Kifaru Wind River jacket review ***Updated 5/21/23***

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gents -the good folks at Rokslide (and Kifaru) have supplied me with a Wind River jacket. This is a wind jacket, what I've always referred to a windshirt. I'm a big proponent of windshirts- for the weight they are far and away the most versatile piece of clothing made imho.

What I'm looking for in a windshirt is wind resistance balanced with the ability to breathe (too much wind resistance usually results in a garment that won't breathe, too little and wind chills you quickly). I'm also looking for the ability to fend off light precipitation and light weight as well.

I received mine yesterday. Mine is a size Large and it fits just right (I'm 5'11" 180 lbs for reference).

It's only offered in one color (Ranger Green), but definitely a hunter friendly color.

It is very lightweight, mine weighs 4.4 oz- that's pretty svelte!

Full zipper. The hood, cuffs and hem have elastic to keep everything in place and weather out. One slash pocket that closes with velcro which also serves to pack the jacket into a very small form.

Look forward to putting it through it's paces in the upcoming weeks :)

Mike

***Update 5/21/23*** Kifaru Wind River Jacket Review

@robby denning @realunlucky @Brock A

JEAiqUt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine showed up as well. I will be honest, I have never thought about needing a piece of gear like this one. I have always just thrown on my rain coat if I needed a wind break, however, at 4oz, this is a handy piece. I've seen folks in the ultra marathon crowd run something similar but never thought it would apply to hunting. My first thought is upland hunting in the late season. I don't like big bulky clothing as its impedes my shooting and I get way too hot after a couple miles of hunting. This last December, South Dakota had a BITTER wind chill and the temp was around 0 degrees al day. This would have been really nice.

I will chime in as the training/hunting season progresses and give me thoughts.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Wind shirts are great for upland hunting. I can wear one and be warm but not bulked up with a bunch of layers. I wore one a lot the last 2 seasons, including several single digit mornings.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it essentially a Patagonia Houdini jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's roughly the same weight; how well it performs I don't know.

The Wind River is supposed to be 30d fabric, if so, I'd expect it to be more durable than the Houdini.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I picked up a wind shirt after reading something you wrote a few years ago. It’s now always with me, from Nevada in August to Montana in December. Great layering piece and weighs nothing, thanks for the tip!

WoodBow

WKR
I currently use a houdini and find it to be a very useful piece of gear. I am interested in how the kifaru one does. Not the biggest fan of colors available for the houdini.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

MADGRZ

FNG
Looking forward to your in depth review. Hoping you'll have another hardcore test like the breathability test via soaked base layers!

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey mtwarden. How’s the testing going? Curious how the performance is compared to the other wind layers you have used.
Thanks. -Rufus

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the wind river yesterday turkey hunting. It was breezy before the sun came up and made a perfect pairing with just a sweat shirt. When the sun came up and warmed, I just stuffed it in my pants cargo pocket.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far so good for me. Just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip in Arizona and wore it every day (usually morning and evening).

For 4.5 oz it really block the wind, it's probably a little less breathable than my Black Diamond Alpine Start, but still decently breathable.

The light weight and the fact that you can stuff it in a cargo pocket when not needed is pretty nice :D