Put Some Thought into your first aid kit

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to spark some thought by others. I had the unfortunate experience of cutting my hand to the bone while out on a quick trip this weekend. I was out testing a new shelter and stove in the cold on Thursday night. Friday morning I got up and was getting the stove ripping hot to warm up the tent and made a dumb decision leading to a deep cut that was near impossible to stop the bleed. It wasn’t so bad that I needed to use the tourniquet, but it was to the point that I was getting blood all over the place and had I been on a hunt, I would have had to leave to get some medical attention.

Luckily I was only about a mile from the truck and was able to pack up camp and make it back with no issue. I keep a more sophisticated kit in the truck as well. When I got there I pulled that bad boy out and pulled off my temporary bandages off. The cut had opened and began spilling more blood in the way bag. Rather than backcountry medic it further at the truck, I elected to go to urgent care where they gave me a few stitches. Aside from a minor episode of vasovagal syndrome after seeing my hand bones in the exam room, I was headed back home fairly quickly.

A couple things I learned or was reminded of from this experience. Especially as someone in the construction industry that actively tries to remove and mitigate injuries like this one.

1. Think out your process of using sharp objects and what protection you should have in place. Eliminate them if they’re not necessary. For instance, I did not NEED to be doing what I was doing. And if I did, there were better tools for the job and I could have put my gloves on.

2. Add roll gauze to your kit. The little gauze pads don’t really do anything.

3. Don’t be a dumb@ss.

prm

WKR
Timely. I was just rethinking my backcountry first-aid kit. I want to be able to deal with true emergencies while balancing a lightweight, small package. Cuts seem to be the likeliest injury that can also be managed with a small kit.

Naiche

FNG
Hope your cut heals fast. I just was working on getting an ifak together and this validates that.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had an accident force me to leave after packing in a bunch of water on a hunt in AZ. I jumped into some tall grass off a dead fall and landed on a large dead branch, it flipped up and smacked me upside the head like if you were to jump onto a shovel.

About knocked me out, a minute or two later I felt the blood running down my neck, had to use my phone to assess the damage and had basically split the top of my ear in half.

I had zero first aid with me! STUPID!

Had to dump out the 3 gallons of water I just specifically humped in 5 miles, pack my gear and hump it back to my Jeep where I had a "kit".

Fortunately nothing major with the ear, just more ego damage than anything.

Once home and bought a couple kits to combine things so I have a solid kit in the jeep and the packs!

Quick Clot, square guaze patches, vet wrap (think of the self adhesive sports wraps you can buy at most any department store), small bandages and minor cut cleaning antiseptic. Ibuprofine, sting/bite "stuff".

The vet wrap can work as a tourniquet if you're desperate.

OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
The Israeli bandages are cheap and weigh almost nothing. I keep one in my first aid kit.

I started packing one a few years ago. I would have put that on first, but I initially thought I had it under control. It would have performed well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Before This next season I am going to do a shakedown of my sons and grandsons packs.
They sometimes hunt without me there and I want them to be able to deal with a bad knife cut if needed.
This is a great reminder.

prm

WKR
The worst I’ve had was sticking a surgical blade in my thumb to the bone while processing an elk to pack out. I was able to manage that, but being relatively small it wasn’t too bad.

I was cutting a branch over my head and got sawdust in my eyes. Turns out the stuff growing on branches is not good for eyes. My eyes were a mess the next day. I now carry eyedrops to flush junk out.

I recently rethought my kit as well, and have broken down my first aid kit into two categories.

Category one is comfort: this is for injuries and illnesses that won’t make you go home from a hunt, but that will make the hunt uncomfortable. Stuff like leukotape, immodium, a few bandaids, etc.

Category two is make it out alive: this is for injuries that if untreated could result in death or severe harm if untreated before, I can make it back to civilization. Think stuff like severe bleeds.

In between those two categories is anything that will end a day or multiple days of hunting but won’t kill me- like a bad sprain, stomach bug, etc. I see no reason to carry treatment for those ailments aside from in my vehicle- because at that point, I’m leaving anyway, but they’re not going to kill me, at least in the time it takes me to get back to the car.

Of course, this is all very dependent on the trip. If I was in Alaska and knew I wouldn’t have help for a week or two aa much more comprehensive kit would be Needed. Likewise, if I’m just walking 100 yards to a Deerstand- probably don’t need much.

schmalzy

WKR
Hoping to spark some thought by others. I had the unfortunate experience of cutting my hand to the bone while out on a quick trip this weekend. I was out testing a new shelter and stove in the cold on Thursday night. Friday morning I got up and was getting the stove ripping hot to warm up the tent and made a dumb decision leading to a deep cut that was near impossible to stop the bleed. It wasn’t so bad that I needed to use the tourniquet, but it was to the point that I was getting blood all over the place and had I been on a hunt, I would have had to leave to get some medical attention.

Luckily I was only about a mile from the truck and was able to pack up camp and make it back with no issue. I keep a more sophisticated kit in the truck as well. When I got there I pulled that bad boy out and pulled off my temporary bandages off. The cut had opened and began spilling more blood in the way bag. Rather than backcountry medic it further at the truck, I elected to go to urgent care where they gave me a few stitches. Aside from a minor episode of vasovagal syndrome after seeing my hand bones in the exam room, I was headed back home fairly quickly.

A couple things I learned or was reminded of from this experience. Especially as someone in the construction industry that actively tries to remove and mitigate injuries like this one.

1. Think out your process of using sharp objects and what protection you should have in place. Eliminate them if they’re not necessary. For instance, I did not NEED to be doing what I was doing. And if I did, there were better tools for the job and I could have put my gloves on.

3. Don’t be a dumb@ss.

Thanks for sharing this. Been in a similar situation. I think rule #1 is absolutely spot on and extremely under mentioned. Applies to a lot more than just using sharp objects etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
This is a great reminder of actually putting thought into my backcountry med kit. Been wanting to get a kit together but been putting it off, and bear season is nit far away.

Maddog58

FNG
Quick clot for sure and know how to use it correctly. Second tourniquet placed where it can be reached immediately before you can bleed out

fwafwow

WKR

3. Don’t be a dumb@ss.
Great thread - especially #1 as a reminder. On another thread I'm working through a couple of versions of the IFAK (not the boo-boo kit) components. I found this Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/TacticalMedicine/) which may be a bit of overkill for many, but I got a lot of good practical suggestions from it.

rideold

WKR
Great reminder....and we probably all need a good one on a regular basis.

A year ago I started carrying a SWAT-T, Clotting Gauze and an OLAES bandage. Another really good thing to keep in the kit is chewable aspirin....you know, just in case someone has a heart attack. I'm a big fan of labeling everything by use/dosage because the last thing I need to do is try to wrack my tired and stressed brain. The rest of the med kit is more for convenience than anything else. I've always figured that broken or bleeding is about all I can deal with in the back country. For everything else I carry an I-Reach and the stuff between my ears.

Anyone have a link to a backcountry med kit list that they would trust? I've got a pre-made one, but I want to tailor it before September. Lots of info out there, but I'm curious to see links to ones that people have found valuable.