Low T replacement

I was diagnosed at 27, level was 250. If you looked at me, you’d think I was not a low T candidate. I had been on a paleo/Keto diet for over a year and was training way to hard for CrossFit competitions, and essentially ruined my adrenal system. After four months of eating more carbs and working out at a more normal level, I was in the upper 500’s and felt better. A year later while feeling completely normal, I tested in the upper 200’s again. Decided to never even bother having it tested again because I suffer zero symptoms.

My symptoms were irritability and head fog, caused by adrenal issues, not T levels. The bedroom wasn’t a problem, and as others have said, it effects everyone differently.

I chose not to go on TRT because I don’t think anyone has a handle on how it could effect you 10-20 years down the road. I’m honestly anticipating an epidemic of prostrate and heart issues for guys my age (34) that have been on TRT when we reach our 50’s. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m seven years since first being diagnosed and in as good of shape as I’ve ever been.

It sounds like carbs and moderate exercise is what helped your adrenal situation ?

Is that correct, or was anything else involved? I’m interested because I feel that adrenal fatigue might be my own diagnoses. However, I’ve had no blood test yet so I shouldn’t self diagnose, but I do.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
[
I read through this thread this morning and was not liking what I was reading cause I am having a lot of the symptoms. Had a physical yesterday to include blood work. Just got the results and I have low thyroid. I have almost all the symptoms a man can have. Haven't dug into all the good, bad, and ugly of low thyroid but at least it's not low testosterone.

Food for thought for you guys that think you have symptoms of low testosterone, go to the doc for blood work I've actually been dealing with the symptoms for about three years now. Ya I've been a dumba$$.

What is your age and symptoms?

Eagle

WKR
It sounds like carbs and moderate exercise is what helped your adrenal situation ?

Is that correct, or was anything else involved? I’m interested because I feel that adrenal fatigue might be my own diagnoses. However, I’ve had no blood test yet so I shouldn’t self diagnose, but I do.

Thanks.

I started lifting heavy (deadlifts and squats mostly) and dialed back the HIT Crossfit Type workouts. Along with that, an increase in carbs (anything I wanted within reason, bread was no longer restricted, which makes increased carb intake much easier) eventually got me out of that funk. As I said, I still have low T (so far as I know, haven't been tested in 5+ years, no reason to think that's changed) but I've fathered two kids since this occurred and have maintained my fitness levels with no issues and no mounting injuries or pain.

Scrappy

WKR
[

What is your age and symptoms?
48 and symptoms almost mirror low T, as well as extreme struggles with keeping my weight down no matter how I ate. No matter how hard I train I'm getting weaker and my muscles are always sore. I just cant recover from a workout. Hard to explain it all but if you google symptoms of low thyroid I have a lot of those symptoms. I haven't seen the blood work results as well as I don't know what the numbers should be but I'm starting on Levothyroxine tonight. I'll research more on the effects of the drugs but I'm at a point I'll try anything.

IdahoElk

WKR
48 and symptoms almost mirror low T, as well as extreme struggles with keeping my weight down no matter how I ate. No matter how hard I train I'm getting weaker and my muscles are always sore. I just cant recover from a workout. Hard to explain it all but if you google symptoms of low thyroid I have a lot of those symptoms. I haven't seen the blood work results as well as I don't know what the numbers should be but I'm starting on Levothyroxine tonight. I'll research more on the effects of the drugs but I'm at a point I'll try anything.

Hope it works out for you.

Mossy

WKR
I will be 40 at the end of October this year. I had been feeling off for some time. Was tired all the time, my brain seemed as if it was in a fog, had time concentrating, would anger easily, and overall just felt poor. I’m May I went to the doctor for a physical and to get my blood works done. Everything was good with the exception of my testosterone level was low. The doctor talked about the options with me and I decided that the injections where the best for me. So now since starting the treatment I receive the shot every two weeks and fell 100% better. I have lots more energy, my brain thinks clear and my overall mood is much better. Now that I have plenty of energy I have changed my diet and started exercising more and have lost 20lbs since starting. The doctor said that I could be possible with diet and exercise to maybe one day not needthe injections. That is my goal to be able to not need the medication. I would recommend that everyone get check because it has made a great difference in my life. My wife is not so sure about me taking the testosterone but that is because I won’t leave her alone. Now getting out of bed is the second hardest thing in the morning if you know what I mean.

Does anyone else have any experience with testosterone replacement?

What are your thoughts?

Interesting....I’ve been chasing the same symptoms for 7 years. Been through 2 different years of “sleep apnea” treatment, multiple medications for “depression”, lots of stimulants, heart tests, mri’s and everything in between.
First stop did blood work and thought I did roids due to my levels being 97. Did the patch for a couple months, no change in symptoms. Long story short I changed doctors and after blood work he said my levels were normal.
That being said, I’m seeing a different doctor in a couple weeks to have it all checked out again.

I’m 38 now and no closer to the truth despite all the money I’ve put into the economy from tests😄

I’m glad you found your issue and hope things continue to get better

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
For any of you on this thread with symptoms, I encourage you to read on the Tnation TRT forum. Lots of cutting edge information there as well as Life Extension. There is a stickies section on Tnation, read all of it and it will be a huge help. Yours and my health is up to us. We need to know more than the docs for our sake. Most normal docs do not know about proper TRT protocol, to include Endos. Some do, some don't. Also, really exami e the information on Tnation and Stop The Thyroid Madness about thyroid issues. There again, a "normal" doc is going to miss alot of the things. You need to know all you can, as many men have undiagnosed thyroid issues and just because your TSH is "in range" doesn't mean Jack. Almost everyone who cares about their health will be better off at some point in time/age by starting on TRT, simply because eventually everyone's hormones get out of whack. Increasing T to youthful levels when you're are low enough really doesn't have a downside as long as it's monitored. Of course you need to eat well and lift and Sprint, etc., but at some point there is nothing more you can do without herbs or meds. Knowledge and finding a good doc are the keys. The knowledge is really pretty easy, but finding a good doc is many times the hard part.

Mike 338

WKR
Hmmm, I'm 40 and I don't feel 20. Got a pill for that? I believe what yer describing is Ponce-deLeonitis. T... the gateway drug to butt implants, botox and hair plugs.

curt514

FNG
I am 39 and I have been on shots every two weeks for 4 years. I have been through two family physicians and two endocrinologists (MU and U of U) and everyone agrees that I am on the correct dosage plan. I have had my thyroid levels, estrogen levels, testosterone levels and about everything else checked and the only thing that comes back off is the testosterone.

I was working an off shift 6 and 7 days a week for years and it messed up my health. Sleep apnea, insomnia, weight gain, and at my lowest my T levels were 178. With the shots I am averaging closer to 1000. I do have ups and downs but for the most part they are manageable. When I get low I get very irritable and it does not take much to set me off.

I am now on a day shift and only working 5 days a week. I am not getting away from the sleep apnea but I would like to start backing off my shots. I was in another state and living away from my family for a few months during a cross country move and I went about 2 months without a shot. There was a couple questionable times but for the most part I felt way better than I used to.

Marble

WKR
Interesting....I’ve been chasing the same symptoms for 7 years. Been through 2 different years of “sleep apnea” treatment, multiple medications for “depression”, lots of stimulants, heart tests, mri’s and everything in between.
First stop did blood work and thought I did roids due to my levels being 97. Did the patch for a couple months, no change in symptoms. Long story short I changed doctors and after blood work he said my levels were normal.
That being said, I’m seeing a different doctor in a couple weeks to have it all checked out again.

I’m 38 now and no closer to the truth despite all the money I’ve put into the economy from tests😄

I’m glad you found your issue and hope things continue to get better
What were the numbers? Some doctors really dont know about low T so they just look at numbers and not the entire patient.

Marble

WKR
I am 39 and I have been on shots every two weeks for 4 years. I have been through two family physicians and two endocrinologists (MU and U of U) and everyone agrees that I am on the correct dosage plan. I have had my thyroid levels, estrogen levels, testosterone levels and about everything else checked and the only thing that comes back off is the testosterone.

I was working an off shift 6 and 7 days a week for years and it messed up my health. Sleep apnea, insomnia, weight gain, and at my lowest my T levels were 178. With the shots I am averaging closer to 1000. I do have ups and downs but for the most part they are manageable. When I get low I get very irritable and it does not take much to set me off.

I am now on a day shift and only working 5 days a week. I am not getting away from the sleep apnea but I would like to start backing off my shots. I was in another state and living away from my family for a few months during a cross country move and I went about 2 months without a shot. There was a couple questionable times but for the most part I felt way better than I used to.

Sounds like there may be some other things besides low T going on. But for the TRT, the people who compliant about ups and downs are the people that does every two weeks. Weekly seems much more manageable.

Cockeye

WKR
I’m on weekly IM injections and feel so much better. I’m actually working with three different doctors.to get my dose tuned in to whole body therapy. I have been able to get my A1C to drop a whole point which is great being I’m a type 1 diabetic. I’ve been working out for 1.5 hrs every other day so my weight has actually gone up 5# but in muscle and not fat. I’m 49 6’2” @ 229# heavy industrial Electrician and now feel like I’m 49 not 65.

Shraggs

WKR
Pretty spot on advice

Actually type 1 diabetes and daily use of insulin guarantees low testosterone. No way to replace this naturally due to effects of chronic use of insulin, a hormone. Not sure made up by Pharma is a factual statement at all. Opinion written emphatically maybe.

7Bartman

WKR
For any of you on this thread with symptoms, I encourage you to read on the Tnation TRT forum. Lots of cutting edge information there as well as Life Extension. There is a stickies section on Tnation, read all of it and it will be a huge help. Yours and my health is up to us. We need to know more than the docs for our sake. Most normal docs do not know about proper TRT protocol, to include Endos. Some do, some don't. Also, really exami e the information on Tnation and Stop The Thyroid Madness about thyroid issues. There again, a "normal" doc is going to miss alot of the things. You need to know all you can, as many men have undiagnosed thyroid issues and just because your TSH is "in range" doesn't mean Jack. Almost everyone who cares about their health will be better off at some point in time/age by starting on TRT, simply because eventually everyone's hormones get out of whack. Increasing T to youthful levels when you're are low enough really doesn't have a downside as long as it's monitored. Of course you need to eat well and lift and Sprint, etc., but at some point there is nothing more you can do without herbs or meds. Knowledge and finding a good doc are the keys. The knowledge is really pretty easy, but finding a good doc is many times the hard part.
Wow, drink the internet kool aid much? Please don't think that there aren't downsides to exogenous testosterone supplementation. Simply put, everyone's hormones don't get out of whack. It's called ageing and normal physiology. By finding a good doc, you mean someone who will continue to write you scripts for steriods, while not reminding you of the risks? Does one just stay on "T" for life and suppress their endogenous testosterone production. Remember, we don't have longitudinal studies beyond a few years to evaluate the long term effects of this.

I read this shaking my head. I'm on T shots. And, it appears that many people are too.

6 years ago I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in my left testicle. I had it removed and then went through 80 treatments of chemotherapy. I was told before hand that I likely would need TRT if I lived. And, they were correct. My case is very delicate in the fact that the slightest thing will negatively affect my levels. Medicine, a cold, the wrong foods, alcohol. And, I will guarantee you that I am not alone.

I have a team of doctors that monitor/monitored my health. I have a host of residual effects of the chemo. In their words, "We gave you enough chemo to kill a horse.". So, the nutrient levels I fight to keep within normal parameters and, my T levels are closely monitored in order to feel human. So, I have learned a lot about the low T issue.

Bowman Grey endo's, dietitians, and cancer doc's are very knowledgeable about this stuff. And, they will be the first to tell you that this is not a one size fits all issue. So any body here that is doing this through a family doc that did not explore to find out why things are not normal, is really just winging it. And anybody that is taking it from a doctor that is simply looking at your free T numbers alone to base proper medications levels on, is not doing it the best way. However, all the doc's I have seen through his fiasco agree that a balanced diet, an active lifestyle, and ZERO processed food will promote natural levels in EVERY man that has at least one testicle to help the process.

Keep in mind too that TRT ain't all good either. You are guaranteed to have increased blood pressure after long term use with injections. And, a 45 year old man shouldn't be walking around with levels that mimic active, healthy, 20 year old men.

To some people these treatments are the difference between a miserable life and a happy life. To others, its a bandaid. Grown men shouldn't wear bandaids because they made a dumb decision or, haven't exploited all other options. If you are taking it, make sure you fall into the category that it was a mandatory thing. Because once you start, every treatment is one more that ensures you will never get off of it.

Good luck and God Bless men

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider

We all have make choices in life. Some people do have hormonal problems due to chemicals, head trauma, etc. To ignore problems that can be changed for the better is not wise IMHO. I didn't feel well and did my research. I am extremely healthy, eat very little processed crap, mostly a modified Paleo, lift heavy, sprint, etc. I had thyroid issues and low t/low E2. Nothing was going to fix that. I did my due diligence and made my choice. I do take HCG which keeps your testicles working. I don't care what anyone believes or does and am just pointing anyone interested to the places with good information.