Is CWD Politically Generated ?

Yarak

WKR
In my experience anything that merits a study that requires a grant for DCNR will eventually get politicized if it’s a big enough cash cow for them

I'm not savvy enough to post a link, but a quick Google will turn up more than a person could read in a day. I believe it was squirrel monkeys and some other kind of monkey that were used in the test because they are genetically similar to humans. Like anything CWD including this thread, there are arguments as to the validity, however from what I've seen the people that seem to be working the hardest to dispute are the ones in "the industry". I believe the research came from Canada & German research
the canadian study never got published, couldnt pass peer review or replication.

WKR
I've had guys drop off fat looking forkhorns that needed skulls cleaned who called me back and said the deer tested positive. Without literally testing every deer you shoot, you'll be exposed to cwd.

Yea the stupidity is off the charts at this point.
CWD is real, just is EHD/BT, antrax, brain abscesses, arterial worms etc

Scrapie’s is well studied, we will be alright.

The highest concentrations of population decline are #1 winter/drought kills, #2 Hemorrhagic and #3 antrax.

scrapies/cwd takes to long to manifest to have serious population declines, on top of that just like sheep, deer and elk are starting to show genetic resilience against it.

this isnt the end of the world. If it was there wouldnt be 40 years worth of documented herd studies that shouldnt still be on going.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I’m guessing no one here would want to eat one though that’s showing definite signs or tests positive regardless of potential to jump to people

Most people would not eat a deer that looked like that regardless if it had CWD or not. Even if it tested clean of CWD I still wouldn't eat it.

However how many people test fat healthy looking deer?

Stalker69

WKR
What makes you think it is politically generated? What political agenda is being perused? What are your points to support that theory?
Well think of it this way. If it does cross over to humans, it will pretty much eliminate hunting ( for food). If no hunting, not so much need for weapons ( guns). Or a much stronger case for them to limit weapons. But I'm sure financial loss without hunting would severely hurt most states economies, reason not to test humans for cwd. Double edged sword kinda thing. I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.

Coldtrail

WKR
From Sept 2022 for anyone interested, I believe there is a similar study out of Germany with the same result...this is the study that the US researchers are questioning the data-disclaimer: I'm not implying anything as to it's accuracy, and know nothing about the source(s), just an interesting read on the topic at hand if you follow studies regarding what you eat. That being said I find it funny that some of the discussion on this thread is regarding how poorly conducted and politically motivated the US CWD research is and yet posters on this forum are citing that same US research to discredit this study.....can't make that up.

https://vet.ucalgary.ca/news/chronic-wasting-disease-may-transmit-humans-research-finds

From Sept 2022 for anyone interested, I believe there is a similar study out of Germany with the same result...this is the study that the US researchers are questioning the data-disclaimer: I'm not implying anything as to it's accuracy, and know nothing about the source(s), just an interesting read on the topic at hand if you follow studies regarding what you eat. That being said I find it funny that some of the discussion on this thread is regarding how poorly conducted and politically motivated the US CWD research is and yet posters on this forum are citing that same US research to discredit this study.....can't make that up.

https://vet.ucalgary.ca/news/chronic-wasting-disease-may-transmit-humans-research-finds
I have nothing to back it up, and very well could be completely off base, but after clicking on that link, if it came out later that that study was subtly manipulated to put out bad news for hunters/hunting, my level of shock would be 0.

I’d feel differently if Jim Heffelfinger did the study.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have nothing to back it up, and very well could be completely off base, but after clicking on that link, if it came out later that that study was subtly manipulated to put out bad news for hunters/hunting, my level of shock would be 0.

What if CWD was created to take out hunters….the possibilities are endless;-)

Coldtrail

WKR

I suspect there could be some motivation on both sides to skew the data for someone else's gain so I am not hanging my hat on any one source or stance, but the one common thing I see is that as far as I can tell nobody has really put their head above the wall to say that "Everything is fine, there is NO chance of transmission to humans, go ahead and enjoy your venison, don't even bother to get it tested because there is zero concern". I know a few in the medical field that hunt and understand how prions work & refuse to eat a healthy looking deer without getting a disease free test result. That carries a little more weight with me .

I suspect there could be some motivation on both sides to skew the data for someone else's gain so I am not hanging my hat on any one source or stance, but the one common thing I see is that as far as I can tell nobody has really put their head above the wall to say that "Everything is fine, there is NO chance of transmission to humans, go ahead and enjoy your venison, don't even bother to get it tested because there is zero concern". I know a few in the medical field that hunt and understand how prions work & refuse to eat a healthy looking deer without getting a disease free test result. That carries a little more weight with me .
To be fair, I’m with your medical buddies. It’s not worth the risk.

This is the last year I’ll be using a processor here in Ohio now that CWD is here in parts of the state.

7Bartman

WKR
What if CWD was created to take out hunters….the possibilities are endless;-)
You do realize that numerous prion diseases (CJD, Kuru) existed way before we even knew of CWD. Fortunately, our prion protein isn't highly conserved and differs enough that we don't likely have to worry about CWD (and no I wouldn't eat a CWD+ deer/elk). I think that if we have CWD crossover (e.g., like mad-cow) then we would see human cases. That being said a mutation event here or there and that can all change.

Last edited:

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
You do realize that numerous prion diseases (CJD, Kuru) existed way before we even knew of CWD. Fortunately, our prion protein isn't highly conserved and differs enough that we don't likely have to worry about CWD (and no I wouldn't eat a CWD+ deer/elk). I think that if we have CWD crossover (e.g., like mad-cow) then we would see human cases. That being said a mutation even here or there and that can all change.
I was being sarcastic….

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If CWD is politically generated, then so is winter kill.

My bad, people are so ridiculous with the conspiracy stuff these days it's actually hard to decipher anymore.
Very true, then people like me throw fuel on the fire, hoping the contrast will make it burn lower, but I'm starting to think too many minds will just turn it into more fuel and add it to the roster of beliefs.

Well think of it this way. If it does cross over to humans, it will pretty much eliminate hunting ( for food). If no hunting, not so much need for weapons ( guns). Or a much stronger case for them to limit weapons. But I'm sure financial loss without hunting would severely hurt most states economies, reason not to test humans for cwd. Double edged sword kinda thing. I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.
I spose..

...but hunting is not listed anywhere as a prerequisite for firearms...

Actually, I don't have a #1 prerequisite, I have a solid #2 reason for firearm ownership, and as I recall, it's for pests and predators, both of which have no bag limit or seasonal deadlines..