Lightweight Suppressor Comparison and Poll

For Backcountry hunting, which suppressor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm just wondering when someone will make an aluminum bodied can that's significantly lighter than the scythe-Ti. Maybe you need so much more of the aluminum that it doesn't pan out? I know they make some aluminum bodied cans, but they're not all that light, at least not in the rifle cartridge category.
Anyone see any decibal testing on the scythe-Ti by 3rd parties? I'm really curious how quiet it could be with a flush end cap in 22 cal for the 22 creed. My ultra 7 is excellent, but if I can shave about 3 ounces off the end of the barrel, that's tempting! However, saving what's left of my hearing is paramount...
I have 30 cal and 556 endcaps on the way to me now to try on the scythe. Hopefully be able to tell you exactly what you wanna know shortly, if my 22cm comes back from kampfield soon

Trackselk

WKR
I have 30 cal and 556 endcaps on the way to me now to try on the scythe. Hopefully be able to tell you exactly what you wanna know shortly, if my 22cm comes back from kampfield soon
I greatly appreciate it! Please let us know if you tracked down the ti end caps. I think Karl has been about 2-3 months lately, but I know mine was held up a bit as his cerakote guy was out of town. YMMV

I greatly appreciate it! Please let us know if you tracked down the ti end caps. I think Karl has been about 2-3 months lately, but I know mine was held up a bit as his cerakote guy was out of town. YMMV
Dang, then it might be a couple months lol. I dont know if they’re titanium but i dont think the ones i ordered are

Trackselk

WKR
I noticed one report of the 1st round pop being significant with the scythe-Ti, or worse than (ultra 7?)? Being a hunter, this is my primary concern with it. I have one in cart, but afraid to pull the trigger without more decibal tests

I noticed one report of the 1st round pop being significant with the scythe-Ti, or worse than (ultra 7?)? Being a hunter, this is my primary concern with it. I have one in cart, but afraid to pull the trigger without more decibal tests
Ryan avery says the scythe is quieter than his gen 1 ultra 7 in the thread I started about the scythe. I don't have decibel testing equipment, not sure if ryan has access to any but im sure someone will do a non biased test at some point

Trackselk

WKR
Ryan avery says the scythe is quieter than his gen 1 ultra 7 in the thread I started about the scythe. I don't have decibel testing equipment, not sure if ryan has access to any but im sure someone will do a non biased test at some point
Thanks again, and thanks for taking one for the team! I have the gen 2 6.5 version, and it's impressive with the 22cm FWIW

280rem

FNG
Going back to way earlier posts, I bought both the dead air nomad Ti and Cgs Hyperion K at the same time. The entire buying process sucks for actually KNOWING what you really want. In the end with the way I had to mount it using an adapter on my thin barrel, the nomad Ti came in very close in actual weight to listed weight. Had less poi shift (most likely because a lot less weight than Hyperion K) and to my ears had superior suppression to the Hyperion K. The Hyperion K once it was ready to be mounted to my rifle came in a lot heavier than listed weight, so much so it would never have made my consideration having known this. The main reason, in my situation, I needed an adapter on my adapter to match the stupid thread setup they have, or at least their recommendation was I use an adapter for their threads, so I did. I can only say that the Hyperion K looks to be a very tough made suppressor and rated to larger cartridges than the nomad Ti. But in my situation of lightweight hunting suppressor, the Hyperion K is a fail in every category I place value on, and honestly I have 0 complaints on the nomad Ti and love it. Sure wished I had 2 nomad Ti instead of the Hyperion K. Just offering up some insight as a consumer and my experience.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Going back to way earlier posts, I bought both the dead air nomad Ti and Cgs Hyperion K at the same time. The entire buying process sucks for actually KNOWING what you really want. In the end with the way I had to mount it using an adapter on my thin barrel, the nomad Ti came in very close in actual weight to listed weight. Had less poi shift (most likely because a lot less weight than Hyperion K) and to my ears had superior suppression to the Hyperion K. The Hyperion K once it was ready to be mounted to my rifle came in a lot heavier than listed weight, so much so it would never have made my consideration having known this. The main reason, in my situation, I needed an adapter on my adapter to match the stupid thread setup they have, or at least their recommendation was I use an adapter for their threads, so I did. I can only say that the Hyperion K looks to be a very tough made suppressor and rated to larger cartridges than the nomad Ti. But in my situation of lightweight hunting suppressor, the Hyperion K is a fail in every category I place value on, and honestly I have 0 complaints on the nomad Ti and love it. Sure wished I had 2 nomad Ti instead of the Hyperion K. Just offering up some insight as a consumer and my experience.
Good feedback.

eoperator

WKR

I agree, had I known the extra length and weight from thread adapter I would not have considered it. Paying more money for the hyp k that ended up longer and heavier was a mistake.

The Hyperion K once it was ready to be mounted to my rifle came in a lot heavier than listed weight, so much so it would never have made my consideration having known this. The main reason, in my situation, I needed an adapter on my adapter to match the stupid thread setup they have, or at least their recommendation was I use an adapter for their threads, so I did.
Direct thread is much nicer imo. An adapter for an adapter doesn't make much sense. What is your barrel's threading?

280rem

FNG
Direct thread is much nicer imo. An adapter for an adapter doesn't make much sense. What is your barrel's threading?
Well I have a kimber mountain ascent, I knew going in that I would have to use kimbers very small adapter to get to 5/8x24. But then I find out the cgs has a tapering thread that they “recommend” use of a tapered thread adapter if you don’t have tapered threads on your gun. So I get that which is a rather long and heavy adapter and adds another junction point to be concerned about. But ultimately suppressor plus heavy adapter took the real world weight completely out of the weight range of suppressors I was considering. Look very closely at details on suppressors you’re considering to make sure everything is apples to apples.

Well I have a kimber mountain ascent, I knew going in that I would have to use kimbers very small adapter to get to 5/8x24. But then I find out the cgs has a tapering thread that they “recommend” use of a tapered thread adapter if you don’t have tapered threads on your gun. So I get that which is a rather long and heavy adapter and adds another junction point to be concerned about. But ultimately suppressor plus heavy adapter took the real world weight completely out of the weight range of suppressors I was considering. Look very closely at details on suppressors you’re considering to make sure everything is apples to apples.

Just thread the Hyperion K onto the 5/8x24 that you're already using for the Nomad TI, and then you can treat it like any other direct thread without a weight or length penalty. You don't absolutely have to use the CGS adapter with the taper (the threads themselves aren't tapered). Once you do that, the Nomad TI and the Hyperion K will not be noticeably different in weight or size, and with the Nomad having a very slight edge in suppression (according to Pew Science), and the Hyperion K being more durable and having an edge in low back pressure (nice if shooting semiautomatic).

I definitely agree with your last sentence.

280rem

FNG
Just thread the Hyperion K onto the 5/8x24 that you're already using for the Nomad TI, and then you can treat it like any other direct thread without a weight or length penalty. You don't absolutely have to use the CGS adapter with the taper (the threads themselves aren't tapered).
Well since I’m already pushing the envelope of what can support a suppressor with my barrel and kimber adapter, and because cgs recommends the use of it, I thought it prudent to do so in my application. I do agree the Hyperion to be of very robust design. I’m only offering some insight I found after the fact and wish I had understood before purchase. My application was a shorter ultralight suppressor for hunting purposes on a bolt action rifle. The dead air nomad Ti I’m very happy with and was a no nonsense application. The cgs on the other in my mind is saying our suppressor weighs this and that looks fantastic but oh by the way you “should use” this extra 3oz (or whatever it is, I don’t recall) adapter because we have a tapered threading system, and your gun doesn’t. If I had a larger barrel yes I would probably just thread the the dang thing on a roll with it. Instead I wish I owned 2 nomad Tis

eoperator

WKR
Just thread the Hyperion K onto the 5/8x24 that you're already using for the Nomad TI, and then you can treat it like any other direct thread without a weight or length penalty. You don't absolutely have to use the CGS adapter with the taper (the threads themselves aren't tapered).

In my case putting the hyp k on a seekins element, the outside barrel dimension is nearly the same as the inside taper dimension on the suppressor leaving no shoulder to tighten against. The $100 cgs thread adapter is necessary in this application.
17023054895046006797813148116783.jpg

270quest

WKR
I have read every thread I can find on suppressors till I am blue in the face and still not 100% sure on my choice. I want a ltweight hunting suppressor. It would be going on a 20" barreled 8twist 22-250 that Kampfeld is rechambering to 22 creed. I am having him build a shoulder for a direct thread.

I have looked at the TBAC 5, Backcountry Banish, and the Gunwerks 6ti. I want to stay short and lightweight as a possible. Considering its a smaller round (22 creed) can I expect a decent amount of sound suppression even from one of these smaller cans? Any feedback on the ones listed or suggestions? I really dont want to go over 6" and would prefer 5 since I am running a 20" barrel.

Would it be worth it to go to an 18" barrel to go to say a 7" can and still be around 25" max barrel length?