Lightest reliable pic rings?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m ditching talleys on a few rifles and wondering who makes a good reliable pic ring that isn’t overly heavy. I realize a ring/rail is going to be heavier than a talley lightweight ring/base setup.

Nightforce? Warne?

Thank you!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Warne, Warne Vapor, Leupold PRW2
Not why I answered, but I do have all of those if you are interested..

Steiner H-series are considerably lighter than any other pic ring make I've handled/used. Unable to comment on reliability. I recently bought a set and noticed the slot lug is a half-length lug vs a crossbar.

SDHNTR

WKR
My favorites are NF ultralights and Ken Farrell’s. The Farrells especially if you want the lowest height. Both light AND rock solid, which is most important to me.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Between NF UL, Hawkins Tactical, Seekins/Vortex PMR, Badger Ordnance, APA, and ZCO, the NF UL have been the lightest.

Hawkins and Seekins have been within a partial ounce, but the NF have been the lightest I’ve owned.
I wonder if the lowest nightforce rings would allow an shv 3-10 on a rail without hitting.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My favorites are NF ultralights and Ken Farrell’s. The Farrells especially if you want the lowest height. Both light AND rock solid, which is most important to me.
Never heard of ken Farrell, I’ll check those out thanks!!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The vapors aren’t vertically split. But yes, I agree 100% I crimped the tube on a scope with some vertical split talleys.

They make both vertical and horizontal split Vapors. I had only seen the vertical ones.

However, I would almost guarantee you the design of the horizontal split Vapors is anything but “rugged”. Have used quite a few rings of nearly identical design, and they were all sub optimal.

JFK

WKR
I wonder if the lowest nightforce rings would allow an shv 3-10 on a rail without hitting.

It has more to do with action length and rail height. The 3-10 shv is a really short scope and gets tricky on a long action. The objective and the power ring can hit the pic base. I have a 3-10 shv on a sauer 100 (similar to tikka they are all built on a long action) and had to experiment to get it just right. Using Burris xtr two piece bases. Seekins lows were too low and the scope contacted the pic base. Warne mountain tech rings solved it. Have been very happy with this setup.

SDHNTR

WKR
Whoops, wrong quote. See above. I have that same scope on another rifle with a Bart 3b (heavy sporter contour) and use Farrell lows with plenty of clearance. And they are even lower than the NF lows.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It has more to do with action length and rail height. The 3-10 shv is a really short scope and gets tricky on a long action. The objective and the power ring can hit the pic base. I have a 3-10 shv on a sauer 100 (similar to tikka they are all built on a long action) and had to experiment to get it just right. Using Burris xtr two piece bases. Seekins lows were too low and the scope contacted the pic base. Warne mountain tech rings solved it. Have been very happy with this setup.
If the shv is just too short for the Kimber 300, I wouldn’t mind leaving the trijicon tenmile 3-18 on that rifle. With the SWFAs in the mail and it being the off season I thought it would be a good time for some musical scopes.

The main thing though is I want a sturdier mounting setup on that 300 with the heavy scope. I think the shv is 22oz and the tenmile is just under 26oz