I gots the Covid.

4rcgoat

WKR
Ya, I understand.

What I try to get across with my posts is that every shift I work I care for people on the whole "It's a liberal conspiracy!, Face diapers and the jab are bullshit!, I'm healthy so it doesn't apply to me!," bandwagon. I get it. And I understand some folks will always feel that way, up to accusing us of incompetence while we wheel them to ICU to be intubated.

My hope is that some on the fence will listen and take into consideration just how bad this can get for them and their families. "I just didn't think it could get this bad." is something I have heard over and over from patients and families.

It is correct that as health care workers we signed up for this. I share what I do so folks possibly understand just how beat down staff is. Watching people suffer like this for two years is significant, and it is really having an effect. Compassion fatigue is real.
And i am truly grateful for what you ALL do. Thankyou.

I don’t think that comparing healthcare workers dealing with a pandemic to the military dealing with a war is a very good comparison. The only similarity IMO is that they both deal with battles and they both deal with death.
Sure, you could say that both the military and the healthcare providers knew what they were getting into when they signed up to do what they do, but is that really a good comparison? I guess if we are at war and somebody joins the military then absolutely, they have a good idea of what they’re about to get into, just like if somebody decides to enter the healthcare profession right now. I think that most people joining the military, regardless of the current state that our country is in, have a decent idea about the possibilities of going to war while they are in the military. I would venture to say that by comparison, that the vast majority of people who entered the healthcare profession prior to this pandemic, had no thought of something like this ever occurring in their lifetime. If we are to compare, than how many wars has the United States experienced (fought in), since it came into existence in 1776? How many pandemics has United States experienced (fought in), since 1776?

Just over 600,000 Americans died in the Civil War (our highest ranking war with American casualties), and over half of them died off the battle field from disease or infected wounds. So far just over 800,000 American deaths have been attributed to this pandemic (although this number is debated, and rightfully so, it is still a very high number). The Civil War lasted four years, this pandemic has been going on in the United States for 2 years.
I’d be curious to know how many Americans died in the Civil War that weren’t actually fighting on the front line, as well as, I would be curious to know how many Americans have died from this pandemic, who weren’t actually in the healthcare profession “fighting on the front line”. I’d also be curious to know how many Americans were permanently crippled in the Civil War as compared to how many Americans have been permanently crippled (cardiac cripples, pulmonary cripples, etc.), from this pandemic?

Anyway, I could probably go on and on, but my point is, I just don’t think the two are a very good apples to apples comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You either signed up or volunteered to take care of people in the ICU or you didn't. Either way, that's your job.........if that's your job. Just because it got busier than normal the past two years shouldn't really matter......it's still your job. So you either continue in said job.......or you choose a different job just like everyone else in the world does. Life is dynamic and we have plenty of career choices over a lifetime. People burn out of all kinds of jobs even without pandemics. I've known military folks that couldn't handle the deployment rigors the past 20 years that "just had to leave", and I've known some that live and thrive for the next one. Everyone is different and has to make their own choices in this.......just like the choice to get vaccinated or not. Just so our nation continues to "allow" us to make those choices instead of forcing us to make the choice they want us to make. Oh, too late for that for a lot of folks who wanted to keep their jobs. SMH

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, I understand.

What I try to get across with my posts is that every shift I work I care for people on the whole "It's a liberal conspiracy!, Face diapers and the jab are bullshit!, I'm healthy so it doesn't apply to me!," bandwagon. I get it. And I understand some folks will always feel that way, up to accusing us of incompetence while we wheel them to ICU to be intubated.

My hope is that some on the fence will listen and take into consideration just how bad this can get for them and their families. "I just didn't think it could get this bad." is something I have heard over and over from patients and families.

It is correct that as health care workers we signed up for this. I share what I do so folks possibly understand just how beat down staff is. Watching people suffer like this for two years is significant, and it is really having an effect. Compassion fatigue is real.
Front lines is not easy, thank you for your service. My cousin is on the covid ward. We have lost two very close friends of our family. One vaccinated and one was not. Both had pre existing health problems. No silver bullet, this will be a long battle. The reality is modern medicine has kept a significant portion of our population alive but it hasn’t made them healthy. My grandmother, dad and mother in law would not be on this earth without blood pressure medicine. Life is short, make sure your loved ones know how much you love them and enjoy your life as best you can.

You either signed up or volunteered to take care of people in the ICU or you didn't. Either way, that's your job.........if that's your job. Just because it got busier than normal the past two years shouldn't really matter......it's still your job. So you either continue in said job.......or you choose a different job just like everyone else in the world does. Life is dynamic and we have plenty of career choices over a lifetime. People burn out of all kinds of jobs even without pandemics. I've known military folks that couldn't handle the deployment rigors the past 20 years that "just had to leave", and I've known some that live and thrive for the next one. Everyone is different and has to make their own choices in this.......just like the choice to get vaccinated or not. Just so our nation continues to "allow" us to make those choices instead of forcing us to make the choice they want us to make. Oh, too late for that for a lot of folks who wanted to keep their jobs. SMH
So there is no issue with a private company making the choice to let go of people who refuse a vaccination?

WRO

WKR
The primary risk factor for COVID is age, not obesity.

But that still doesn't address the point that people with COVID - and most specifically the unvaccinated - have put an unprecedented burden on our healthcare system and that people other than the COVID suffers are dying because of the decision not to get vaccinated. While certainly not as direct, it has some parallels with abortion, no? My body, my choice? Or do we need to take into account others than the person making the decision.
Lack of early treatment plays into that..

I have 4 friend with recent covid, 3 have had myocolinal antibodies and are fine. 4th was refused for no good reason and it really sick..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is true, and after over a quarter century working in the ICU setting this is why I left. We definitely don’t have said “silver bullet”, but we do have some ammo to use against this enemy. If people choose not to use that ammo, that’s their choice, I just wish that they would stand by their convictions (if they’ve chosen to not use the ammo that we have on hand), and deal with their choices at home. IMO it’s wrong to put other peoples lives/health at risk because you made the choice to not use the only ammo that is available to use against the enemy.

It's a head scratcher for sure. The local hospital group is firing employees if they don't get vaxed while simultaneously running aggressive hiring campaigns.

My favorite is the absolute relentless get vaxed campaigns on the TV, radio, and billboards. Now they're throwing in radio adds to watch for the symptoms of blood cloats and heart problems "Brought to you by Bristol Myer Squib and Pfizer"

This whole thing is f'd

This is true, and after over a quarter century working in the ICU setting this is why I left. We definitely don’t have said “silver bullet”, but we do have some ammo to use against this enemy. If people choose not to use that ammo, that’s their choice, I just wish that they would stand by their convictions (if they’ve chosen to not use the ammo that we have on hand), and deal with their choices at home. IMO it’s wrong to put other peoples lives/health at risk because you made the choice to not use the only ammo that is available to use against the enemy.

Only ammo?
How about exercise? Vitamin d? Diet improvements? Nasal rinses? Monoclonal antibodies?

Why our "medical experts" have totally ignored telling Americans to get healthy is beyond me. I know at the beginning prioritizing info was difficult, but how many press conferences were held to discuss the DATA regarding our poor health being the single LARGEST indicator of hospitalization and death? Period. Way more indicative than vaccine status.
It's been two years. I've never heard or seen it from the people pushing "the only ammo" we have...

Only ammo?
How about exercise? Vitamin d? Diet improvements? Nasal rinses? Monoclonal antibodies?

Why our "medical experts" have totally ignored telling Americans to get healthy is beyond me. I know at the beginning prioritizing info was difficult, but how many press conferences were held to discuss the DATA regarding our poor health being the single LARGEST indicator of hospitalization and death? Period. Way more indicative than vaccine status.
It's been two years. I've never heard or seen it from the people pushing "the only ammo" we have...

Wow, really? This is laughable, “why our medical experts have totally ignored telling Americans to get healthy is totally beyond you”, seriously? You’re joking, right? So what, you believe that this whole time “our medical experts” were conspiring against the American people and not promoting good health and fitness? Wake up brother, our “medical experts” have been advocating for healthy living, diet and exercise from the beginning, and if you believe that not to be true than I got nothing for you, and you should probably seek out a place to live that has a better health care system.

Blandry

WKR
This discussion is great and I'm glad it wasn't squashed by the mods. I got the 'jab' not because I wanted it but because my TSIS gov job required it thanks to the current administration.

I have to say, the second shot put me down with fever and such but I guess I'm glad I got it. If it saves my life down the road so be it. I waited until the last minute to get it.. Nov 30 and we had a Dec 8 deadline which I really missed according to my employer but wasn't going to argue

Last edited:

WA209

FNG
Fatcamp….
Where the extremely sick patients given any early treatment? Or told to go home and isolate, go to er if your lips turn blue or have trouble breathing.

Ak troutbum….
How can a person with covid be a danger to medical staff, if said staff is vaccinated and or wearing ppe?

To both gentlemen, not trying to start a argument just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing still.

Also, someone posted they had a patient or patients that had been infected more than once, if tests where accurate, someone might want to let that Dr that was on Rogans show know ?

4rcgoat

WKR
Wow, really? This is laughable, “why our medical experts have totally ignored telling Americans to get healthy is totally beyond you”, seriously? You’re joking, right? So what, you believe that this whole time “our medical experts” were conspiring against the American people and not promoting good health and fitness? Wake up brother, our “medical experts” have been advocating for healthy living, diet and exercise from the beginning, and if you believe that not to be true than I got nothing for you, and you should probably seek out a place to live that has a better health care system.

IF our government but as much emphasis on eating right and taking care of ourselves as they are doing with just"getting the jab", then there is no doubt it would have at least some positive effects. Our "experts" abandoned the general public a long time ago,zero national campaigns pushing to get people stronger, no scare tactics showing people the horror of what some of the stuff we put in our bodies does in the long run,no shaming people into thinking they better clean up or else......these experts have turned a blind eye to general public wellness, just take a bunch of meds and get boosted,that should take care of decades of neglect. I know i shouldn't be trying to draw a parallel line between fitness and covid,but how dare this useless administration shame me for not getting vaxxed while they turn a blind eye to obesity AND legalize EVERY illegal drug on earth in some states.....the land of hypocrisy.

I've not seen a single headline that says "This is a pandemic of the unhealthy"
No scrolling tag lines that say, "_% of deaths are obese people."
We told everyone to stay inside and stay safe. Spent trillions on stimulus.
Did they ever offer vouchers for gym membership? Discounts on healthier foods?
I'm not saying they shouldn't have pushed for a vaccine, but couldn't they have ALSO pushed health? Especially since the NUMBER ONE cause of death is still heart disease, even after covid. Why is it an either or proposition? I tell at risk people to get the shot and get healthy all the time. Not that I'm a medical professional, lol
Look, I'm not not trying to minimize covid, or lump everyone into a single group. We do know that obesity is a factor, we do know what puts you in the at risk group. BUT, that's not the main narrative.

Wasn't this a great opportunity to educate the public on getting fit? Eating right?
What if fauci said "even after covid, heart disease still kills more people, guys we as a nation need to get healthy?" Couldn't he have said "i'm recommending an hour of exercise a week for every American" just as easily as "i'm recommending every American wear a mask?"

Couldn't that have results that help out you healthcare professionals out FOR YEARS TO COME?

Outlaw99

WKR
I’m unvaccinated, 2 days ago I had a rough night of sweats and chills, woke up thinking I had Covid. Being my dad was in the hospital, I knew I needed to get tested before going and seeing him. Test came back positive. I was already feeling completely wiped and everything on my body hurt. I went to the one and only clinic within 60 miles of here that administers the monoclonal antibody shots. I received the 4 shots and within 24 hrs have been feeling as good as I have in months. I’m not going to get into the whole vax debate. I will however say, if you contract it and are feeling bad, the monoclonal shots sure worked their magic on me.

Also, would you watch this? Just the LAST MINUTE of this video. Start at 23:00. This interview was April 2019.

I would respectfully ask you, where did that fauci go? Where was that message? Why did it change? Two years later, why hasn't that advice been shouted from the rooftops?

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think that comparing healthcare workers dealing with a pandemic to the military dealing with a war is a very good comparison. The only similarity IMO is that they both deal with battles and they both deal with death.
Sure, you could say that both the military and the healthcare providers knew what they were getting into when they signed up to do what they do, but is that really a good comparison? I guess if we are at war and somebody joins the military then absolutely, they have a good idea of what they’re about to get into, just like if somebody decides to enter the healthcare profession right now. I think that most people joining the military, regardless of the current state that our country is in, have a decent idea about the possibilities of going to war while they are in the military. I would venture to say that by comparison, that the vast majority of people who entered the healthcare profession prior to this pandemic, had no thought of something like this ever occurring in their lifetime. If we are to compare, than how many wars has the United States experienced (fought in), since it came into existence in 1776? How many pandemics has United States experienced (fought in), since 1776?

Just over 600,000 Americans died in the Civil War (our highest ranking war with American casualties), and over half of them died off the battle field from disease or infected wounds. So far just over 800,000 American deaths have been attributed to this pandemic (although this number is debated, and rightfully so, it is still a very high number). The Civil War lasted four years, this pandemic has been going on in the United States for 2 years.
I’d be curious to know how many Americans died in the Civil War that weren’t actually fighting on the front line, as well as, I would be curious to know how many Americans have died from this pandemic, who weren’t actually in the healthcare profession “fighting on the front line”. I’d also be curious to know how many Americans were permanently crippled in the Civil War as compared to how many Americans have been permanently crippled (cardiac cripples, pulmonary cripples, etc.), from this pandemic?

Anyway, I could probably go on and on, but my point is, I just don’t think the two are a very good apples to apples comparison.

I've got my disagreements, but have great sympathy for the health care workers that have to deal with the death and suffering every day.
Wether you were fully aware of what you signed up for it or not, everyone has a breaking point. That is true of all people, be they soldiers or nurses. It's part of being human.

Anyway, my gratitude and respect for the difficulties you deal with, and the toll it can take.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So there is no issue with a private company making the choice to let go of people who refuse a vaccination?
I believe that EVERY private business should be able to make their own choices in running their businesses as they please. But we all know that the government doesn't allow them to do that. So the real problem is the government agreeing with one choice they make, yet preventing the same business from making their own choices for running their business in other ways. So in the end it always comes down to the companies being able to run their businesses........as long as they make the choices that "the government" wants them to make. So in the end, it's not the company making those choices.