King for a day... Hunting Laws you wished existed, or didn’t exist.

OP
B
Man, I didn’t expect to get jumped on for that. It is one thing to limit the free market for sake of keeping the game around, such as the mass slaughters and sale of buffalo (bison bison). I am all for public land, conservation, etc, but you have to draw a line somewhere. I think limiting guide services, e-scouting, and other services that legally and ethically help hunter success is a definite no from me. We have a great conservation model in place, and a lot of the agencies are doing a great job with the management of said species. If these guide services, e-scouting, etc. do not help people shoot more than is legally allowed, what is the issue? I could play devils advocate and say that advancing technology shouldn’t be allowed either, as it is a product of the free market, so let’s all grab some rocks and sticks and try to take down a deer. I agree with you that there is a place for regulation, but legal and ethical, and most importantly sustainable, methods to improve your hunt for the most part shouldn’t be regulated because some people are upset that OnX and Gohunt is helping others find places to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Some of the stuff mentioned in this thread goes way too far the other direction...

I don’t think eliminating guide or pack our services is a good idea. Limiting them and giving the DIY guy better opportunity, at least for part of the season? Sure.

But I could imagine some hunts where I’d absolutely want to have a guide. I also have nothing against pack out services... None of us are getting any younger, I hope I’m still hunting well into my 70s, and I doubt I’ll be packing out 100lb loads at that age. It would suck to not be able to hunt because of some obscure law like that.

Bottom line this county has had a long tradition of managing game so the average guy gets an opportunity. I think that’s a great thing. Obviously there is a balance in there somewhere. Think if primo elk tags just went for their “market” price and there wasn’t a draw? 5, 10, 15k for a non resident tag in a premier district. Most of us would get completely priced out of the game.

Agreed. Some of the stuff mentioned in this thread goes way too far the other direction...

I don’t think eliminating guide or pack our services is a good idea. Limiting them and giving the DIY guy better opportunity, at least for part of the season? Sure.

But I could imagine some hunts where I’d absolutely want to have a guide. I also have nothing against pack out services... None of us are getting any younger, I hope I’m still hunting well into my 70s, and I doubt I’ll be packing out 100lb loads at that age. It would suck to not be able to hunt because of some obscure law like that.

Bottom line this county has had a long tradition of managing game so the average guy gets an opportunity. I think that’s a great thing. Obviously there is a balance in there somewhere. Think if primo elk tags just went for their “market” price and there wasn’t a draw? 5, 10, 15k for a non resident tag in a premier district. Most of us would get completely priced out of the game.

Totally understand on the market price for the tags, I think those should be set at a rate that is both productive for hunters and game and fish agencies. I’m not sure what the solution for some of the guide limitations might be, perhaps a situation like Wyoming so that non residents without guides can hunt wilderness? I think it would likely have to come down to regional instances such as that. Our conservation model in America is great as you said, I guess my original point was to avoid restrictions on the market as long as there are no repercussions to conservation. Glad we can have a solid convo on this

Poser

WKR
Grandfather point holders in over time and transition to Straight lottery draws for all non OTC tags across the Western states with appropriate allotments for Residents.

Increased protection for wintering grounds and migration corridors.

Toss CO’s reg about having evidence of sex attached to a piece of meat.

All blue laws eliminated.

mlob1one

WKR
Aside from others mentioned, bears, and mtn lion pursuit by houndsmen to allow for better management of these hungry predators. Especially in CA, OR, & WA.

Bring back Spring bear in CO (& allow houndsmen).

Why is common sense so uncommon these days?!?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
What do you guys think of landowner tags for sale? Specifically the ones that allow you to hunt all of the unit.

They're convenient when your name is on the voucher.
But when farmer Joe is awarded 10 tags from a program that was originally intended to help ease the strains wildlife puts on a farmers crops or ranchers feed supply and hunt 30 or 40 miles away it really defeats the intended purpose.
Those have turned into a rich mans game. It's legal by state law and people are always willing to take more money for something they're selling.
Do people in this program still qualify for depredation permits, even if all their allocated tags were issued to them and used off their property?
If so I would put a stop to that real quick.

OP
B
Grandfather point holders in over time and transition to Straight lottery draws for all non OTC tags across the Western states with appropriate allotments for Residents.

Increased protection for wintering grounds and migration corridors.

All blue laws eliminated.

Yeah the evidence of sex thing definitely needs to go. I could see needing evidence of sex, a gonad, udder, or horns with the meat, but you shouldn’t be breaking the law because you were a little to quick with the skinning knife.

As others have said, mandatory reporting. My mind was blown when I went to Montana the first year. After painstakingly going through the regs that we’re way more complicated than anything I’d ever dealt with out east, there was no reporting or game check requirement!? I had to call FW&P to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

TheCougar

WKR
Wildlife management through science, not ballots. End the Wyoming wilderness rule. Allow corner hopping. Delete Instagram. Random draws for every state. Replace the entire Utah legislature with honest folk. Minimum of one mandatory public easement for all landlocked public lands. Also, that I draw a sheep tag before I turn 65. Just one, I’m not greedy. Hold a giant save the wolves and bears rally in Jackson Hole, then release wolves and bears into the convention center and lock the doors.

+1 for Akwoodchuck's suggestion of mandatory service. Getting tired of 75% of the beer cans in the back of my truck being ones that I pick up and not ones that I'm putting back there haha.
I'm unfamiliar with the CO laws concerning evidence of sex Poser. What is your objection to it?

FLAK

WKR
Nonresident quotas/tag prices suck!!!

And, here in Alabama on WMA deer hunts you have to "check in" every freaking morning. Like a child asking if its ok to go hunting.

FLAK

WKR
Nonresident quotas/tag prices suck!!!

And, here in Alabama on WMA deer hunts you have to "check in" every freaking morning. Like a child asking if its ok to go hunting.

Poser

WKR
+1 for Akwoodchuck's suggestion of mandatory service. Getting tired of 75% of the beer cans in the back of my truck being ones that I pick up and not ones that I'm putting back there haha.

I'm unfamiliar with the CO laws concerning evidence of sex Poser. What is your objection to it?

You are supposed to keep the sex organs attached to a piece of meat of significance.

-its just an unnecessary pain in the ass. You can work around it a bit and keep a single, skinned out testical attached to a section of muscle, but it takes some thought and planning to execute.

Same season for wolves in each state as coyotes. Allow the use of blood trailing dogs to aid recovery of downed game. No 5 year waiting period for Utah limited entry elk after a successful draw. Legal to pack a Rifle\shotgun while bow hunting in grizz country.

MattB

WKR
I’m about as much of a small government guy as you can get, but hunting and likewise conservation is one of those weird areas where we HAVE to have government intervention to protect the interest of the many.

If everything was free market we would have almost no public land, “game” wouldn’t be managed by the state but rather be on high fence “pay to play” ranches, and your success would be dictated by your pocketbook and not much else. Hunting as we know it would cease to exist, and whatever “hunting” that did would suck and be limited to the very wealthy. That is if all the game wasn’t wiped out by market hunting in the first place.;)

Aldo Leopold (correctly) noted that for the NA wildlife model to be successful there needs to be a profit incentive associated with wildlife. The notion that we need government intervention (e.g. game management/regulations) shouldn't be conflated with limitations on outfitters operating within those regulations.

cgasner1

WKR
My Montana dream is pick your weapon per species no more 3 months of hunting knock rifle season back to a month give a week break then have a muzzy season move the youth hunt to the off week instead of before season opens make the few archery tags we have General for residents again and make all the non residents apply by region instead of giving them access to 80% of the ground we can hunt time to manage for the game not everyone getting to kill a forky

Azone

WKR
Another one I would like to add, is a limited number of non tag holders outside of family are allowed to accompany a tag holder. The 10 guys with spotting scopes and radios checking every bowl/basin/canyon junk then calling the tag holder over to shoot crap needs to stop. This practice brings way more people out on the mountain pressuring animals and getting in peoples way.
This needs to apply to outfitters also, sorry Mossback.