Mammoths ....... in Yellowstone?

AndyB

WKR
Climate change did for Mammoths, just like it did for the grasses and sages that sustained them on their arid grasslands habitat that are now tundra , as it also did for the Remnants of Neanderthal population.
This place we call earth spat them off just as it has done with every species that has existed or will exist that can not adapt.

That's likely one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen. Creating a real Jurassic Park as a tourist attraction is less stupid.

That would be quite the NEPA document to write up. I guess they'd just have the state release the animals on private land adjacent to the park.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Obviously this needs more research.
And studies.
And government funding
And scientific writings.
And public hearings.
And voting. Don't forget voting; we need the common man
to retain his illusion of influence.

OP

WKR
If we actually get up to hunting someday, I’m going to write a book. My title will be, “Death In The Short Grass.” This is like “Death In The Long Grass,” only the grass isn’t as tall. Hopefully, the estate of the late, great Peter Hathaway Capstick won’t sue me for plagiarism.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve always wondered about the logistics of killing and butchering something like a wooly elephant, or a couple dozen buffalo run off a cliff. For some reason a few videos popped up on YouTube recently that describes it well. The large amounts of meat and hide aren’t taken to the camp, but rather the camp is taken to the meat. Makes sense to butcher and dry large amounts of meat and hides on the spot before carrying it off. I’d want my leather dome tent to be well upwind of it all. :)

I’ve always wondered about the logistics of killing and butchering something like a wooly elephant, or a couple dozen buffalo run off a cliff. For some reason a few videos popped up on YouTube recently that describes it well. The large amounts of meat and hide aren’t taken to the camp, but rather the camp is taken to the meat. Makes sense to butcher and dry large amounts of meat and hides on the spot before carrying it off. I’d want my leather dome tent to be well upwind of it all. :)
My FIL and I skinned, caped, and butchered a couple bison with the aid of one guy at the locker just sharpening knives as they got dull. I cannot fathom how folks did this at scale with stone blades and without electric tools.

TaperPin

WKR
My FIL and I skinned, caped, and butchered a couple bison with the aid of one guy at the locker just sharpening knives as they got dull. I cannot fathom how folks did this at scale with stone blades and without electric tools.
Wow - that’s a great experience with two buffalo.

One interesting bison kill video in Colorado from 12,000 years ago was 48 animals. The cool thing about it was how they could document fairly precisely where individual tools were made, resharpened and discarded when broken or worn to a nub. So many tools were needed, they surmised before the hunt a group traveled many miles away to known high quality rock sources and carried back essentially many backpacks full of semi processed tool blanks. After the butchering was done they just left a bunch of the worn or marginal tools. The logistics are impressive since they carried everything, or at most had dogs to help carry stuff.

It’s a good thing I didn’t know anything about archeology as a teenager - I would have found digging up old hunting camps to be really interesting - too interesting. There’s a Wyoming professor who traveled to Africa to stab an elephant with a spear to see how tough it was, and wrote a lot of archeology papers about ice age hunting tactics based on experiments he’s done while actually hunting. 18 yr old me would love that kind of college program. :)

One interesting bison kill video in Colorado from 12,000 years ago was 48 animals. The cool thing about it was how they could document fairly precisely where individual tools were made, resharpened and discarded when broken or worn to a nub. So many tools were needed, they surmised before the hunt a group traveled many miles away to known high quality rock sources and carried back essentially many backpacks full of semi processed tool blanks. After the butchering was done they just left a bunch of the worn or marginal tools. The logistics are impressive since they carried everything, or at most had dogs to help carry stuff.

It’s a good thing I didn’t know anything about archeology as a teenager - I would have found digging up old hunting camps to be really interesting - too interesting. There’s a Wyoming professor who traveled to Africa to stab an elephant with a spear to see how tough it was, and wrote a lot of archeology papers about ice age hunting tactics based on experiments he’s done while actually hunting. 18 yr old me would love that kind of college program. :)
Very good stuff indeed. Back in those days, they would likely have had a team of knappers to keep knives sharp and to make new ones.

The farm I manage for my wife's family sits on a bluff over a river. The area was well known as a crossroads of sorts for several different tribes back in the day. My FIL's dad farmed the land for decades, and every spring after plowing/disking, a good rain would reveal the "indian rocks" in the fields. At one time he took a nearly full pickup bed to Des Moines to sell at a flea market. This was back in the 50s.

My wife and her siblings each have a complete hammer or axe head from the farm, and I imagine there are still heads and points out there buried to this day. Unfortunately, the land is in all CRP for the most part now, so no digging is allowed.

Poser

WKR

Its interesting to note that after the Clovis hunters disappeared (along with the Mammoths, Dire Wolves, giant Camels, Sloths, and mega bison), the native Americans started showing up about 1,000 or so years later and used many of the exact same hunting camps as the Clovis. Fire rings in the exact same locations with some feet of dirt and a black mat layer (likely ash from an impact that killed the mega fauna). I was listening to an archeological podcast and they were trying to figure out why and how this happened. I was thinking, "clearly, these archaeologists have never been hunting. What made a good location for a hunting camp for the Clovis, also made a good hunting camp 1,000 years later: proximity to water, natural shelter from the wind, good hunting close by but not too close, sun in the morning, shade in the afternoon....." -seemed rather obvious to me.