How to get into diy western hunting

OP
J
I guess I worded it wrong, what are some tips to cut some costs on a trip without sacrificing the whole thing. (i’m a college student if that answers the finances question, I have a good bit saved up though)

Taudisio

WKR
I guess I worded it wrong, what are some tips to cut some costs on a trip without sacrificing the whole thing. (i’m a college student if that answers the finances question, I have a good bit saved up though)
Housing can be your highest expense. Then the tag/gas are close to the same price IME. You can’t lower the tag price, but the gas you can split with another person and/or find a spot to park and hike out from there and don’t road hunt like 99% of people. I wouldn’t be so selective with the size of the horns the first few trips until you have a good handle on the area and class of animals you see.

elkliver

WKR
The easiest and cheapest option to get your feet wet and be successful is probably Wyoming antelope.

UpTop

WKR
One thing to possibly consider would be to just plan a few days to come out to an area that interests you and do a backpacking/camping trip. Maybe pick up a small game license and hunt a little. See if the whole thing is something you really want to invest the amount of time and money into. A lot less pressure that way and a lot less money.

ndbuck09

WKR
As a college kid from South Carolina, I honestly think the cheapest way you can start into western hunting is to do a summer 4-5 day backpacking trip somewhere. This will force you to get the gear needed, which is a direct overlap for hunting. Also you won't have to worry about $8-900 tag and you'll get an immense level of experience under your belt by just being out in the backcountry for 4 days, which will teach you where your gear is deficient, what you need to do better, teach you about mountain travel, teach you about the mental aspect of the backcountry, physical aspect. Also teach you about national forest lands, nf roads, trails. Teach you about the correlation between looking at a map and real life.

Take a year and just plan to get out west and get into the backcountry without spending/wasting any money on a tag. There's so much support stuff to learn before actually trying to fill a tag. Even if you wanted to do more of a basecamp hunting style, getting out west to basecamp and then cover ground each day is going to teach you a ton without the pressure of that expensive tag in your pocket.

I guess I worded it wrong, what are some tips to cut some costs ..... (I have a good bit saved up though)

If you have "a good bit" already saved up, then you can probably afford just about any Western DIY elk, deer, antelope or bear hunt. It doesn't take much to do it on your own, money-wise. A couple thousand and you're off and running .....

def90

WKR
hello, apologies in advance because I know that this topic has been covered multiple times, but I feel like I should make my own specific to my own conditions. I currently live in South Carolina and a grown-up hunting here whitetail here. I am wondering how to get in to Western big game hunting on a fairly low budget and DIY I’m looking for something that is “easy” (I know nothing is easy) and doesn’t cost a fortune. Any western state or maybe even Midwestern state is up for debate but I’m partial to mule deer, elk, and antelope but am open to anything in any state. It also doesn’t matter whether it’s archery, muzzleloader or rifle- Any suggestions?

Whats your idea of "cheap"? You will not get non resident tags anywhere that anyone would consider cheap.

WCB

WKR
figure out where or what you want to hunt would be #1. Then realize that you probably have all the dear you need unless you are dong backpack style hunting. Then grab your weapon, knife, boots and get to hunting. Again, unless you are backpack hunting you don't need any more gear than what joe blow weekend deer hunter does as that is literally the largest percentage of guys heading west every year. But for some reason they are convinced they need matching Sitka outfits with their buddies, giant packs, custom rifles, and $10,000 worth other junk.

I wouldn't waste money on coming out and just hiking around to see if you like it or small game hunting (unless you want to do it this year as most tags are no longer available). Life is too short to half ass it and kind of stick a toe in. Just buy a tag and go.

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
Black bears are probably the cheapest and most accessible. And as a bonus you can do it in the spring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If you're a college student then look for a job out west when you are getting ready to graduate. That would be the only way to be able to consistently go on the cheap. I live in Oklahoma so it's not crazy far to Colorado or New Mexico and I still have to be intentional with my time and money to get out west yearly. It only gets harder once you get tied down to a job with a family.

Whitty

FNG
I live in upstate SC and have hunted DIY out west for 6 years or so...all my tips basically come back to research. I've gone solo, with two, and with three and clearly more people can split the fuel but solo can be done on the "cheap" as well. Use Gasbuddy maps to find the best prices on fuel before you leave and make a list of cities/exits to stop.
Budget for at least 1 hotel room as it's a treat especially on the way back...sometimes 5-10 miles can save $50/night so figure out where to stop ahead of time.
Research can get you tags almost yearly if you don't have trophy expectations.
I bought a used camper topper for cheap and built a drawer system in my truck to sleep in.
Pack a cooler with lunch meat and drinks and make a sandwich when you stop for fuel etc. Groceries are much cheaper here than out west so stock up before you go. Apples must be laced with gold out there for some reason...expensive lol.
Find places that has resources you can leverage. For example, Douglas, Wy has a park right on the river where you can camp and has a shower house. I've found a lot of towns that have free parks/campgrounds with showers. Nebraska has tons of camping spots directly along the interstate.
My first solo trip was antelope and I wore Carhartt jeans and a cheap Walmart backpack...don't think you need the latest/greatest gear unless you are hunting the late seasons.
You have at least a year to plan so start asking for fuel cards for bdays and Xmas etc.

Pdzoller

WKR
Just remember, every time you scout in Oregon the area catches on fire and you have to change plans multiple times

Watch some DIY sportsman, older thp videos, lot of other good YouTube content. Get your gear/pack, scout a few areas in Colorado otc gmus. I went by myself a few times and nearly got into some elk. Last year I saw way too many hunters and no elk though. And it's tough to go up in the mountains by yourself when you have a wife and kid. Try to find some buddies to go with you

Zdub02

WKR
Best advice I can echo is to just go. Buy a tag and gas. Splitting with a buddy helps offset that price. You have to eat anyway so cost of food is negligible, especially if truck camping. Use what camping and hunting gear you already have and just go have fun. Heading into the trip with the mindset that you're coming home with tag soup and you're just there to learn will be a great help to enjoying the experience.

Luked

WKR
Find an easy to get tag. Get in the truck and go.
Best way to do it.
Your going to learn a lot and get frustrated a lot. Its all part of it.
But getting out is the best way to learn.