Leupold VX5HD vs. Zeiss V4 vs. Trijicon Credo HX

OP
C
Zeiss should be off your list, then. They have outsourced parts to China for other riflescope lines and the Terra line is made there.

Leupold outsources most of their binocular lines to China save the top ones that are made in Japan.

Trijicon is the only one of the three that doesn't have anything made in China in their lineup for any product. They are pretty anti-China. All of their stuff is made in Japan, or a combo of Japan and Michigan.

I would say that none of this is really relevant, but you mention it.

Jeremy
Thanks for this information. It is relevant to me. I wasn't aware of that and it is disappointing to learn.

Perhaps one distinction is that, as I understand it, the majority of Vortex's line is made in China, with only a few select products being made elsewhere.

The Credo HX seems to check a bunch of boxes. I just can't figure out why it doesn't seem very popular. There is very little first-hand information about it online.

I may just have to buy one of each and compare.

AJRICH

FNG
They both seem like great scopes. I recently checked out the vx5 3-15 and vx4 4-16 at scheels. We took them outside and to my eyes I couldn't tell a difference in the glass. I did prefer the turret on the vx5. I will be going with the htmr vx5 once its available again.

OP
C
They both seem like great scopes. I recently checked out the vx5 3-15 and vx4 4-16 at scheels. We took them outside and to my eyes I couldn't tell a difference in the glass. I did prefer the turret on the vx5. I will be going with the htmr vx5 once its available again.
Very helpful comparison--thank you. What did you like better about the turret on the VX5? Which reticle were you viewing on the Zeiss V4 (and thoughts on the same)?

AJRICH

FNG
Very helpful comparison--thank you. What did you like better about the turret on the VX5? Which reticle were you viewing on the Zeiss V4 (and thoughts on the same)?
I liked the smaller size of it, the clicks felt more positive and also the lock.

kickemall

WKR
Thanks! Which reticle do you have on the V4? If illuminated, do you experience the “wash out” mentioned above?

I hadn’t considered Vortex because of the COO. I understand the LHT models are not made in China, but the fact that other Vortex products are is a bit of a turn-off
Sorry for the very slow response. I have the ZMOA-T30 illuminated. You can wash it out if you turn the illumination up too high but if you adjust it your fine. I do like the locking windage turret on the Zeiss much better than the capped on the Vortex. I wish that I could get the Zeiss in mils, which is why I decided to try the Vortex and like I said earlier, I trust Zeiss much more than Vortex.

I personally wouldn’t have any hesitation with putting either the V4 or the VX-5 on a 30-06 for the hunting applications you’ve described. Don’t have any direct experience with Trijicon so really cannot comment there. Currently running VX6HDs on my main hunting rigs - relatively light, rugged, and so far no tracking or other issues. So far they appear very well made and durable. But as with any complex device with moving parts someone will always be able to point to a failure with some individual samples. Used to use Swarovski, love their designs but have experienced both internal fogging and loss of zero and no longer trust their durability.

Would recommend dismissing all inferences drawn about place of manufacture. Noticed a significant uptick in the number and frequency of place/source of manufacturer claims both here and all over the internet over the past few years. Although rarely confirmed or examined in-depth, these claims are often stated and repeated with deep conviction, and all manner of inferences about product performance and quality drawn from them. However, many, if not most, are over-simplified, inaccurate or exaggerated. Fact is most complex optical devices involve materials, components, sub-assemblies, etc, from multiple sources. For example, many optics manufactures tout “Schott Glass“ and heavily market that in their product advertising. However, Schott began manufacturing optical glass outside Germany as early as 1967. Today, Schott glass is made in over 30 countries, and when glass is ordered Schott will source it based on the specified grade and performance characteristics. But the highly touted “Schott HT” glass used in someone’s favorite binocular or scope could just as easily be coming from a Schott plant in China or Indonesia as from Germany or Austria. But that glass is made to the same Schott-controlled manufacturing process and performance specifications regardless of where it is coming from. Also, folks love to throw around OEM names like LOW & Kamakura. But it is naive to think those OEM manufacturers are not also using worldwide sourcing. That‘s just reality in today’s global economy.

Point is - we would all be better served by drawing conclusions via actual direct comparison and field performance rather than speculation about where they are made.

Well I know this doesn’t answer your question but if it helps, I have a V4 on my long bomber and I have 3 VX6 HDs on my other rifles and love them also, but I was pretty impressed with the V4 for the money spent and would definitely buy another.

I just purchased a Trigicon Credo HX 1-6x24 with the BDC Recticle. I could not be happier, excellent scope. For your hunting needs, 50 to 400 yards this would be an excellent scope…. Trigicon, the US Marines might be on to something…….

ScottinPA

WKR
Following cuz I'm debating the VX5HD and Zeiss V4 too. Rifle currently has a Vari-X3 2.5-8x36 and has served me well so either is an upgrade. Looking for a little more magnification and brightness.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat with the same optics. I can’t decide between the v4 or credo HX/ accupoint.

I wanted the zmoai but seems to be sold out everywhere but I found t30. The credo’s reticle seems to be similar to the t30.

I plan to shoot the same distances as you and hunt literally the same game/area, I’m in Colorado.

I was also looking at meopta but there most magnification in the scope I wanted was only x12 and want a little more.

I own both the VX5 HDs and Zeiss Conquest V4. The Leupold glass has better low light coatings IMO. I have compared the 2 side by side right up until dark. The Leupold beats the Conquest by a hair but the Conquest will absolutely allow shooting in the lowest light. The Conquest has better clicks when turning turret. Reliability is great with both. I am a member of a long range club and I’ve had no problem twisting turrets with either.

Also I think the edge to edge sharpness is better with the Leupold. The Conquest has great glass but there is slight sharpness fall off at the edges.

Honyock

WKR
I have the Conquest V4 4-16X50 with the #68 ZBi Illuminated reticle and I have zero complaints. IMHO the illuminated reticle is very nice in low light conditions. Red Hawke Rifles and Europtics have some good deals on "demo" Zeiss scopes. I've bought from both and what they sent me was new and appeared to be never out of the box.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Conquest V4 4-16X50 with the #68 ZBi Illuminated reticle and I have zero complaints. IMHO the illuminated reticle is very nice in low light conditions. Red Hawke Rifles and Europtics have some good deals on "demo" Zeiss scopes. I've bought from both and what they sent me was new and appeared to be never out of the box.
You think the x16 is too much for mid range hunting? I like the zeiss but wish they had a 2-12. How do you like that reticle? I was going to get the t30 or zmoai for simplicity and didn’t know if the thin smaller stand alone crosshair was hard to pick up.

Honyock

WKR
You think the x16 is too much for mid range hunting? I like the zeiss but wish they had a 2-12. How do you like that reticle? I was going to get the t30 or zmoai for simplicity and didn’t know if the thin smaller stand alone crosshair was hard to pick up.
Not at all, just don't dial it up as much. I really like the V4 and the ZBi reticle. I don't really notice the Christmas tree when aiming. Something about that small red cross in the middle gets me locked in on target, especially in low light. I actually used the Christmas tree to try to size up black bears in Arizona. Lots of critters got taken out with 4 power fixed scopes.

i have a Credo HX 4-16x50 and its brighter than my Z5 3.5-18x44 Swaro
I'd like to hear more about your Creedo 4-16
I'm thinking seriously about this scope.
Overall what do you think about the glass?
Is the eye box forgiving at high magnification or do you fight tunneling?
Tracking test?
Thanks