I’m not looking for honey holes but…

jayhawk

WKR
Post up some lesser-known honey hole eateries you all have come across in your outdoor ventures. Don’t know if it’s just the adventure of a new place or what, but I always seem to find some great local spots when I’m driving the forest roads during scouting season.

I’ll start with the Bucksbort Saloon in Pine, CO. It’s a great place a few miles off the beaten path. Good food and drinks and just a “homey” feeling place.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s not a bad idea to ask if there is anything not on the menu that is extra good. There was a Wyoming sports bar that has steak nachos - half a ribeye - for under $10. It might be that was a secret perk only for employees, but I saw one go by and immediately ordered it. Crazy good

"The Rusty Duck", Dexter, IA. About 40 minutes west of Des Moines just north of I80.
  • Outstanding burgers and mouth watering steak de burgo (rib eye)
  • Great sides
  • Be patient. Place is small and gets busy fast at dinner time. The owner, Brad, is great to have a drink with, and doesn't stand for rude or needy clientelle.
"The Dairy Sweet", Dunlap, IA. About 25 minutes east of the Loess Hills in Western, IA.
  • Tasty burgers, fries, cheese curds, and creative ice cream (Twin Bing and homemade cookie dough blizzards!)
The original "Quincy's" in Leadville, CO.
  • Whenever I'm within a hundred miles or so, I make a point to head up to Leadville to eat at Quincy's.
  • Outstanding filet and prime rib
  • Homemade desserts
  • Great prices!
  • Unique location and cool history
One to avoid that used to be very high on my list. "The Winchester" in Buffalo, WY. 20 years ago it was our go-to place when in the area. We stopped at the end of 8 day hunt in the Big Horns in the fall of '22, and it was mediocre at best. The place has changed owners several times in the last 10 years or so and has lost it's charm and outstanding food. I may try it again for nostalgia next time we're over there, but I will keep my expectations low.

A couple spots we like in Ft. Collins, CO.
  • "La Creperie & French Bakery" has a great breakfast menu and their baked goods are out of this world
  • "The Still Whiskey Steaks" has very good steak dinners, and our favorite appetizer is the "Meat Pile". They also have an excellent selection of mid-high end bourbon and will sell you entire bottles.

Last edited:

cck311

FNG
The Antimony Merc in Utah. It's right on the north end of the Mt. Dutton unit in the little town of Antimony if you ever find yourself hunting elk or antelope on Mt. Dutton. Get yourself a Merc Burger and make sure you have some wipes in your pack for the aftermath.

Pagosa Springs. Lost Cajun has some decent coon-ass food. About as close to New Orleans style as you can get. Owner is from New Orleans, and gets supplies shipped in directly from New Orleans, like Leidenheimer french bread for po-boys.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
The Sizzling Pickle in Craig Colorado. It’s not the absolute greatest meal I’ve ever eaten, but it’s by far the one that I’ve always been the most surprised by. It’s an unassuming little bar with not much space to sit, but the staff was awesome and the food was totally solid. It was one of those “don’t judge a book by its cover” kind of places. If I ever end up back in Craig, I’ll be eating there a couple times for dinner.

Post up some lesser-known honey hole eateries you all have come across in your outdoor ventures. Don’t know if it’s just the adventure of a new place or what, but I always seem to find some great local spots when I’m driving the forest roads during scouting season.

I’ll start with the Bucksbort Saloon in Pine, CO. It’s a great place a few miles off the beaten path. Good food and drinks and just a “homey” feeling place.
The Bucksnort is good but I really like Zokas in Pine. Nothing beats a Zoka burger after a couple long days in the woods.

WCB

WKR
Stockman Steak House in White Sulphur Springs MT. I guess these days not off any beaten path or whatever. But ate there before while guiding in MT and visiting family. Hit it up again a couple years ago while elk hunting somewhat in the area. Great Ribeye, baked potato, and salad. Of course I just spent the previous 8 or 9 does living out of my pack.

I wish I knew the name of the food truck but I believe the operated out of Billings MT. But spent the summer (or at least part of it) on the Big Horn River out of Fort Smith. Absolutely the best hamburger I have every had. stopped in a couple times in Billings same every time.

Two Brothers Roadhouse in Cooper Landing, AK. Catch an early limit of fish, have Bloody Marys back at camp around the fire, then hit up Two Brothers for live music outside and Pulled Pork nachos that swim in a pool of queso. They have pretty legit pizza too.

Mary’s McKinley View Lodge on Mile 134 of the Parks. By far the best bargain in AK with quality food. Owner passed a couple years ago, so hopefully it’s still the same.

"The Rusty Duck", Dexter, IA. About 40 minutes west of Des Moines just north of I80.
  • Outstanding burgers and mouth watering steak de burgo (rib eye)
  • Great sides
  • Be patient. Place is small and gets busy fast at dinner time. The owner, Brad, is great to have a drink with, and doesn't stand for rude or needy clientelle.
"The Dairy Sweet", Dunlap, IA. About 25 minutes east of the Loess Hills in Western, IA.
  • Tasty burgers, fries, cheese curds, and creative ice cream (Twin Bing and homemade cookie dough blizzards!)
The original "Quincy's" in Leadville, CO.
  • Whenever I'm within a hundred miles or so, I make a point to head up to Leadville to eat at Quincy's.
  • Outstanding filet and prime rib
  • Homemade desserts
  • Great prices!
  • Unique location and cool history
One to avoid that used to be very high on my list. "The Winchester" in Buffalo, WY. 20 years ago it was our go-to place when in the area. We stopped at the end of 8 day hunt in the Big Horns in the fall of '22, and it was mediocre at best. The place has changed owners several times in the last 10 years or so and has lost it's charm and outstanding food. I may try it again for nostalgia next time we're over there, but I will keep my expectations low.

A couple spots we like in Ft. Collins, CO.
  • "La Creperie & French Bakery" has a great breakfast menu and their baked goods are out of this world
  • "The Still Whiskey Steaks" has very good steak dinners, and our favorite appetizer is the "Meat Pile". They also have an excellent selection of mid-high end bourbon and will sell you entire bottles.
I've never been a fan of Quincy's. It's decent. but for leadville fare I prefer High Mountain Pies and used to frequent the Grill when it was open.

Two Brothers Roadhouse in Cooper Landing, AK. Catch an early limit of fish, have Bloody Marys back at camp around the fire, then hit up Two Brothers for live music outside and Pulled Pork nachos that swim in a pool of queso. They have pretty legit pizza too.

Mary’s McKinley View Lodge on Mile 134 of the Parks. By far the best bargain in AK with quality food. Owner passed a couple years ago, so hopefully it’s still the same.
Was that two brothers place called something else a few years ago. i feel like it was but cant remember what it is.

we typically stop at the cooper landing brewery, burgers are awesome beers are good and they got a outdoor sandbox for the kid to play in.

Pagosa Springs. Lost Cajun has some decent coon-ass food. About as close to New Orleans style as you can get. Owner is from New Orleans, and gets supplies shipped in directly from New Orleans, like Leidenheimer french bread for po-boys.
Riff Raff Brewing has good burgers. Also some really good food at Coyote Moon

Don't forget the GunniSack in Gunnison. Decent stuff there too.

Eddyline brewing taproom in Buena Vista has really good bar food! Ive heard the restaurant is good as well but we like the vibe in the taproom. K's Dairy Delite in Buena vista has good burgers and always has a long line.

Lytro

WKR
Highline Cafe & Saloon - Hartsel, CO
Biggie's - Buena Vista, CO
El Paraiso - Gunnison, CO
Mad Jack's Mountaintop BBQ - Cloudcroft, NM
Rockin' BZ Burgers - Alamogordo, NM (or any non-chain restaurant in NM with green chili cheeseburgers)
No. 3 Saloon - Buffalo, SD