Long Range Lead Slinging Story on Meateater Podcast

Go to any archery shop the day before archery season and you may think differently. I can't tell you how many bows I've set up for guys who then say "So this thing is sighted in already right? I can go hunting tomorrow with it right?" Or these new Ravin and Tenpoint crossbows with the reticles from 20-100 yards. Guys think they just have to dial the scope to whatever speed the crossbow is supposed to be shooting and then they're dialed from 20-100.
Cross guns are guns so I can see that.

Why is it always the long-range guys? I know of a YTer who put an arrow into two different bulls last year at under 30 yards. He didn't find either bull.

It's important to understand that a bad shot is a bad shot, irrespective of the weapon used.
While I agree with this there’s much less margin for error at extended ranges. Bow or rifle.
Also if this “kid” is indeed a kid, his dad is also responsible.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
As a teenager I probably would have done the same. As an adult/father I would not let my 16 year old take that shot for obvious ethical reasons. I had the biggest bull of my life two archery seasons ago (360-370 type bull) at 65 yards broadside feeding no clue I was there. I had my mind set at 60 max that year and even that was pushing it. He got away. Seems a lot of hunters let them fly past their max effective range even as adults. Sad really. Meateater is the biggest sell out brand and Steve has lost all his dignity and morals a long time ago which is a major bummer.

I agree this stuff has been happening since the beginning of time and only now we have the internet to debate it. The issue I take is (and I dont listen to the podcast) is if they don’t push back or say the right thing that’s not cool. No excuse, not only did this kid unethically take a large bull he had no business “hunting” but now he’s on a podcast inflating his young ego about it for other youngsters to follow. What are we making the future generations out to be as hunters?

A couple years ago, opening morning of 1st rifle, I had a beautiful 6x6 bull at 650 yds. That’s way out of my comfortable range.

I was able to move and get within 390 yds of said bull. 400 is my absolute maximum range. I had a solid rest but the bull was moving (just walking not running) and would not stop. I elected not to shoot. Another hunter spooked him and I never got a shot.

I was 36 yrs old when that happened. Had I been 16 yrs old I would have slung lead without regret. At 36 I have zero regrets NOT shooting at the bull.

My story is really similar to that kid. At 16 years old I drew an insanely coveted tag with 3.1% odds. I was out hunting with my dad and even had a 300 win mag. I glassed up a giant buck, also on the first day, and low and behold, it was 700 yards away. I still remember looking over at my dad and (jokingly) saying we could just shoot him from where we were. Of course I didn't, but it was still a big temptation since the range finder gave the drop and all you have to do is turn the turret and just pull the trigger, but apparently that isn't even necessary. Also if I did shoot I genuinely think my dad would've taken the gun from me and hiked off the mountain with it.

My story ended with me missing that buck 5 times at 187 yards. I flat out missed, which is something we all know happens. 187 yards was definitely in my capable range, and I had practiced that far hundreds of rounds before hand. I honestly can't fathom why you would shoot 700 yards the way he did. I know back in the day people had some far holdover shots on animals, but 700 yards I think is well past the limit on what you old timers did.

I think he pulled the trigger partly because that's how he was raised and partly because of the internet culture nowadays. Obviously his dad was very encouraging when he told him to shoot again. Him and his dad don't exactly come off as the type of hunters that would be on Rokslide, and definitely don't take it as serious as guys on here. That's fine to be a casual hunter, but not to take those shots. What he did is so obviously unethical, no one is questioning it. Even the kid couldn't admit that he had never shot that far before without putting a stupid grin on his face as he looked at all the adults in the room. When you watch it on Youtube you can feel through the screen everyone in the room thinking the exact same thing. It's cringy and it sucks.

I just hate they posted it without calling the kid out for the masses to see. Maybe unethical shooting has been going on for as long as time, and I'm sure it has, but I guarantee you that when people see they can go on the most popular hunting podcast in the world, with the most influential hunter in the world, admit they started sending lead at 700 yards all in the name of a big bull, and receive exactly 0 criticism or pushback, it's going to keep on happening.

For Steve's sake I know why he didn't, I mean he's just a boy. And I really encourage you all to watch the video, the meateater crew seemed awkward when all the boy wanted to do was share an amazing hunting season with someone he looks up to. They should've just cut the segment and told the boy the honest truth in private.

I'm sick of this happening. Just this past year my neighbor took his buddies up to Wyoming and they were shooting at elk off hand at 600 yards. They lost multiple. Even my own brother fell victim and took a way too far shot on a true BOAL in a general season unit no less. He's never shot LR before. He wounded the buck and we never found it. There's a magical line between ethical and unethical shooting, and I don't know exactly where it is, but we can start somewhere. Don't take shots if you've never shot that far before. I think that's a good place to start. And you can't call people out in the wrong way, because your just beating a dead horse, which is something the internet has PLENTY of. If I went up to my brother and started berating him for taking the shot he did on that buck, he's just gonna get mad. He knows what he did. And so does that kid on the Meateater podcast. The latter just got lucky.

I've been thinking about the podcast ever since I listened to it on Monday, especially since my scenario and that kids are so similar. I'll take my close range misses over his long range luck all day, even if I don't end up on Meateater for it.

The responsibility is on the hunter for the shot they took, regardless of age. That basic competency is required to pass hunters safety. And for all of us internet critics on our high horses, it's best to help other hunters back onto their own saddle as compared to trampling them in the mud. Just listen to the rest of that meateater podcast with Dan from CRWM to learn the intra-culture movements we can have if we all at least try to be on the same team.