License Fraud help!

I’m curious how they even felt the need to investigate if you didn’t have resident licenses simultaneously in more than one state.

A likely trigger is an out of state credit card billing address. Assuming they don't have credit cards and bills mailed to a school bus but rather the house in WA.

A likely trigger is an out of state credit card billing address. Assuming they don't have credit cards and bills mailed to a school bus but rather the house in WA.
Very likely. The out of state billing address can be easily cross referenced with county assessor's info. If your name shows up as an owner at the address, they start digging.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
First off why are you even talking to someone on the phone who claims to be a warden. But if it turns out to legit, I doubt it's worth fighting. Admit your honest mistake and get it over with.

fwafwow

WKR
I’m new here and would love to pick your collective brains on an issue I just ran into.
Get a lawyer. At least talk to one before determining you can't afford it. If your father-in-law was generous enough to put your name on the deed to the WA property, maybe he can loan you enough to pay the lawyer. (BTW, if he thinks putting your and your wife's name on the deed is helpful for tax purposes, I think he needs a better tax advisor.)

State domicile issues arise most frequently when people try to move from a taxing state to one that doesn't tax residents (especially Florida). Domicile is usually based on intent, which is determined based on facts and circumstances. Not owning a home in Idaho doesn't mean you are a NR, but owning a home in another state is a fact that doesn't help you. (By the way, did you claim a homestead exemption on the WA home? If so, not a good fact.) Other facts (DL, doctor, voter registration, etc.) may mitigate the issues.

Don't take or rely upon legal advice on the internet and the above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

MNGrouser

FNG
1) Unintentionally breaking the law isn't going to help you in this case. It is a general intent crime and ignorance of the law is never a defense.

2) IN the Live in Stat A move to State B situation you describe, you are likely considered a resident of State A until you establish residence in State B.

3) Failure to use the tag will be of no consequence. You committed the fraud, if you did, when you purchased a resident tag for a place where you were not in fact a resident.

4) Washington should have NO jurisdiction to enforce Idaho laws. The ID game warden should know this and I can't fathom what he is thinking by threatening that.

5) Home ownership does not control residency. As other's have pointed out, you can own multiple homes but that doesn't make you a resident of each one.

6) My best advice is to hire a local lawyer. When my tooth hurts I go to the dentist. They are trained in the law and will help you navigate the system.

7) You likely committed a separate crime each license you bought. I would imagine the final disposition will involve pleas to one or more with others being dismissed, but the complaint with all the individual charges will be intimidating when you first see it.

8) What you can do to influence the result now? Not really. You can't change the facts or influence residency any more.

9) The likelihood of losing your license varies by type of crime and jurisdiction. Please see my advice at #6 above. A local lawyer is going to be able to navigate this much better than keyboard internet lawyers.

Many have asked if you held resident licenses in other jurisdictions. Don't answer that. You have incriminated yourself enough on a variety of fronts already.

I thought that would have been a bigger red flag to agencies until I was in the military and saw a lot of (legal) crazy residency (and multiple residency) situations that never got flagged for the AD member or their family piggybacking on the same benefit. Now I'm curious how much info they have access to without probable cause. The only time I saw someone get in trouble was when a newb picked up a resident fishing license on TDY by accident, but it got dropped out of pity more than anything else because he paid more for an annual resident license than he could have for a 3 day non-res.

CorbLand

WKR
I thought that would have been a bigger red flag to agencies until I was in the military and saw a lot of (legal) crazy residency (and multiple residency) situations that never got flagged for the AD member or their family piggybacking on the same benefit. Now I'm curious how much info they have access to without probable cause. The only time I saw someone get in trouble was when a newb picked up a resident fishing license on TDY by accident, but it got dropped out of pity more than anything else because he paid more for an annual resident license than he could have for a 3 day non-res.
They wouldnt need access to much. Your name, address, all of that is public information. Run a check against names on R licenses and land/home tax records. Flag the ones that have conflicting results and go from there.

100% speculation but they probably looked at this one and said. "Dude owns one house, in Washington, just across the border and has Idaho resident tags/licenses. I have a slightly lower than average IQ but can see what is happening here."

I just know that's how the game and fish flagged me.. I had a project in CA, my credit card got compromised so I had to change my billing address to CA so they could ship me a replacement. Bought license online, billing address was my work apt in CA when entering the payment. Warden camped out down the street from my buddies house (my permanent address) for hours until he came home one evening and approached him in his driveway asking if he was me or knew of me..

I could totally see them being more lenient on service members than some regular travelling construction schmuck.