I want to paint my house - roll/brush or spray?

Geewhiz

WKR
Is it good practice to spray without back brushing? Not being an experienced painter I thought you were always supposed to back brush/roll after spraying. Am I wrong?

Agross

WKR
I am getting my house painted right now as I type this. No way in hell I would do it myself. I hate painting, like hate it . And for all that is involved with it ,before during and after , it would take me forever to do it myself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is it good practice to spray without back brushing? Not being an experienced painter I thought you were always supposed to back brush/roll after spraying. Am I wrong?
I would (and did/do) back brush when I spray. It gets the paint into cracks and helps smooth out places you sprayed too thick. It also helps you spot areas that the sprayer misses.

I think it’s extra important to back brush with your primer layer.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am getting my house painted right now as I type this. No way in hell I would do it myself. I hate painting, like hate it . And for all that is involved with it ,before during and after , it would take me forever to do it myself.
It is 100% a pain in the ass. Everybody should do it once by themselves though so they can appreciate it.

Preach it! That’s one task I will pay someone else to do every single time.

That along with Sheetrock and concrete.

Been there, tried that, won’t do it again, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IdahoElk

WKR
I like using a brush so the paint gets in every nook and cranny, Of course it takes more time and effort but to me it's worth it.
Did my house last year with Sherman Williams Emerald, That paint is bomb proof and looks beautiful.

I'm going to be painting or having my house painted in the next year. It's 1958 ranch style 1300sqft red/orange brick, but we're selling it in a few years and want it to have that updated trendy look for curb appeal.

I've got this sprayer I used for the doors in my house https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-T...ndheld-Airless-Paint-Sprayer-26D283/319886706. I've been considering whether I'll spray or roll, but I think I'm just asking for punishment if I attempt to use this tiny thing for my house. I'd be refilling the cup every 5 minutes.

Maybe I'll just hire it out.

Just finished staining our hunting cabin with two coats of Sherwin Williams latex solid stain. Brush and roller. Sucks big time but gets stain into the wood pores better. Should be good for another 10 years or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 9
Proper prepping and caulking is 80% of the work. lol I learned many years ago that I would rather go to work on a weekend and give what I would have earned, to a guy to complete whatever job I need completed on my house. Chances are, they are gonna be better at it and I know I know how easy my job is. Pavers, painting, landscaping, Tile work are some of the last jobs I decided to have contractors do.