Lightest reliable pic rings?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Exactly 5 inches. I don’t think that will work with the kimber 8400/warne bases. The 84L action is exactly 1/2” longer than the 84M. The 84M bases fit the 84L, but the 2.5-10 NXS is just shy of having enough mounting space. I would imagine the 8400 action is similar length than the 84L, but I’m not sure as I’ve never had one.
I’m not sure of the exact length of my 8400 but with talley lightweights both set inward towards the action, there is t enough room for my shv 3-10 and it has the same mounting space as the Nxs 2.5-10.

I was thinking though, I have maxima bases for my 375HH, I should just order the NF rings, I can see if they fit those bases for sure and either leave them if they do or throw them on the rail of my 8400. Only problem is if they don’t fit the 375, I won’t have the chance to order Ken Farrell rings.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Yes but on traditional stocked rifles like a Kimber Montana you need to keep the optic low to get a good cheek weld. Otherwise you end up with a chin weld or none at all which makes the rifle harder to shoot well or you end up adding a cheek pad or riser which adds weight and bulk.
No argument from me on what’s comfortable or personal preference.

Here’s an interesting read about it,

I’m not sure of the exact length of my 8400 but with talley lightweights both set inward towards the action, there is t enough room for my shv 3-10 and it has the same mounting space as the Nxs 2.5-10.

I was thinking though, I have maxima bases for my 375HH, I should just order the NF rings, I can see if they fit those bases for sure and either leave them if they do or throw them on the rail of my 8400. Only problem is if they don’t fit the 375, I won’t have the chance to order Ken Farrell rings.

You should so you can clarify the issue for me 😂 order some lows

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You should so you can clarify the issue for me 😂 order some lows
Let me sleep on it, I may just do it. I know the warne mtn tech rings will fit the warne bases but I was really thinking of getting the Ken Farrell rings to mount my scope on my 300. I suppose the nightforce is probably just as good as the Farrell, just not quite as low.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
What is the downside of machining whatever amount of relief into a pic rail for your liking??
I have a pic rail on a 84L that would be optimal with relief @ the ejection port. Seems it would likely cure most ring spacing problems, feed, and weight issues???
Similar issues I want easily interchangeable scopes.

Macintosh

WKR
For what its worth, I have filed off the front or the front teeth on a pic rail for a couple LA rifles. I no longer own most, but I still have an old browning BBR where the only mount I could find was an EGW extended pic rail—scope bell did not clear the rail extension, not even close. A hacksaw, a file, and a sharpie (or aluminum black) and the scope now fits and no one has ever noticed but me. I have also filed off the first tooth and a half or so, and created a beveled edge on the front for the same reason. A little more complicated cut, but there’s no reason you couldn’t take a big slot out of the middle leaving a thin web along the offside. (Like the one posted earlier in this thread, and with a round file or dremel you can even get fancy with radiused corners, etc)

I am surprised at a few comments earlier in the thread that people have been able to swap scopes and rings onto a different pic rail and remain zeroed. I’ve swapped scopes on pic rails pretty frequently, it is my preferred mount at this point, and I find that I’m always very close but rarely actually what I would consider zeroed. Example, I just put a scope back on my CTR, it’s a 20 MOA rail with seekins branded rings, It was only about an inch off but it was off. I hope it’s not a derail, but for any of the folks that do this with success, do you have a protocol that maybe I could learn from?

Last edited:
No argument from me on what’s comfortable or personal preference.

Here’s an interesting read about it,

Thanks for sharing that article. I have an acquaintance who shoots PRS at a high level. Ran into him recently, and he stated that he's using higher scope placement and different face-comb alignment. We didn't get into rational.

I have several rigs kinda gathering dust; I'll maybe set one up this way and do some comparative analysis with a couple of my low scope, higher comb set ups.

freddyG

WKR
The bikini style flip up covers the compacts come with fit. I don’t usually run flip ups, so no clue on the tenebraex covers.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks. Got it setup today. Looks like it will work.
View attachment 514327
What did you do here? Warne bases with nightforce rings on an 84l Montana?

I ended up skipping the Murphy precision rail, I’m sure they are nice but it’s more or less impossible it seems to sell rails and rifle specific scope rings in the even you don’t use them so I went with a warne mountain tech rail for my 8400. I’m thinking I could send it to some machine shop to have a chunk cut out of the center.

I have a pair of warne mountain tech .865 low rings which had plenty of room with my scope so I loved the warnes onto my 375HH with warne maxima bases.

I ordered the Ken Farrell low rings for the Kimber project, they are about as low as you can get at .735.

Does anybody know a machine shop that would mill an opening into a pic rail that they didn’t manufacture?

Warne base with Nightforce low rings on my 84L. The Nightforce rings fit perfectly into the weaver slot on the Warne base. About the same height as Talley lows I think.

SDHNTR

WKR
What did you do here? Warne bases with nightforce rings on an 84l Montana?

I ended up skipping the Murphy precision rail, I’m sure they are nice but it’s more or less impossible it seems to sell rails and rifle specific scope rings in the even you don’t use them so I went with a warne mountain tech rail for my 8400. I’m thinking I could send it to some machine shop to have a chunk cut out of the center.

I have a pair of warne mountain tech .865 low rings which had plenty of room with my scope so I loved the warnes onto my 375HH with warne maxima bases.

I ordered the Ken Farrell low rings for the Kimber project, they are about as low as you can get at .735.

Does anybody know a machine shop that would mill an opening into a pic rail that they didn’t manufacture?
Farrell had aluminum low 30 mm in stock?