Lightweight puffy jacket

tracker12

WKR
RAB MICRO Light Alpine Jacket is a great piece. I have been using one for around 6 years now. I can wear it as a outer layer or as a layer.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
EMS makes a nice one for a decent price. Been wearing mine around 2 years without issue, except for food stains. I like that it has a hood and it has more down than most i find in the stores, while being fully packable.

As much as I like to support hunting brands, they don't stack up to mountaineering brands when it comes to down gear. I'm not paying a premium for a mid- range down jacket just because it's camo.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Yes and no, mountain hardware ghost whisper puffy is 8oz. but it’s a 10d’ish or < fabric. Most hunting brands aren’t going to produce a puffy like this because durability and warranty. same stand point most mountaineering brands don’t abuse clothing like we do.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've never had a need for a heavy duty/brush busting puffy hunting in NA. My puffy comes out when I stop moving for a period of time and cool down. I think the outershell durability and "noise" factor is a non issue in most cases.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes and no, mountain hardware ghost whisper puffy is 8oz. but it’s a 10d’ish or < fabric. Most hunting brands aren’t going to produce a puffy like this because durability and warranty. same stand point most mountaineering brands don’t abuse clothing like we do.
Most of these hunting brand puffy jackets are either 15d or at most 20d. You can't go much higher without running the risk of compressing the down. The majority are the same pertex fabrics used in mountaineering brands. Laughable that you think climbers dragging their jackets and gear across granite faces and scree slopes aren't abusing their gear. Their jackets look just like ours, tape patches everywhere on them. Each hole has a story behind it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most of these hunting brand puffy jackets are either 15d or at most 20d. You can't go much higher without running the risk of compressing the down. The majority are the same pertex fabrics used in mountaineering brands. Laughable that you think climbers dragging their jackets and gear across granite faces and scree slopes aren't abusing their gear. Their jackets look just like ours, tape patches everywhere on them. Each hole has a story behind it.

When you compare most mountaneering and backpackers gear to “hunters” gear you’ll find that those guys and gals use their stuff year round. It’s hunters who baby their clothing and barely use it, not the other way around.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When you compare most mountaneering and backpackers gear to “hunters” gear you’ll find that those guys and gals use their stuff year round. It’s hunters who baby their clothing and barely use it, not the other way around.
Exactly

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kuiu Super down, I’m no mountaineering clothing expert but it works. As far as durability goes, it’s ultralight, so you sacrifice durability. The one thing I LOVE about the kuiu down is that if you throw it in the drier with tennis balls it lofts up back to factory which is huge. A few “mountaineering” pieces (not any that have been mentioned here) re loft worth a crap.
If you like to glass and move, I would really consider the Kuiu puffy vest. I have one, and pretty much wear it all day. Gives you a ton of core warmth when sitting, and does allow you to evacuate heat while hiking. I’m not Thorougly impressed with my kenai, it didn’t keep me that warm when sitting. The weight and size penalty of a full size puffy is so little, that it makes sense to just use it all year (even early sept mornings). Get a good compression sack and take it everywhere.

I’m an ex climber, I never had to climb through devils club, to get to a climbing spot, vast majority of climbers following trail to spot. Again there is a huge difference in 10d vs 20d.

I stand by what I said.