"Street Legal" dirt bike for Novice

Off the bat...I do suffer from analysis paralysis. And I've been down maybe 60 hours of YT vids. I am 52. And never grew up or rode a dirt bike until I bought my first at 48. XR400. From some forum surfing, I believed this was the ultimate "Prepper" bike. But learning on it and stalling non stop and kicking that pig REALLY took away from the fun. I moved it and bought a KTM 450 EXC. Still own it. Like it.

I am very timid and have no balls. I have no speed junkie bone in me. Do like single track and technical. Just took a professional class. Per the instructor I am rather competent. I am not impressed with my skill but I do practice.

Watching so many vids I swore I wanted to upgrade to a CRF250L. The street legal ability is very appealing. The fuel injection. And the insane? service intervals of 8000 miles. Never really thought of service interval issues, but I can see the issue. Then I discovered the new 300L...which is unobtainium currently. Or you pay way over MSRP.

But what about a WR250F?

My goals: Ability to legally ride it on the road. Don't need a commuter. Don't have any real plans of pavement other than to get to dirt roads in between. The idea of a shuttle bike ability to stash at raft take outs for fishing floats is a real appeal. As is the ability to "scout" and knock out many miles of forest service roads that would take hours in a pick up. Lastly I have an off grid place in a rural spot. No comms. I have inReach. Would be great to have a bike I can head out on a little pavement, a ton of dirt roads and maybe some single track to go fish and leave my wife with the Van/Pick Up while I dick around.

I can ride right out of my house on dirt roads to access single track. Also, here outside Spokane there is an incredible ORV park to build skills, as well as some great riding single track within 30 miles. So in summary I see my use as: 40% single track dicking around for 30-60 min rides. 40% Forest Service roads for scouting and exploring. 10% pavement to get from A to B. And 10% shuttle bike for 308 mile pavement stretches.

I follow Adventure Daily on YT. He swaps bikes all the time. He's currently on a CRF250F. Fuel injected but air cooled. Many talk about the "Bullet Proofness" of that concept. Can someone explain what's so great about it? Other than not having a radiator or cooling system to fail or get punctured. Can you ride these bikes in 100F single tracks? My KTM, even being liquid cooled....often overheats if I am pissing around and struggling through sections of trail mid summer. It needs to move and have some air flow.

OP
J
Price is an issue. New bike would be a stretch. Not dumping $10,000 on a 2023 KTM. And many of the "mods" like swapping bars, lights etc seem to be rather fun and simple for an afterwork few hours ie...making the Honda CRF250F street legal.

Bluefish

WKR
All bikes need to be moving to not overheat. Adding a radiator fan helps on water cooled bikes. I would have suggested a 230f or it’s replacement 250f, until you said you had a 450. The 450 is so much more bike than any of the 230-250 fun bikes or the xr. The ktm or beta 350/390 can be a good choice. Slightly milder power than a 450, feel lighter and still have great suspension. Also come street legal. I loved my 350, but when geared down for trails it was not a great street bike. Really only for connecting trails. I expect with stock gearing it would have been fine, but would have been tougher on the trails.
I found a reklus was a much needed addition to the 350. Really removed any chance of stalling if in the wrong gear.

I was in the same boat as you. Same age, no thrill seeking rides ( mostly )...lol wanted something street legal, quiet, and capable enough on mountain trails. I wanted to be able to run sections of dirt roads and pavement between hunt areas legally. A street legal dirt bike can also be used in any state both on and off road. I settle on a 2014 Honda CRF250L. Bought it last year for $3200...then dropped some coin to set it up the way I wanted it. Used it in Colorado and Wyoming last year, Archery and Rifle. Little adjustment to having a pack loaded to 30+ pounds but not bad. Did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Attachments

• 20220703_052709.jpg
    20220703_052709.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220703_094723.jpg
    20220703_094723.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
If you're speaking of Baty-Bould, a wr250 is very capable to handle that area including 309 and 311 trails. I ride an xt225 because it's perfect for hunting and run a yz250 for offroad.

def90

WKR
You can make any bike street legal by adding a headlight, brake light, road rated tires, a clip on mirror and in Colorado a horn.

As for new bikes for a beginner, any of the Honda CRF or XRs, the Ktm 300s, and anything else in that realm. Get a 4 stroke, they will have a more forgiving power band than a 2 stroke track bike.

Last edited:
OP
J
I was in the same boat as you. Same age, no thrill seeking rides ( mostly )...lol wanted something street legal, quiet, and capable enough on mountain trails. I wanted to be able to run sections of dirt roads and pavement between hunt areas legally. A street legal dirt bike can also be used in any state both on and off road. I settle on a 2014 Honda CRF250L. Bought it last year for $3200...then dropped some coin to set it up the way I wanted it. Used it in Colorado and Wyoming last year, Archery and Rifle. Little adjustment to having a pack loaded to 30+ pounds but not back. Did exactly what I wanted it to do.
How do you like the rear hitch rack? Exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. Many suggest against it. I have several vehicles. Recently purchased a Quigley converted 4x4 E-250 van. Having the bike on the back is exactly what I was speaking about. Mrs and the dogs can hang out wherever while I explore.

No ragerts on the 250L?

Not sure I would keep both my current KTM450 AND a new bike.

Part of me think learning on the bigger 450 EXC will be a bonus. When I took my class I rode the instructor's bike a bit. Yamaha TTR 225 or 250. Don't member. I for sure had more balls on his bike. Smaller, lower, less HP.

The older CRF250Ls are much more readily available than the CRF300Ls which are super rare. Wasted most of my Saturday morning watching 250 vs 300L comparisons.

No Regrets, it really does what I want it to and on a budget. I set it up with rear rack and bag, added side supports for panniers later. Swapped all the lighting out for LED and added two LED spots up front and all together lights pull less amps than with original bulbs ( that includes spots on ).
I like the hitch carrier. Look close in the pic and you can see I added turn buckles along with front and rear tie downs. I was worried about it staying put on wash board dirt roads. No issues. My truck sits up a bit so I do have to take my time and be careful loading and unloading. Usually find a hill when I can get an easy ramp angle...problem solved.

It will be quite a loss in power from the 450. But to get point A to B it gets it done.

OP
J
why not make the ktm street legal?
Easiest and cheapest. Think about it. Has been great so far. Think it has a pretty good amount of miles/hours on it. Stock trip computer is a pain to learn. I'll look. Just 2005 build and technology really. Not sure it gives me an Uber Reliable warm n fuzzy.

Rode county dirt roads about 4 miles out and back with logging roads and single track this evening with no issues. But I always kinda worry riding solo.

Coldtrail

WKR
I'd second the DRZ, especially since it sounds like you have some riding skills, they are a solid bike without breaking the bank and give you a bit better on road ability than any 250. You can lope along on dirt roads all day pretty comfortable and still run single track, parts new and used are everywhere and simple maintenance.

Wrench

WKR
I had a tw200 set up very well. It was a great bike for what it's supposed to be....but if you've rode a real bike you will be seriously handicapped by the tw's pig like handling. They're awesome on very soft ground and they're low....that's the list of plusses. They push in corners, are an ergonomics disaster, suck on suspension and feel 3 feet wide. The center of gravity is too high on the bike with a seat and bars too low to stand.....so you end up foot flailing on technical climbs that even an xt225 will fly up with the rider standing.

The plus side is that you can carry half an elk easy enough with the right rack.

I’ve owned everything from wr’s to klx’s, and the TW200 is what I have the most fun on. It’s bulletproof as well and gets 80 mpg

OP
J
The TW is where I started looking over a year ago. But maybe Wrench is right.....that's a fat chick at last call??? I say my skills are terrible. I am several lifetimes from Graham Jarvis. But I do think a TW would leave me wanting.

I just went down 2 hours of DR rabbit holes. It's a maybe. As much as I keep coming back around to the CRF300L which is selling used for way more than MSRP....if you can find one. Lots is really thinking the predecessor in CRF250L and add to the shitty suspension. The 300L will need the same suspension upgrades. And I can gear down from just a few bucks.

Wrench

WKR
Be aware that guys taking suspension are probably pacing two to three gears higher than a novice. A square edge hit at second gear is nothing compared to one in 4th or 5th....and suspension tuned for a pro pace will rattle the crap out of you at tw pace.

When I would run fire roads in the joe at 40mph it felt like I was going to break the tw in half....and the push in the corners was SCARY. My xt can pull that pace easily. My yz can add 20mph with the same confidence....but sucks at sub 10mph something fierce.

prm

WKR
For what you describe, a 250 will be great. Not sure why you’d even need suspension upgrades. If you are trying to push the performance of the bike, then yes. But to just travel pt A to pt B, no. In my experience Honda, and Yamaha, make pretty much bullet proof bikes.

2-Stix

WKR
I have road really hard offraod hard enduro type single track for over 25 years. We have guys in our group with 12 year old bikes running with low end pros in off road races, older bikes and destroyed gear...they smoke guys on new bikes and gear all day. 85% of it is the rider. Your worrying about nothing. Run that KTM and set it up for both dirt and street. So many pros run stock suspension its alarming. Bikes in the last 15 years have been amazing. Learn to work on your bike and ride it. You said your timid...you don't need anything your talking about. Just ride.