I'm sorry, but there are reasons us hunters get bad raps

16Bore

WKR
I can't say much. My first deer got hauled to the processer in the back of my parents '72 Impala station wagon.

Mom insisted the windows had to be rolled down. Ha!

xziang

WKR
I'll admit when I first started deer hunting if I got one I would use a hitch hauler to get it home via a small SUV. I might do the same thing now if I still had the SUV but would probably try and cover it with a crappy blanket. Glad I don't have worry about it now since I've got a truck.

During our rifle season I will admit I see a lot of trucks with the tailgate down when they could EASILY be closed hiding anything inside. To each their own as long as they use the meat and don't leave it ontop or in their vehicle for days letting the meat spoil.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Or, scenario #2:

This guy is voting for Clinton, so he preemptively sold all his guns. He finds this deer freshly hit by a farm truck on the side of the road, starting to get a little stiff but still warm. He and his girlfriend both agree that their families could use the meat but they didn't know the laws. The deer gets tossed in the back seat and the head sticks out due to rigor.

The car is parked at a nearby business and the driver has abandoned the vehicle because the stomach gases exterminated their airspace?

Either the above scenario is plausible or this guy is way outside (or way inside) his comfort zone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
bfa304dcfc879fbd91eae57c6902803b.jpg

If the bunny huggers can drive around with their dog hanging out the driver's window, with paw prints plastered all over the back side of their vehicles, I don't see why it would be a problem with us driving around with our animals hanging out the window. At least ours aren't going to cause an accident.

Felix40

WKR
I for one....like the guy's style. It's not a big buck but I'm betting he is damn proud of it and excited about his kill. I like seeing stuff like that. Its no different to me than putting a picture on Facebook or mounting the deer and hanging it on the wall. You want to show it off because it's a big deal to you. But what do I know. My family has only been strapping dead animals to their hoods for 50 years.

Beendare

WKR
Well of course its the middle of the road undecideds that matter.....we need to portray hunting as a noble sport....we need those folks on our side for sure.

You will never change the minds of Antis like these goof balls throwing fake blood on folks buying eggs at Costco in Ca
Armed with fake blood, animal-rights activists protest at SF Costco - SFGate
It really is cowardly what they do....as if there weren't so many witnesses around....... they get punched in the face for those antics.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
I took this picture on Saturday at a gas station just off the main highway, lots of people stop here and were looking and talking about it. My point in posting this was so we can help teach those that are new to our sport or that don't understand that our actions and choices have consequences, just or not. There are many stories of anti-hunters buying hunt tags that have a limited amount available so us hunters can't get them. They get in groups and buy land that prevents hunters from accessing public areas. I know there are laws to prevent them from doing that but it still happens. I've been to camp grounds in know there was a hunting party camping there prior and see the mess left behind, I have been to shooting areas and see old refrigerators, TV's, and garbage left behind by hunters and target shooters. I know land owners that there property covers both sides of good fishing area and they don't want people to trespass because of the disrespect for there property. That picture is just one example of some hunter that was proud of their kill and may also thought that the head hanging out one side and the feet out the other was funny. Either way our chooses and actions have consequences, just or not. I have made many poor choices and learned from them by someone teaching me a better way. We need to respect our sport, respect the game we hunt and respect the land we hunt on either public or private and teach those around us or this to will be gone. There are many programs out there for us to help with to help promote good wildlife habitat, look into these programs and take someone new and teach them on how we can be good stewards for the wildlife we enjoy.

rob_E

FNG
Nothing wrong with showing off your trophy. I used to hunt in West Texas and every Sunday on the way home we and just about every other hunter display the rack of our trophys large and small on top of coolers, 4 wheeler racks, etc... Because we are proud to be hunters.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
Only if all places where like Texas , I hunt hogs in south Texas. Wonderful people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Nothing wrong with showing off your trophy. I used to hunt in West Texas and every Sunday on the way home we and just about every other hunter display the rack of our trophys large and small on top of coolers, 4 wheeler racks, etc... Because we are proud to be hunters.

Agreed. I dunno about you guys....but every year we rubberneck it driving east to the Rockies looking at every pickup going the other direction................ looking for antlers!

hodgeman

WKR
I guess it's all about perspective... up here dead critters creatively stuffed in, strapped to, and riding on vehicles doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

I've stuffed four caribou in a minivan with the whole family, the dog and athe biggest bulls head went on the roof rack. Necessity...the mother of invention.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In a day and age when everyone seems to get offended by something, their being offended is not my problem. Should I also stop driving my diesel truck because I get nasty looks from the two women that look like men in the Subaru Forrester next to me?

In a day and age when everyone seems to get offended by something, their being offended is not my problem. Should I also stop driving my diesel truck because I get nasty looks from the two women that look like men in the Subaru Forrester next to me?

It's not about offending people, it's about the light hunters are painted by people who don't know or understand. That is your and all of our problem. As it has been stated already, we as hunters are at most 10% of the population and our future hunting opportunities are largely in the hands of urban non-hunters who are not exposed to nature and death like we are. If we give them the impression that hunters are gomers who like to kill stuff and drive around displaying that death as a form of humor, they will not understand and we will find ourselves in a worse position than we already are.

I will never argue that we need to hide what we're doing or our harvest but we need to be careful in what picture that display paints us in. I've seen a hell of a lot worse than shown in the picture and would have gotten a kick out of it too, but that doesn't make it smart.