Lowa Tibets , GTX or leather lined ?

I have tried on and figured out my fit with these boots. Wondering which way to go on the lining. Mountains and sheep hunting on the agenda. Backpack hunting in Alberta. What I am wondering is how long the goretex stays waterproof and are the leather lined more comfortable ? Would love to hear opinions on the pro 's and cons both ways. I have a pair of leather Zamberlan heavy hikers from a long time ago that I will be getting resoled, they are leather lined and I like the comfort. I do not have experience with goretex in these type of boots. So, let my education begin....

Last edited:

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
I have both And I would say the leather lined are just as waterproof as the goretex if you put leather conditioner on them. With that said the leather lined are much more comfortable and form to my feet better. Just make sure that you use a conditioner on the liner as well. It will make it last longer and not wear out in the heal as fast. I’ve got two pair of leather lined and one goretex, I rotate them on multi day hunts and that allows them to dry out better.

OP
G
Thanks for the reply. I found the the leather ones slightly more comfortable when trying them on as well.

OP
G
Are there other boots that would have the same fit as Lowa Tibets or close that I should be considering ?

I have the leather lined Baffin pro which appears to be the same boot as the Tibet. My experience has not been that they are equally waterproof to a membrane but are much more breathable.

The toe flex pushes water through the leather and once wet, they take longer to feel dry. For quick creek crossings or dry snow, I think they're solid. Wet or melting snow/slush and dew or rain on vegetation have resulted in wet feet for me. If you wear a leather glove and grab something wet, your hand stays dry initially but eventually the leather wets through, treated or not.

For what it's worth, I think many of people's goretex "failure" stories are a result of not understanding how the membrane works. Most of the rest probably are liner stitching problems.

I have another pair of Lowas that I should get resoled because they have basically no tread left. The goretex still works fine after three years of wearing them most days in variable conditions.

My opinion is that the leather lined are definitely more comfortable and that I wouldn't worry about wearing out the goretex.

Love my lowa tibet gtx. Have 4 pair and wear them daily for work play and hunt. No experience with the leather lined.