Leupold VX5HD vs. Zeiss V4 vs. Trijicon Credo HX

found this thread at the perfect time...I've got a Leupold VX5 on my 300, but it seems the cost on them have went way up since I purchased mine about a year and a half ago (like everything else). Looking to top a 257 weatherby with a good "no frills" scope for hunting at 400 yards or less. Some of the options mentioned here are at the top of my list...great info guys

SouthFace

Lil-Rokslider
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've read dozens of threads and am hopelessly stuck on scopes.

I need some help on selecting a rifle scope. I have a Browning xbolt 30.06. Primary use is hunting whitetail deer with shots ranging from 50 yards to 300 yards. I have plans to do some western hunting in the future which would include plains antelope and Colorado elk. I anticipate both would be in the 100-400 (maybe 500) yard range. Last would be general target shooting.

My budget is $1k. Would like to stay in the 20-23oz range or less.

Durability is most important, with optical quality being a close second.

I've narrowed it down to these three scopes:

1. Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44, Firedot illuminated duplex
2. Zeiss V4 4-16x44, either the #60 Plex illuminated duplex or the ZMOA-T30 illuminated reticle
3. Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42, red MOA center dot illuminated reticle.

I was originally set on the Leupold but read enough posts to be concerned about durability, tracking, and RTZ. This has the best warranty and is lighter weight, along with USA manufacturer.

The Zeiss V4 seems like a forum favorite. A little heavier than the VX-5HD. More reticles to choose from. Seems bullet-proof. 4x low setting is a little higher than I'd prefer for very close shots (i.e. 50 yards). Warranty is not as good as the Leupold. The ZMOA-T30 reticle looks nice and only the center cross is illuminated. Optic quality appears to be a toss up with the Leupold from what I've read. Japan manufacturer.

The Trijicon has the ideal magnification range; the 2.5x low setting is very intriguing and would be awesome for close shots, without giving up the upper magnification! Very appealing. The entire reticle is illuminated, which I think looks a little busy. It is heavier than the Leupold, but not by much. Not much info online about optic quality, tracking, etc., so it is difficult to compare to the VX-5HD and the V4. Warranty is similar to V4. Japan manufacturer.

The price difference for me between the three is about $100, so cost is not a factor.

Okay, Rokslide brain-trust, if you were buying a new scope for my use and cost is not a factor, which of these three scopes would it be?
Nod to the Leupold VX5 HD. I have two of them on my main two rifles. No doubt best bang for the buck.

lsummey

FNG
I own both the VX5 HDs and Zeiss Conquest V4. The Leupold glass has better low light coatings IMO. I have compared the 2 side by side right up until dark. The Leupold beats the Conquest by a hair but the Conquest will absolutely allow shooting in the lowest light. The Conquest has better clicks when turning turret. Reliability is great with both. I am a member of a long range club and I’ve had no problem twisting turrets with either.

Also I think the edge to edge sharpness is better with the Leupold. The Conquest has great glass but there is slight sharpness fall off at the edges.
I'm just the opposite to me the Zeiss sharpness is much better to the edges... LOL Just my opinion. Both Scopes are AWESOME!!!