Lined vs treated leather boots

Delta21

FNG
Folks that’s had experience with both, which would you prefer? Leather lined boots properly treated and waterproofed, or gortex ( or something similar) lined?

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to see what others have to say. I don’t like gortex or similar, the ones I’ve used start leaking well before the boot is worn out. My feet sweat quite s bit so usually wear something that has no liner at all with only my sock between the leather and my foot. I have been using Obenouf boot wax and I think it’s as good as any thing else I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
Looking forward to see what others have to say. I don’t like gortex or similar, the ones I’ve used start leaking well before the boot is worn out. My feet sweat quite s bit so usually wear something that has no liner at all with only my sock between the leather and my foot. I have been using Obenouf boot wax and I think it’s as good as any thing else I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m in same boat, my feet sweat and they get cold quick. Bad combination! Lol

It seems like most boots on the market have a Goretex or E-vent liner these days, so all of my boots do have that. My conclusion is that the liners are pretty near useless, especially after they've gone through a season of wear. The only truly waterproof solution is to heavily wax leather boots. I use a heat gun to apply Sno Seal until the leather won't absorb anymore and it works great.

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
It seems like most boots on the market have a Goretex or E-vent liner these days, so all of my boots do have that. My conclusion is that the liners are pretty near useless, especially after they've gone through a season of wear. The only truly waterproof solution is to heavily wax leather boots. I use a heat gun to apply Sno Seal until the leather won't absorb anymore and it works great.
So I wonder if the lining breaks down, are you losing breathability with a liner that doesn’t stop water?

wildcat33

WKR
Ive never experienced a leather only boot (no waterproof membrane) that is truly waterproof when conditions get tough. A good sno-seal or any other wide variety of sprays, rubs, or waxes only offer temporary resistance to water. Eventually the leather soaks through, especially around the toe crease.

So I wonder if the lining breaks down, are you losing breathability with a liner that doesn’t stop water?
Yes, probably some. Liners add some degree of water resistance, but they aren't truly waterproof.
Keep in mind you'll lose some breathability by heavily waxing the boot as well.

Ive never experienced a leather only boot (no waterproof membrane) that is truly waterproof when conditions get tough. A good sno-seal or any other wide variety of sprays, rubs, or waxes only offer temporary resistance to water. Eventually the leather soaks through, especially around the toe crease.
Is that a surface treatment only, or a full saturation using a heat gun?

S-3 ranch

WKR
I’m in the treated leather category
gortex liner is great but will eventually start leaking due to wear and tear
I use sheep oil / lanolin to condition my boots and they are water resistant in any snow or wet conditions, just not for long term wading, using chapstick on the stitching seals the midsole

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Folks that’s had experience with both, which would you prefer? Leather lined boots properly treated and waterproofed, or gortex ( or something similar) lined?

There is no truly waterproof shoe or boot that isn’t rubber. They can be highly water resistant, and that resistance changes with use.

The longest I’ve had a Goretex shoe maintain a real level of water resistance is less than 6 months of use. That was one pair. I had one pair that lasted about three months (90 days). Every other pair, even of the exact same brand and model has been less than 30 days of use, and generally less than three weeks. This has been relatively consistent with those I’m around.

Goretex/waterproof membranes tend to give good initial water resistance. However, to get that you get a boot that doesn’t breath, is very hot when moving, and takes forever to dry once it does get wet inside- which will happen whether from leaking or sweat. In late season multi day hunts this causes them to freeze from sweat or snow and they do not dry out for the duration of the trip. That same membrane that helped when new and dry, now hurts by holding onto water inside it. Even a hot tent at night won’t get them fully dry. Before going to an all leather shoe, I and several others started using non membrane shoes just because they would dry at least. When needed a waterproof sock was used.

A proper leather shoe or boot that has been treated with wax, etc. can be, and is very water resistant- ranging from matching Goretex, to only slightly below it when the membrane is brand new. Within days/weeks that leather boot is as good or better than the membrane from then to the end of the shoes life. The wax/treatment of the leather does wear off, but generally lasts a couple of weeks of constant use and is easy to reapply. I am on the current pair of leather boots for about 9 months of use. I retreat the leather every 30 days or so of use, and they are as good as the day they were bought. This has also been consistent with those I’m around.
The leather, even when waxed is way more breathable than than a membrane boot, when it does get wet inside from snow leaking ir sweat, it dries much faster, and will dry out each night by the fire or stove- especially when it is a shoe or boot that isn’t insulated.

The key with both membranes and leather is that when it is constant water I carry a pair of Goretex socks and put them on. The socks will dry out at night in a sleeping bag, and do a much better job than a membrane in the boot. A leather waxed shoe and membrane socks for when really wet has been by far the most bombproof and best combination across the board, that also breathes significantly better.

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
There is no truly waterproof shoe or boot that isn’t rubber. They can be highly water resistant, and that resistance changes with use.

The longest I’ve had a Goretex shoe maintain a real level of water resistance is less than 6 months of use. That was one pair. I had one pair that lasted about three months (90 days). Every other pair, even of the exact same brand and model has been less than 30 days of use, and generally less than three weeks. This has been relatively consistent with those I’m around.

Goretex/waterproof membranes tend to give good initial water resistance. However, to get that you get a boot that doesn’t breath, is very hot when moving, and takes forever to dry once it does get wet inside- which will happen whether from leaking or sweat. In late season multi day hunts this causes them to freeze from sweat or snow and they do not dry out for the duration of the trip. That same membrane that helped when new and dry, now hurts by holding onto water inside it. Even a hot tent at night won’t get them fully dry. Before going to an all leather shoe, I and several others started using non membrane shoes just because they would dry at least. When needed a waterproof sock was used.

A proper leather shoe or boot that has been treated with wax, etc. can be, and is very water resistant- ranging from matching Goretex, to only slightly below it when the membrane is brand new. Within days/weeks that leather boot is as good or better than the membrane from then to the end of the shoes life. The wax/treatment of the leather does wear off, but generally lasts a couple of weeks of constant use and is easy to reapply. I am on the current pair of leather boots for about 9 months of use. I retreat the leather every 30 days or so of use, and they are as good as the day they were bought. This has also been consistent with those I’m around.
The leather, even when waxed is way more breathable than than a membrane boot, when it does get wet inside from snow leaking ir sweat, it dries much faster, and will dry out each night by the fire or stove- especially when it is a shoe or boot that isn’t insulated.

The key with both membranes and leather is that when it is constant water I carry a pair of Goretex socks and put them on. The socks will dry out at night in a sleeping bag, and do a much better job than a membrane in the boot. A leather waxed shoe and membrane socks for when really wet has been by far the most bombproof and best combination across the board, that also breathes significantly better.
That’s good stuff, thanks for that. Have you had issues where you wear the water proof socks and the boots get wet and freezing overnight?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I've never had a waterproof boot leak except my garbage Rockies. No waterproof membrane will ever be 100% waterproof. Not possible. They'll all eventually wet out. But that's not the same as leaking.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a pair of leather asolo with goretex, probably 10 years old and they still keep my feet dry. I usually get a couple seasons out of asolo non leather with goretex before they leak.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I got a littel over 10 years out of my Hanwag Alaska GTX (leather boots with goretex liner) before they started to leak. 10 years of hard use. Months of training hikes every year, piles of hunts in various terrian/weather for spring bear, goat, elk, griz, deer. Lots of hunts that involved multiple creek crossings, traversing across wet slides, backpack hunts etc. where the boots were not able to dry on the outside for the entire hunt but kept my feet dry. Only wetness inside the boots was from perspiration and sock changes managed that. I do use a goretex gaiter to keep my pant leg dry and keep water from wicking in from above.

They needed to be resoled twice, but eventually one boot started to leak. Now I can treat them and only get away with very mild wetting but they' not reliable for later season or wet weather hunts.

From day one, I cleaned and treated my boots (with Obenauf's LP) before and after each hunt and regularily during training (even warm dry summer months). I suspect allot of leather boot damage can occur when used in dry conditions if maintenance is neglected.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I should clarify- good leather boots with a goretex membrane are much better. My post was more specifically speaking to synthetic boots/shoes with Goretex. In a leather shoe, the leather is doing the majority of the work keeping water out.