Lightest reliable pic rings?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Guess I missed it, did you have a back order going? When I called in January I was told they’d be ready in the spring
Well this just got even shittier. This whole situation has just gone from annoying to complete horse shit and right now I’m thinking of just selling this rifle and getting something else. The kennfarrell rings I ordered are not aluminum so I’m sure they will weigh like 8oz, I’m not even going to mess with them, just arrange a return and when they get here in the mail I’ll just return them.

This is really annoying and honestly if I’d never made this thread, my life would be better.

I was just going to use the warne maxima bases and nightforce rings and move on with my life, then that guy posted that those bases won’t work (they will). That sent me down Thai rabbit hole that has had me making purchases and returns like it’s going out of style.

I’m just frustrated. If I had t made this thread and just done what I’d planned. I’d be done and happy. Now I have another return to make.

SDHNTR

WKR
That makes more sense now. For the last couple of months, it seems like they have only have the steel ones available on their website. No aluminums at all, not even for back order. I’ve also emailed them twice for an ETA, no response.

Apparently, they fit into the all too common category in the hunting industry, where they make a great product, but are lacking in business and communication skills.

SDHNTR

WKR
FWIW, APA makes rings that are almost as low and almost as light. Less than an ounce difference, per pair. And just .015” taller. Negligible.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
FWIW, APA makes rings that are almost as low and almost as light. Less than an ounce difference, per pair. And just .015” taller. Negligible.
Maybe I’ll get those when I return the KF ones. One thing is for sure, I’m not making any more threads about crap like this on RS. I would have been miles ahead by not starting this thread and doubt my thing.

Seems like options for direct mount stuff is fairly limited there’s talley, leupold back country, DNZ depending on what sort of rifle you have. It’s not the screws I’m worried about breaking it’s the actual talley lightweight rings. Just too many examples of them cracking, they just don’t give me much confidence. I suppose I could try the leupold back country rings since they are supposed to be stronger, I don’t have much interest in those Hawkins ones with the 20moa elevation either as you can’t reverse the rings to maximize ring spacing.

Honestly not sure if leupold dual dovetails are available for a Kimber 8400 magnum.

The Hawkins are pretty awesome…

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What a drama queen
Sorry, bad advice on this thread cost me a lot of time and money. I had it right already and made a mistake listening to somebody here talking about something they knew nothing about.

The drama queen is you, chiming I’m just to call people names??? That’s something a real drama queen would do lol.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use their hybrids with the tenmile on my fft. Just saved me some ounces by not having to use a rail.
Seems like most guys end up with pretty sub optimal ring spacing and a really strange looking rifle using those since they aren’t revearsable like talleys. How did yours come out/fit? Not that it matters all that much it just always looks strange to me when you have several inches of scope tube in supported.

I think the reality for me right now is that I’m just going to get leupold backcountry rings since they are supposedly stronger than talleys and I don’t want built in elevation. Skip the rail etc.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry, bad advice on this thread cost me a lot of time and money. I had it right already and made a mistake listening to somebody here talking about something they knew nothing about.

The drama queen is you, chiming I’m just to call people names??? That’s something a real drama queen would do lol.
I hope that wasn’t me. But I try not to babble on about stuff I’m not experienced with. Your timing was just unfortunate as Farrell just recently seemed to stop offering aluminums.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hope that wasn’t me. But I try not to babble on about stuff I’m not experienced with. Your timing was just unfortunate as Farrell just recently seemed to stop offering aluminums.
Nah, wasn’t you. I do wish I’d never heard of Ken Farrell rings though lol. By the time I pay return shipping and his re stocking fee on the rings coming in the mail, I may have just as well bought those apa rings.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nah, wasn’t you. I do wish I’d never heard of Ken Farrell rings though lol. By the time I pay return shipping and his re stocking fee on the rings coming in the mail, I may have just as well bought those apa rings.
Sorry man. They are really well made. Might be able to sell them here at full boat.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sorry for your misfortune but I’m glad I found your thread on this. I was really close to ordering the same rings but if they’re sending steel when aluminum is selected that’s BS!! I’m really afraid I’m going to go off the deep end and order spuhr hunter rings to get the same end result.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m sorry for your misfortune but I’m glad I found your thread on this. I was really close to ordering the same rings but if they’re sending steel when aluminum is selected that’s BS!! I’m really afraid I’m going to go off the deep end and order spuhr hunter rings to get the same end result.
Their website is terrible, but when they have aluminum available (like now apparently) there will be a button to select that material. When no such button appears, all they have available is steel.