Lightweight Suppressor Comparison and Poll

For Backcountry hunting, which suppressor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for pointing that out...I've updated the table in OP
Are you basing internal volume on the OD of the silencer ? If so that could be a bit misleading . The omega has an external sleeve around a welded baffle stack .
Also internal volume isn’t always an indicator of the silencers performance on various cartridges . A good example of this is the Q silencers . They have a ton of volume , but don’t do great on supersonic cartridges . Pictured is a Q half Nelson and Hyperion K .
The Hyperion is much quieter on the supersonic hunting ammo I’ve tried( 308 , 6.5 prc , 300 prc ) . But the Q is noticeably quieter on lower pressure stuff like 300 blackout .

Attachments

• 24DB5D3E-5171-4BB7-B244-79D0C12344F1.png
    24DB5D3E-5171-4BB7-B244-79D0C12344F1.png
    857.8 KB · Views: 106
OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Are you basing internal volume on the OD of the silencer ? If so that could be a bit misleading . The omega has an external sleeve around a welded baffle stack .
Also internal volume isn’t always an indicator of the silencers performance on various cartridges . A good example of this is the Q silencers . They have a ton of volume , but don’t do great on supersonic cartridges . Pictured is a Q half Nelson and Hyperion K .
The Hyperion is much quieter on the supersonic hunting ammo I’ve tried( 308 , 6.5 prc , 300 prc ) . But the Q is noticeably quieter on lower pressure stuff like 300 blackout .

Dude...if you read my OP, I clearly state "potential volume" is not a great measurement given the internals. It is for comparison only.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. This has been helpful. One issue I had is my guns are 24" #5 contour Benchmark w/ 1/2x28 threads. I was set on TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 but since they recommend min 9/16 threads and not to use an adapter I wanted options for direct thread for my son and I so we could remove the suppressors easily. (I know many are running TBACs w/adapters and no issues tho.) I THINK I've settled on AB Raptor 8 (I'll get the 2" reflex + flush mount) and Silencer Co Harvester EVO. These were the suggestions my local shop suggested - based in part on what lines they carry and it was helpful to handle all the options they had in stock. They also suggested the 6-7" range for more noticeable suppression vs 5" cans and since i'm not building an ultra light weight mountain gun. Both guns are 7prc and we stayed w/24" because we weren't sure we wanted cans but didn't want to lose any velocity. In hindsight I think I would have been better w/22" barrel.

Will confirm my purchase soon and would appreciate any other info on light weight suppressors with a 1/2x28 direct thread from the manufacture. I'm trying to keep it as streamline as possible and don't want a 3rd party adapter. I just wish the Raptor, as someone else put it, didn't look like a sex toy.

Thanks. This has been helpful. One issue I had is my guns are 24" #5 contour Benchmark w/ 1/2x28 threads. I was set on TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 but since they recommend min 9/16 threads and not to use an adapter I wanted options for direct thread for my son and I so we could remove the suppressors easily. (I know many are running TBACs w/adapters and no issues tho.) I THINK I've settled on AB Raptor 8 (I'll get the 2" reflex + flush mount) and Silencer Co Harvester EVO. These were the suggestions my local shop suggested - based in part on what lines they carry and it was helpful to handle all the options they had in stock. They also suggested the 6-7" range for more noticeable suppression vs 5" cans and since i'm not building an ultra light weight mountain gun. Both guns are 7prc and we stayed w/24" because we weren't sure we wanted cans but didn't want to lose any velocity. In hindsight I think I would have been better w/22" barrel.

Will confirm my purchase soon and would appreciate any other info on light weight suppressors with a 1/2x28 direct thread from the manufacture. I'm trying to keep it as streamline as possible and don't want a 3rd party adapter. I just wish the Raptor, as someone else put it, didn't look like a sex toy.
Depending on the diameter of the end of your barrel, I've heard of TBAC making face mount brakes where it torques up against the muzzle of your barrel so you don't have to have a shoulder. Might make 9/16 or even 5/8 possible.

I guess I'm naive.....I was under the assumption that people bought suppressors to suppress.....sound, and the fact that they help mitigate muzzle blast/jump. At least those were important reasons for me.
Seems like there should be clear winners,way to many conflicting opinions makes it hard to make the jump.

TheCougar

WKR
@BjornF16

Thanks for the thread. I’ve narrowed down my choices to the
Hyperion K
Gunwerks6iX+Ti
AB Raptor 8/3 or 6/5

Like you said, everyone’s priorities are different. My #1 priority is recoil and blast reduction for my kids. Next is to get the lightest and smallest suppressor I can.

It’s a tough choice. I’ve got to start the paperwork now so I can have it for next year. I would get the Alaskan360Ti, but they raised the price to $1700!!!

Last edited:
@BjornF16

Thanks for the thread. I’ve narrowed down my choices to the
Hyperion K
Gunwerks6iX+Ti
AB Raptor 8/3 or 6/5

It’s a tough choice. I’ve got to start the paperwork now so I can have it for next year. I would get the Alaskan360Ti, but they raised the price to $1700!!!
Hey I'd be down to sell you my 360TI at a huge discount as a demo can. PM me if interested

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Do this. Send a few questions to the top choices. I did and AB called me within minutes. Answered all my questions and that was the deal sealer - that and they said they could do diff threads so I won’t need an adapter. Ordered a Raptor 8 and 6 with a 2” and 4” reflex. Now I’m going to want to shorten my barrel to 20”…..
also, on the bull barrel reflex it seems db's don't drop much but the tone changes - plus the weight of the reflex. I'm thinking I won't use the reflex but it comes with it - so a free option to try. Maybe it's better or maybe it helps with balance.

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
I know it is late in the process, but have you looked into Otter Creek labs Hydrogen? I just bought the L version this week. Gets super solid reviews on Pew Science, and the price is pretty good. Plus, for me at least, they are local KY company.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at your list if you want THE lightest functional suppressor it’s going to be hard to beat the Gunwerks 6ix +. I have a hard time believing the Alaskan 360 Ti will be quieter than the Gunwerks suppressor. The backcountry seems rather loud to me. But I had nothing to compare it to when I was around it. The cleaner winner is the consumer. I would hunt with all four of the suppressor’s I tested. In fact I will hunt with the Gunwerks a lot because of its weight a couple ounces is a couple ounces.

c5a02aa96ebe48118a2d6e26a0c0e5ea.jpg

The ultra 5 is 8.4oz the Gunwerks 6ix+ is 8.8 oz. Can you guess which is hearing safe for most rifles???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm just starting down the suppressor road as well. I was curious what your thoughts are when comparing the Gunwerks 6ix+ to the Ultra 7. Which do you prefer?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I'm just starting down the suppressor road as well. I was curious what your thoughts are when comparing the Gunwerks 6ix+ to the Ultra 7. Which do you prefer?
Industry changes quickly. I think it will be tough to beat the new Sico Scythe based on initial reports, size, and weight.

OP. May be worth adding to your excel sheet. To compare apples to apples I’d include it without its anchor brake. Approximate values would be ~8oz and ~6” (both likely a tad less). Width 1.735”.

Another thread saying beating the nomad Ti and AB 8. Seems pretty solid for size and weight. Ones in jail for me waiting.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Industry changes quickly. I think it will be tough to beat the new Sico Scythe based on initial reports, size, and weight.

OP. May be worth adding to your excel sheet. To compare apples to apples I’d include it without its anchor brake. Approximate values would be ~8oz and ~6” (both likely a tad less). Width 1.735”.

Another thread saying beating the nomad Ti and AB 8. Seems pretty solid for size and weight. Ones in jail for me waiting.
Does anyone have firsthand experience on how the Scythe does compared to the ultra 7? Obviously it's smaller, so perhaps more ideal for hunting, but how well does it suppress?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Does anyone have firsthand experience on how the Scythe does compared to the ultra 7? Obviously it's smaller, so perhaps more ideal for hunting, but how well does it suppress?
@Cameron.25 discussed it in another thread. I’ll see if I can link it. I believe he compared to Nomad, DD STi, and AB 8/10. He said better than all. According to my personal comparisons and research from pew science, tbac YouTube videos, etc I feel the following:

-Omega is very close to tbac 7 (my experience with buddy who agreed).

-most rate Nomad suppression better than omega and the STi better than the Nomad (pew science has their comparison as well).

-only person I know whose compared (@Cameron.25 ) said Scythe is better than both.

Therefore I conclude outside of direct comparison it will “likely” be better than ultra 7 if not darn close. I’m guessing it will be closer to Dominus.

Last few pages discusses. Sounds like he’ll provide some more detail as well. Expect to see some more comparisons from others soon.

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
@Cameron.25 discussed it in another thread. I’ll see if I can link it. I believe he compared to Nomad Ti, Omega, and AB 8/10. He said better than all. According to my personal comparisons and research from pew science, tbac YouTube videos, etc I feel the following:

-omega is very close to tbac 7 (my experience with buddy who agreed).

-most rate Nomad Ti suppression better than omega.

-only person I know whose compared (@Cameron.25 ) said Scythe is better than both.

Therefore I conclude outside of direct comparison it will “likely” be better than ultra 7 if not darn close. I’m guessing it will be closer to Dominus.
Thank you for sharing those details, even though you basically already told me that. It's nice to have the background info on how you have arrived at that conclusion. Much appreciated. I'll do some more searching for that thread as well.

TheCougar

WKR
Thank you for sharing those details, even though you basically already told me that. It's nice to have the background info on how you have arrived at that conclusion. Much appreciated. I'll do some more searching for that thread as well.
When I see your screen name, all I hear is Joe Dirt. Hoosker Doos and Hoosker Donts…. I have no idea what it means, but I like it.

I dont own any TBAC but im very impressed with the scythe. I have several similar cans and im choosing to take the scythe on my hunts in a couple days because its lighter, shorter and just as quiet as the others. Hopefully that helps. I will post in that thread at some point after continued use. Just super slammed getting ready to leave!

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
When I see your screen name, all I hear is Joe Dirt. Hoosker Doos and Hoosker Donts…. I have no idea what it means, but I like it.
Yeah haha. That's the most common reference I get. As a kid, I worked on a ranch and the rancher gave me the nickname. I guess I reminded him of a farmer character in a memory game called Husker Du (Danish). Anyways, it stuck. To this day I have family and friends that call me Hoosker.

Trackselk

WKR
I'm just wondering when someone will make an aluminum bodied can that's significantly lighter than the scythe-Ti. Maybe you need so much more of the aluminum that it doesn't pan out? I know they make some aluminum bodied cans, but they're not all that light, at least not in the rifle cartridge category.
Anyone see any decibal testing on the scythe-Ti by 3rd parties? I'm really curious how quiet it could be with a flush end cap in 22 cal for the 22 creed. My ultra 7 is excellent, but if I can shave about 3 ounces off the end of the barrel, that's tempting! However, saving what's left of my hearing is paramount...