Kifaru Wind River jacket review ***Updated 5/21/23***

Is the sizing similar to the LPP? I wear a large in the parka and it fits me just right so I’m assuming the same size would be good for the wind shirt. I’m 220 and 6’1 but like my gear a little snugger than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've not tried the LPP, but I would say their large in the Wind River is what I would call normal based the number of different jackets I've used.

I'm 180-ish, 5'11" and almost always wear a Large, once in a great while I have to size up to an XL, but rarely down to a Medium.

My Wind River fits well over a base layer, but also no problem with a base layer & a mid-layer. Over a big puffy, might be a smidge tight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered the same size I do in everything and thought the windriver fit like I thought a jacket should.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the sizing similar to the LPP? I wear a large in the parka and it fits me just right so I’m assuming the same size would be good for the wind shirt. I’m 220 and 6’1 but like my gear a little snugger than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the LPP, and this jacket, IMO is slightly smaller fitting than the LPP. If I wear a sweatshirt under the Wind River, its about maxed out. The LPP I can easily have heavy mid layer on underneath with plenty of room. I am a size Large on both. I am 5'11" and 200lbs. My LPP is also old. I got it back in 2015 so not sure how its changed since then.

JohnnyB

WKR
I realize that this is not meant to be a rain jacket but I am wondering if you have had a chance to wear this in any amount of precipitation? Does it wet out immediately or is it good for a light shower?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It'll wet out in short order but it dries quickly once the rain quits.

agreed; it doesn't have a DWR but the tight weave/calendared fabric will hold off light precip pretty decently

I have some spray on DWR that I retreat other layers with, going to give that shot- my guess is precip resistance will increase

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Gents -the good folks at Rokslide (and Kifaru) have supplied me with a Wind River jacket. This is a wind jacket, what I've always referred to a windshirt. I'm a big proponent of windshirts- for the weight they are far and away the most versatile piece of clothing made imho.

What I'm looking for in a windshirt is wind resistance balanced with the ability to breathe (too much wind resistance usually results in a garment that won't breathe, too little and wind chills you quickly). I'm also looking for the ability to fend off light precipitation and light weight as well.

I received mine yesterday. Mine is a size Large and it fits just right (I'm 5'11" 180 lbs for reference).

It's only offered in one color (Ranger Green), but definitely a hunter friendly color.

It is very lightweight, mine weighs 4.4 oz- that's pretty svelte!

Full zipper. The hood, cuffs and hem have elastic to keep everything in place and weather out. One slash pocket that closes with velcro which also serves to pack the jacket into a very small form.

Look forward to putting it through it's paces in the upcoming weeks :)

Mike

@robby denning @realunlucky @Brock A

JEAiqUt.jpg
Hi, Thanks for your post. Just one question do the material finish have a "shine" off it

Many thanks
Glendine.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Just received mine in the mail. I used the Treitch discount code for 15% off. Looks like good quality (not surprised). Looking forward to trying it out in Idaho in a few weeks.
I ordered one too, it is in the post and I hope I have the same impressions!

I bought one.
Have only used it once.
Honestly I don't think it did much of anything.
I'll give it one more try but its probably going in the classifieds.