How Much of Your Income do You Spend on Hunting?

What % of Your Annual Income Do You Spend on Hunting?

• Total voters
It has gotten expensive since I retired and have gone on several guided hunts in the NWT (3), Nunavut (2) and Alaska. Prior to that it was maybe around 10% of income when I was working, and some years more with DIY hunts out of state/province as far away as Alaska (moose & caribou twice) Quebec etc and some cheaper guided things like local cougars and Woodland Caribou.

It costs what it costs, haven’t regretted it yet and my family is well taken care of.

In my experience spending money to get into hunting can be expensive. But don’t fool yourself into thinking you will stop buying guns and gear. You will always need more stuff and plus you’ll be upgrading all that stuff after a few years. Almost everything I’ve ever compromised on because I couldn’t afford it i have been upgrading as I go. For all you newbies out there buy stuff that has a decent resale market and take care of your gear. Because you will want to upgrade eventually. I’ve learned glass is the best place to put money for me. Swarovski ftw!

This is confusing for me. Basically everything I purchase can be construed as going towards hunting, except for food, insurance, and maybe a few other things (depending on how you look at it that could go towards hunting as well). I have a farm, I farm as a way to pay for the land, so I can hunt on it. Typically in farming most of the incurred costs are business expenses. So my gross is up there pretty good, but so are all my expenses. Long story short I spend way too much on hunting.

Even my trapping is a business expense.

diggerak

FNG
Not much hunt a mile from home and only buy archery tag. Work two jobs all summer. So maybe 1%

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

pkahnke

FNG
I’d guess a full 1/3 in one way or another between hunting/fishing and travel.