Lightweight Suppressor Comparison and Poll

For Backcountry hunting, which suppressor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BjornF16

WKR
Quite a few threads on Suppressors, which got me re-assessing my Omega 300 for backcountry hunting.

Disclaimer: I'm actually pretty happy with the Omega 300 performance (although I'll admit I've not shot some of the other suppressors being discussed on RS). On the range, I wear muffs or custom molded ear plugs. When hunting, I choose no ear pro (confirmed by getting "jumped" by a black bear in CO one year). Thus far, I haven't taken a suppressor into the backcountry.

My primary goal is a significant reduction in weight over the Omega 300 while remaining hearing safe for a couple of shots.

I've collated some info into spreadsheet to help with decision making. There were some surprises for me:

1. Banish Backcountry has more potential volume than my Omega 300
2. Only the Jäger, Raptor 4, and Ultra 5 have less potential volume than my Omega 300
3. AB Raptor 6 looks pretty good and would likely be better performance than my Omega 300

Take a look at the info below, then place your vote (2 choices), then give your rationale. I know "potential volume" isn't really a solid indicator of suppressor performance, but it's a starting point for some comparisons. If you know of less expensive options for any of the below cans, let me know.

Edit: Primarily shooting 22CM, 6CM, 6.5CM. Also did not add in volume of the Raptor reflexes (as I don't really know their full impact).

1677788795549.png

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
When looking at weights make sure you factor in the mount. Example would be the backcountry, look at the manual for the not bull crap marketing weight.

Similar for non dt TBAC.

sram9102

WKR
I've been eyeballing a Nomad Ti for a while. I bought the current cans I have on a whim when a good deal came up and I wish I had done more research. Damn AAC 7.62 sd weighs over a pound and a half with a mount and isn't magnum rated. I did get 2 free .22 cans with the purchase of 2 center fire cans but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Also from a cost perspective Harvester Evo probably deserves a look.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
When looking at weights make sure you factor in the mount. Example would be the backcountry, look at the manual for the not bull crap marketing weight.

Similar for non dt TBAC.
Updated the Backcountry...7.8 to 9.0 oz with DT mount.

Already had the TBAC direct thread mount weights

Also from a cost perspective Harvester Evo probably deserves a look.

No real value over my Omega 300; it comes in at over 11 oz.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I ordered a banish backcountry due to that length and little fatter dia - but I really struggled and almost changed to that nomad ti, the numbers and potential looked so good. Same story on the gwerks 6+ Ti. $/oz savings is a good way to look at it, apart from what you can infer on performance. I've stuck with the backcountry simply because it was my first, so I did the monthly payments while waiting on ATF, and I got my trust established. If you are looking to save weight and get the best performance possible, the dead air, rugged alaskan, 6+, and backcountry all look like pretty good options. The anecdotal side by side comparison on here is probably what I would consider after the specs, then just pick the company/product you like the best?

I noticed the Nomad Ti didn't make the poll but that's the one I ordered after I put together a similar chart. I factored in the Pew Science decibel reduction ratings into my decision. Here's what I had under 14oz for reference.

Also, since you're primarily shooting 6.5mm and under, have you considered a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 in their 6.5mm size rather than .30 cal? My understanding is that the closer the ID of the suppressor to the round you're shooting, the better performance decibel reduction and recoil management wise. Since you have the Omega 300 already, a can more specific to the caliber might be a good option.

ManufacturerModelWeight
(oz)
Length
(inches)
O.D.
(inches)
MaterialAttachmentThread PitchCalibersSuppression Rating
(Shooter's Ear)
NotesPriceVendor
ThunderbeastUltra 7871.5TIMD
DT
MDMax = .300 RUM
Min = 5.56
NA
Ultra 9 = 45db
$1,180
Silencer CentralBanish Backcountry7.85.51.6TIMD
DT
5/8-24
MD
Max = .300 RUM30db$1,100Silencer Central
Dead AirNomad TI9.66.51.7TIDT5/8-24Max = .300 WM
Min = 5.56
.308 WIN = 41.3db$1,000Silencer Shop
Dead AirNomad 30146.51.7SSDT5/8-24Max = .300 WM
Min = 5.56
.308 WIN = 37db$850Silencer Shop
SilencerCoHarvester EVO10.86.241.6SSDT5/8-24
1/2-28
Max = .300 WM$580Silencer Shop
QTrash Panda11.86.91.75TIDT5/8-24
1/2-28
Max = .300 WM
Min = 5.56
.308 WIN = 33db
5.56 = 27.2db
$1,100Silencer Shop
CGSHyperion K10.26.31.75TIMax = .300 RUM
Min = 5.56
.308 WIN = 37.1db
.300 BLK = 48db
$1,000Silencer Shop
RuggedAlaskan 36011.87.51.6SS & TIMax = .338 Lapua
Min = 5.56

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I ordered a banish backcountry due to that length and little fatter dia - but I really struggled and almost changed to that nomad ti, the numbers and potential looked so good. Same story on the gwerks 6+ Ti. $/oz savings is a good way to look at it, apart from what you can infer on performance. I've stuck with the backcountry simply because it was my first, so I did the monthly payments while waiting on ATF, and I got my trust established. If you are looking to save weight and get the best performance possible, the dead air, rugged alaskan, 6+, and backcountry all look like pretty good options. The anecdotal side by side comparison on here is probably what I would consider after the specs, then just pick the company/product you like the best?
I'm watching some of these anecdotal performance threads closely; I know @Formidilosus has stated that the Ultra 5 "is barely a suppressor", so I guess that would also mean the Jäger is barely a suppressor as well.

I'm curious of how the Raptor 4 would perform with 6CM (actually I have 6XC). The Raptor 6 may well be the best value.

Looking at the stats, the Gunwerks 6ix+ Ti basically knocks out the Backcountry (hardly any price difference between the two and the 6ix+ has a lot more volume).

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how the kgm r30k would stack up against the others? It's 5.8", 9 oz., and 1.75" diameter.

6.5x284

WKR
Lots of great options. I run an Ultra 5 (.264) since my hunting rifles are all .264 and smaller. Length and weight were my top priorities. No issues without ear plugs for shooter or spotters when hunting. Outside of hunting I run suppressor and ear pro with any suppressor. Don’t think you can go wrong with any on your list. For a pure hunting can I want as small and light as possible. For a multipurpose can I’d look at something like the Nomad Ti in that 10oz + range. My hunting partner runs an Ultra 7 (.308) for a .264 cal bullet and it works great too. Outside hunting there is no perceivable difference vs my .264 bore Ultra 5 to the ear.

From your list I would choose Nomad Ti or try CGS unless it’s dedicated 100% for hunting.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm watching some of these anecdotal performance threads closely; I know @Formidilosus has stated that the Ultra 5 "is barely a suppressor", so I guess that would also mean the Jäger is barely a suppressor as well.

If you know exactly what you are getting with the Ultra 5 and Jäger, then they are viable options. While “barely” a suppressor, they still are suppressors as most would define that.

Looking at the stats, the Gunwerks 6ix+ Ti basically knocks out the Backcountry (hardly any price difference between the two and the 6ix+ has a lot more volume).

The Hyperion K is the same length/minutely shorter, and 1.5’ish ounces heavier, and for 1.5 ounce the sound difference is noticeable sided by side.

TheCougar

WKR
If you know exactly what you are getting with the Ultra 5 and Jäger, then they are viable options. While “barely” a suppressor, they still are suppressors as most would define that.

The Hyperion K is the same length/minutely shorter, and 1.5’ish ounces heavier, and for 1.5 ounce the sound difference is noticeable sided by side.
Are there any measurable differences between suppressor recoil reduction? I’ve heard anecdotally that a good brake reduces felt recoil by 50% and a suppressor is closer to 25-30%. I’ve got a modified Tikka 7RM that was unshootable with my son, but we put an APR side ported brake on it and now he shoots it very well and loves the rifle. I want to change to a can, but I’m worried that it will regress to a flinch-inducing recoil for him and his sisters behind him. For my situation, recoil reduction is just as important as weight and dB reduction.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are there any measurable differences between suppressor recoil reduction? I’ve heard anecdotally that a good brake reduces felt recoil by 50% and a suppressor is closer to 25-30%. I’ve got a modified Tikka 7RM that was unshootable with my son, but we put an APR side ported brake on it and now he shoots it very well and loves the rifle. I want to change to a can, but I’m worried that it will regress to a flinch-inducing recoil for him and his sisters behind him. For my situation, recoil reduction is just as important as weight and dB reduction.

Actual recoil reduction is better with a brake. However, suppressors not only reduce recoil, they also slow the whole impulse down, and by greatly reducing muzzle blast the perceived recoil is greatly reduced. Most people I know would rather shoot a suppressed 300 mag than a braked 300 mag for normal use.

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Were you part of the group that tested these two along with the Raptor 8? I'm interested in more opinions comparing the Raptor 8 and Hyperion K

I have an evo , Og harvester , half Nelson , Hyperion K , omega , specwar . My next silencer will be the AB raptor 4 most likely . I find myself wanting to go shorter and shorter .

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Were you part of the group that tested these two along with the Raptor 8? I'm interested in more opinions comparing the Raptor 8 and Hyperion K

If you are speaking of what Ryan wrote, yes, I was there.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sorry, yes I was talking about Ryan's post. Did you share the opinion that the Raptor was quieter/sounded better than the Hyperion K?

I was shooting them, and from behind the rifle the Hyperion K and Raptor were same/same to me. A couple of shots I preferred the Raptor, a couple I preferred the Hyperion K. In general I prefer the tone of the Hyperion K in field environments to most other suppressors.