How much money after everything is paid for?

24K for auto debt? When the average car is close to 40K, many much higher and the average truck is 70K+ and most households having at least 2 auto's and at least 1 is financed? I bet that number is a lot closer to 40K.

I'm not sure if thats good, bad, or indifferent.

It doesnt matter. If thats what you got, then thats what you got. If you keep track of where you are spending money, that goes a long ways. Taco stands and the hot plate will bleed you dry.

Get a lil emergency stash put back and then pull $500 or whatever a month for screw off money. Save the rest.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope your friends don’t know your rokslide name otherwise there’s about to be a lot of “hey buddy, can I borrow some money?” calls coming your way.

I assume that’s after gas and groceries? If so do you or are planning to have kids? I’d put money away for that. Also get ahead on home and auto maintenance or build a nest egg for that (something more accessible than a 401k).

Marble

WKR
Just curious whats left over every month after all bills, food, and gas are paid for. I just recently made some big moves in life and am thinking about my budget. On a regular old month, with no extra income or side jobs, I should have atleast 2k per month to do whatever I want to do with. Save or spend. I'm not sure if thats good, bad, or indifferent.
If you are not maxing out your 401k/IRA contribution, depending on your age, 2k a month would do it.

Each month ~2k a month goes to my 401k and depending on my commissions, 2k goes into my savings. Sometimes, it's more like 3k,

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I look at our monthly budget and wonder why we only have about 20% left for savings at the end of every month, then I realize that we are giving away 12%(church and some other charity), paying an extra $350 on our mortgage(trying to pay it off a few years faster but no way I refinance to a 15 yr at the current rates) and I realize groceries have nearly doubled in the past 4 years.

The real kicker has been childcare, I looked back to 2019 when my wife and I were paying for 3 kids in daycare/preschool and it was $910/mo, this year we had 1 in preschool and it was $630/mo. I was so thankful we finally got to send our 3rd child to kindergarten this year, but alas we had an opportunity to adopt a 4th child, so right back to daycare we go in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49ereric

WKR
Being a construction worker but now retired it all depended on what type of job I was on and for how long. Dirt work being seasonal up north it was always slim margins cuz always hard to say how many months I would work. Did ok being an oiler on the pipeline due to pump pay. Didn’t do real well until I got nuke jobs during refueling outages working 6-12’s or more often 7-12’s. Maxed out IRA’s when we could but college tuition for several years stifled that combined with bad work years at times.
Feast or famine was my line of work but the small union pension checks will keep coming until I am dead.

cnelk

WKR
Only a couple of posters mentioned a monthly budget.
You gotta have a budget.

Many years ago I learned to 'pay myself first', then pay bills.
You cant do that without a budget.

Even now being retired Im putting 33% into savings each month

Fullfan

WKR
Most months we have 4-5k that gets rolled over. Would have hell of a lot more if my wife was not a crazy horse person. We both have been very blessed, I retired 10 years ago. The wife runs a very lucrative business that she loves.