Leupold VX5HD vs. Zeiss V4 vs. Trijicon Credo HX

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've read dozens of threads and am hopelessly stuck on scopes.

I need some help on selecting a rifle scope. I have a Browning xbolt 30.06. Primary use is hunting whitetail deer with shots ranging from 50 yards to 300 yards. I have plans to do some western hunting in the future which would include plains antelope and Colorado elk. I anticipate both would be in the 100-400 (maybe 500) yard range. Last would be general target shooting.

My budget is $1k. Would like to stay in the 20-23oz range or less.

Durability is most important, with optical quality being a close second.

I've narrowed it down to these three scopes:

1. Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44, Firedot illuminated duplex
2. Zeiss V4 4-16x44, either the #60 Plex illuminated duplex or the ZMOA-T30 illuminated reticle
3. Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42, red MOA center dot illuminated reticle.

I was originally set on the Leupold but read enough posts to be concerned about durability, tracking, and RTZ. This has the best warranty and is lighter weight, along with USA manufacturer.

The Zeiss V4 seems like a forum favorite. A little heavier than the VX-5HD. More reticles to choose from. Seems bullet-proof. 4x low setting is a little higher than I'd prefer for very close shots (i.e. 50 yards). Warranty is not as good as the Leupold. The ZMOA-T30 reticle looks nice and only the center cross is illuminated. Optic quality appears to be a toss up with the Leupold from what I've read. Japan manufacturer.

The Trijicon has the ideal magnification range; the 2.5x low setting is very intriguing and would be awesome for close shots, without giving up the upper magnification! Very appealing. The entire reticle is illuminated, which I think looks a little busy. It is heavier than the Leupold, but not by much. Not much info online about optic quality, tracking, etc., so it is difficult to compare to the VX-5HD and the V4. Warranty is similar to V4. Japan manufacturer.

The price difference for me between the three is about $100, so cost is not a factor.

Okay, Rokslide brain-trust, if you were buying a new scope for my use and cost is not a factor, which of these three scopes would it be?

Last edited:
OP
C
I love my VX5-HD. I have had zero issues. Only downside of the duplex reticle is a lack of hash marks to more easily hold for wind, but the firedot is awesome.
I have a Leupold VX-R 1.5x4 Firedot on an AR-15 that I really enjoy. I agree, markings for wind holds is what has peaked my interest on the Zeiss V4 and the Trijicon Credo HX. I can't find much information about the Credo HX, much less comparisons to the V4 or the VX-5HD.

OP
C
Anyone have experience with these three scopes? Most interested in how the Credo HX matches up to the VX-5HD or the Zeiss V4.

rjschill

FNG
I got a Zeiss V4 4-16x50 with exposed wind age this spring. I got it from Red Hawk Rifles as a used/demo and it looked new to me. With their prices I think the scope is hard to beat in that class.

So far it’s been great. The glass is superb. I’ve only dialed it 500 and back during shooting sessions 5 times but it has returned to zero so far.

The only negatives are the focus and zoom are pretty hard to turn at first. They work fine but trying to adjust zoom and stay on target can be difficult. The eye box can be a little tight at max magnification but I think that is common on most scopes.

OP
C
I got a Zeiss V4 4-16x50 with exposed wind age this spring. I got it from Red Hawk Rifles as a used/demo and it looked new to me. With their prices I think the scope is hard to beat in that class.

So far it’s been great. The glass is superb. I’ve only dialed it 500 and back during shooting sessions 5 times but it has returned to zero so far.

The only negatives are the focus and zoom are pretty hard to turn at first. They work fine but trying to adjust zoom and stay on target can be difficult. The eye box can be a little tight at max magnification but I think that is common on most scopes.
Which reticle did you get?

rjschill

FNG
ZMOA-T30

I like it, but my only comparison is to a duplex. The dots are almost impossible for me to see if I was trying to use them for holds. The center crosshairs are great and easy to see but fine enough for precise aiming.

I forgot one thing. The illumination can kind of wash out the reticle at max magnification and low light. That’s not the right term to describe it but you can see red coming from the sides. It’s not a big deal to me but just thought I’d let you know.

kickemall

WKR
I've owned two Leupold VX 5s and currently have a Zeiss V4. I'd say its a wash as to which one is better. If you look you can find failures for both of them and also find people who have beat the crap out of them with no failures. My experience is that I trust Zeiss slightly more. Any reason you don't have the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 in there? Its right at the same price as the Zeiss and a little lighter and has the best warranty of the bunch. And yes, you'll find many people say with Leupold and Vortex the warranty needs to be good because you'll need it. I also have an LHT and through 100 rounds and no abuse it has been fine but time will tell.

OP
C
ZMOA-T30

I like it, but my only comparison is to a duplex. The dots are almost impossible for me to see if I was trying to use them for holds. The center crosshairs are great and easy to see but fine enough for precise aiming.

I forgot one thing. The illumination can kind of wash out the reticle at max magnification and low light. That’s not the right term to describe it but you can see red coming from the sides. It’s not a big deal to me but just thought I’d let you know.
Can you expand on that last point a bit more? When it “washes out” are you at max or minimum brightness setting? I would think at minimum brightness that shouldn’t be an issue.

By “wash out” I gather you are saying the red illumination bleeds out beyond the center cross hairs?

OP
C
I've owned two Leupold VX 5s and currently have a Zeiss V4. I'd say its a wash as to which one is better. If you look you can find failures for both of them and also find people who have beat the crap out of them with no failures. My experience is that I trust Zeiss slightly more. Any reason you don't have the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 in there? Its right at the same price as the Zeiss and a little lighter and has the best warranty of the bunch. And yes, you'll find many people say with Leupold and Vortex the warranty needs to be good because you'll need it. I also have an LHT and through 100 rounds and no abuse it has been fine but time will tell.
Thanks! Which reticle do you have on the V4? If illuminated, do you experience the “wash out” mentioned above?

I hadn’t considered Vortex because of the COO. I understand the LHT models are not made in China, but the fact that other Vortex products are is a bit of a turn-off

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I will throw another scope in to consider as my usage is exactly what you described besides the eastern hunting. For ~$1000 scope with reliability and durability as a priority with the ability to reach out to 500 yards I am very happy with the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 MOAR reticle with center illumination. The turrets are capped but if you need to dial they are easy to remove for the shot, the reticle is thin for precise placement but in low light you have the option of the illumination, and 10x magnification is sufficient for 500+ yards.

Optically it might not be as bright in good light as the others but remember they are all second focal plane scopes. If you need to use the reticle for drop in a low light situation a 16x scope will have a smaller exit pupil and appear darker at max magnification than a 10x if the objective size is the same or similar. Also less magnification makes it easier to stay on the animal for a second shot.

rjschill

FNG
Can you expand on that last point a bit more? When it “washes out” are you at max or minimum brightness setting? I would think at minimum brightness that shouldn’t be an issue.

By “wash out” I gather you are saying the red illumination bleeds out beyond the center cross hairs?
Yes, I misspoke above. At maximum brightness and low light the red illumination bleeds into the numbers dots above about 6 brightness in low light.

If you are centered in the eyepiece it is minimal. While getting lined up or looking at an angle it shows up more.

There was a thread with this happening on the Vortex LHT also. This is my first scope with illumination so I’m not sure if this is a common thing or not.
BEE799FC-465A-4AD7-B566-A1B5083B88F5.jpegD1050C07-14D9-4AEC-B3FA-C37B77B6E5FD.jpeg3B1A000A-EEDD-413C-84D2-88558C3BCD9A.jpeg56205FFE-EFCD-4B54-ADC9-F9AE71F0AB62.jpeg

OP
C
Thanks for the pictures! That's the first time I've seen the ZMOA-T30 reticle outside of marketing images. It looks pretty thin.

I think this type of illumination bleed is pretty common when the illumination is too bright for the conditions. I read some posts that this is common with NF scopes as well.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks! Which reticle do you have on the V4? If illuminated, do you experience the “wash out” mentioned above?

I hadn’t considered Vortex because of the COO. I understand the LHT models are not made in China, but the fact that other Vortex products are is a bit of a turn-off
Zeiss should be off your list, then. They have outsourced parts to China for other riflescope lines and the Terra line is made there.

Leupold outsources most of their binocular lines to China save the top ones that are made in Japan.

Trijicon is the only one of the three that doesn't have anything made in China in their lineup for any product. They are pretty anti-China. All of their stuff is made in Japan, or a combo of Japan and Michigan.

I would say that none of this is really relevant, but you mention it.

Jeremy

Haven't owned the others but I'm really happy with my VX5 and the illuminated reticle has been helpful in several low light occasions, which is when I've taken most of my shots hunting. The glass really brightens the field of view in low light as well. Based on what others have said, seems like the V4 is solid too. I think you'll be happy either way.