How much money do you spend?

madcalfe

WKR
The majority of guys I talk to at trailheads that is their one hunt a year and they have honestly not counting weapon and optics, have probably $3000 just in clothing if not more. $600 pack. $300-$500 boots. Then add everything in it. Then think about what they have at home because every year they buy the new item or need a full suit for every season. I can count on one hand the number of these guys I have ran into that had clothes that didn't look like the tag was just taken off of it

But that's how you tell they are hardcore hunters!
lol shit adds up. I run around chasing sheep with close to 20,000$ in gear.
rifle/scope, spotter, RF binos close to 15K right there.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
Spend as much as necessary and only more when needed and you will be fine. What necessary is depends on who you are talking to.

JD Jones

WKR
This thread seems like a trap.

I spend what I need to spend. There’s certainly things that I have upgraded but my last bow lasted 11years, had a pair of zen Ray binos I used for 13?… played with new tents for a couple seasons just to realize the style I used before was what still works so I landed on an upgraded version… not a cheap sport but when you carry next to zero debt, these expensive toys and tools don’t feel as expensive

Echo

FNG
Screw it - can’t take money with you to the grave. It comes and goes. But time only goes, might as well spend it on the things we love to do with the people we love to be with.

WKR
I must be the only guy that can walk into a sporting goods store with a gift card that was given to me, and walk out every time without buying anything because I couldn't find anything I wanted.
I do that too, but primers and Accubonds and inexpensive plinking ammo are bound to return to store shelves eventually.

Honestly, I think chasing sheep is on a whole different level. That terrain commands a different level of respect.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I try to take note of what gives me issues during the season and find products that solve the problems. This years was a new tree stand pack, a different Bino harness, and new phone so new digiscope case

Haven't you ever heard that what you put out on the internet is there forever??

There is no way in hell I am going to put a number on what it costs for my way of life.. :)

I must be the only guy that can walk into a sporting goods store with a gift card that was given to me, and walk out every time without buying anything because I couldn't find anything I wanted.
I’m there.

I’m out of needs, and the wants I have are extremely specific. Most aren’t had at a big box store.

At this point I’m adding some very specific unique items. For example I just added a half nest from the classifieds section for my Cimmeron for summer/early season use.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Do you think we could get a group discount at Kuiu or Exo, or Swarovski ????😬
Best I could do is a 1 day K4 pre-launch pre-order at exo so you can get your money spent before all the rest of the addicts

Fatcamp

WKR
I try to take note of what gives me issues during the season and find products that solve the problems. This years was a new tree stand pack, a different Bino harness, and new phone so new digiscope case

Exactly. This year was a new pack bag and a better spotting scope, but I sold off excess gear to cover most of the cost.

Boats seem to eat up cash though. Oh well.

Stalker69

WKR
I don't hunt very much any more, but still feel the need for new guns, bows, now high power pellet guns, tents, packs, fishing stuff. Seems I always have something ordered some where. I have guns that I haven't even shot yet. Chronos, and long range camera that haven't been used, purchased 2 years ago. As far as how much, damn, I don't even want to think about it, but it's a lot. Waaaay more then I need, or should.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
I accumulate a lot of gift cards also, but I always buy cases of shot gun shells with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Happens to me too. But if its my money, I could spend 5x as much as I brought no problem.
I'm even tighter with my own money.

Just starting out I get it. We need stuff and we don't even know what we don't know yet. It took me years to perfect my gear and setups, as I was always making tweaks to it after every season. But as Cnelk said, "at some point you have everything that you need".

I'm pretty picky.......ok......OCD, anal, demanding, perfectionist, etc. But when you finally have what you like, what works, what you don't have to worry about......then the only issue is making sure you have backups for those items, because without a doubt those items will be changed by the manufacturers and ruined for what used to be the perfect items. Either that, or they'll be completely discontinued. Although some items just keep going and going for decades and still fully function as they should......even though I have backups that are the exact same items.

WCB

WKR
Oh there are hunts/situations that it makes sense (sort of). Don't get me started on what guys spend on a gun. But the guys I'm talking about aren't sheep hunting. I'm talking the 99% of guys "kitted" out for their 1 hunt a year but have the entire KUIU, SITKA, SG, etc catalog in their pack. Most times I'm think "dude...you just shot that Antelope from the road right of way what are the trekking poles for?"