) that will bring me right back to a very bad place. It's a work in progress.

If you're struggling, there are some amazing resources out there to help. You don't have to carry this burden alone.
Man this sounds a lot like my oldest brother, thanks for sharing your story. I just recently found out he had some pretty serious childhood traumas and still struggles with some of them. "It's a work in progress" is a great way to put it.

Keep up the good work man!

*zap*

WKR
Daily self imposed adversity, just camp out somewhere-unplug from the net for a night and read a book made from paper....

20241007_161748.jpg

20241007_205054.jpg

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR

Thanks for having the courage to share. Your story 100% helps someone else realize they aren’t alone.

IDVortex

WKR
Man, this is a good thread.

What I am thankful for? My wife, more then ever this year. Almost lost my marriage fully last New years eve, literally the night of New Years due to my brokenness and past history that I've dealt with over and over. She hasn't left me, but has came along and tried to help me along. Something I'm needing to be more thankful for then I am. Because when it all first happened, I was in a very dark place, a place that is hard to climb out of.

I'm thankful having a skill set to allow me to get away from a county job I've been working for almost 2 years. Took it as a job to get by, but hated how mismanaged and belittling it is. Now I got head hunted by a local Custom Home Builder to be a craft man's for them.

I'm thankful for my spring bear season, even though I never made it into the frank like I wanted to, or kill a bear. It got me outside to a place I can challenge myself and thank alone.

I'm thankful for my archery season, even though I only hunted 3 days due to me injury my back. But still enjoyed it. (Though I hate cattle)

I'm thankful for my wife to allow me to switch careers to follow my dream hopefully, even though it's walking away from a recession proof job.

I'm thankful for now being able to make my Friday morning Bible studies with my new job that I wouldn't be allowed to do during the winter with my county job.

I'm thankful for my life.

jahaze

FNG
Father passed away last night with the help of hospice. Grief is hitting hard this morning.

Father passed away last night with the help of hospice. Grief is hitting hard this morning.

Man sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. Hospice nurses are one of a kind for sure. Praying for you and your family.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk