I’m not looking for honey holes but…

Swamp Fox

WKR
Don't know the name, don't know if it's still open, but in Speedwell, Virginia it won't be hard to find unless you blink while passing through.

Best Virginia BBQ ever, if you're the kind of weirdo that believes beef can be BBQ ...

SonnyDay

WKR
There have been 4 places listed so far that I consider mediocre or not good. Well played fellow Rokslide members. Never give up any honey hole of any type. Ever.
I was definitely weighting my recs by location... FWIW.

Gwin's Lodge of any vintage would have gone out of business on day 1 in any town bigger than Cooper Landing (pop. ~200 in those days).

Haha!

I’m actually heading through Dexter on the way to MN on Monday. I’ll have to check out the Duck!
The owner, Brad, will be behind the grill and you can see him from the window into the kitchen. He usually has a bandana on his head while cooking. I forgot to mention they have a full bar too.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I worked at Gwin's for a bit a (long) while back. Agreed that things kinda fell apart over there after about '98.

I second Fiesta Jalisco in Craig. Food was really good, service was fast, and the margarita was large....
Can’t say the same for there other locations but that one is decent.
The Subway in Kremmling, Colorado is pretty good. They'll even make you a sandwich to go, take it fishing, eat it on the bank. You do that you're living life.
That’s the truth! Definitely one of the better subways I’ve been. Besides the Kum&Go pizza it’s the only edible food in the area.

def90

WKR
Post up some lesser-known honey hole eateries you all have come across in your outdoor ventures. Don’t know if it’s just the adventure of a new place or what, but I always seem to find some great local spots when I’m driving the forest roads during scouting season.

I’ll start with the Bucksbort Saloon in Pine, CO. It’s a great place a few miles off the beaten path. Good food and drinks and just a “homey” feeling place.

The Bucksnort is where it's at! Should be re-opening soon.

Y’all ever happen into the Mint in Lewistown Montana in the 2008ish timeframe? Man that place was the tits. I liked the creamy artichoke chicken but they cooked a mean steak too.

Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, NM is good
El Bruno’s - Cuba, NM
Los Hermanitos - Farmington, NM
3 Rivers Eatery/brewhouse - Farmington, NM
Wec’s - Farmington and Albuquerque, NM
Serious Texas BBQ - Durango, CO
Durango Downtown Diner - Durango, CO
Old Timer’s Cafe - Durango, CO
Carver’s - Durango, CO

Can you tell which states I spend most of my time in? 🤣

Many years ago we would stop at The Muckers Bucket in Creede, CO. It’s probably long gone now though.

So many great places for NM food all over the state.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Secret Stash Pizzeria in Crested Butte, CO, funky hippy Nepal themed place but very good pizza.

Second, not sure if it's still around but Tack's General Store on Chena Hot Springs Rd outside of Fox, AK. They had a real generous piece of homemade pie for $4.00, ok, that was back in the late 90s..... but so good. And, another favorite from the late 90s was the Turtle Club outside of Fairbanks, AK on the Old Steese Hwy. We always thought it was in Fox, AK. Incredible prime rib and halibut. I looked it up and it's still there. Used to like the Halibut House in Valdez, AK too but I hear it's not the same.

Dos Perros, I've used Subway as my go to meal after elk hunting the past two years also. Pretty good sandwich that's fresh food and not in a pouch!